PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke Carb on a 4 stroke??

McDerry
09-30-2007, 04:31 PM
I don't see any particular reason it couldnt be done if it was jetted right.

Other then now choke, but having an enrichment passage instead is there anything that in particular wouldnt let a person run one.

Reasoning is I have a KLT160a chassis in hard shape I found at the local dump, with some compression a cdi, a coil, and the vast majority of the wiring. The exciter coil has 187 ohms which is about where my running hondas are at.

Now it was missing a carb but has the intake boot. I also happen to have a old CR80carb as an extra for my lil dirtbike and it fits the intake on the KLT.

jason 32
10-01-2007, 03:05 AM
what a 2stroke 80 carb on a 200x?-lol

Nick_R_23
10-01-2007, 03:39 AM
Generally its not a good idea to switch between 2 stroke carbs and 4 stroke carbs. Will the engine run? Yes, more then likely it will, but the reason for not wanting to use a different carb is that the 2 strokes are jetted differently for one, and two, they have a different air mixture screw. (I think thats the name,, im tired so bear with me if its not ;) ) It can cause your motor to run really rich or really lean, and it will be a PITA to get jetted correctly. If you really arent concerned about the right carb, find an intake boot that will fit the motor and find a carb similar to the one thats meant for the bike. Other then that, KLTs are getting parted all the time, it should be really easy to find one for cheap.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

84honda200s
10-01-2007, 06:25 AM
ive done allot of diff types of carbs and nick my friend you hit it rite on the head. i have never put a 2 stroke carb on a 4 stroke but ive bin looking at doing it. the only thing i see that needs to be done is to rejet the carb. but as i said...ive never done it before.

Tri-ZNate
10-01-2007, 10:58 AM
One of my SXs came with an air fooler carb on it :rolleyes:. I guess they tried to rejet but were retarded because they put a 156 for a main :eek:. Anyway it ran but needed rejetting bad

jason 32
10-01-2007, 08:02 PM
yea- 4 strokers- some have air jets in the air horn that are rejettable-,needle jets,mains,depends on if its a cv carb or regular round slide / flat slide carb ect...

Nightbiker07
10-01-2007, 10:13 PM
you also have to remember how 2 and 4 strokes work.

a 4 stroke sucks the air through the carb, picking up the air and atomizing the fuel with the air on the intake stroke.

The fuel is pressurized by the piston downstroke in a 2 stroke because there is fuel in the crankcase, and therefore forces it into the upper part of the cylinder, but almost half the air that goes into the cylinder comes from the exhaust. Heres a good graphical representation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_stroke
Yes, it could work, but it will run like total garbage.

McDerry
10-02-2007, 12:23 PM
The scavenging effect should affect how the carb works, its still gonna atomize the fuel into the air when theres an upstroke of the piston.

Tryed it today.

Used a keihin 61A (its either a 26mm or a 28MM) and it fires and runs

Nightbiker07
10-02-2007, 03:20 PM
The scavenging effect should affect how the carb works, its still gonna atomize the fuel into the air when theres an upstroke of the piston.

TRIED it today.

Used a keihin 61A (its either a 26mm or a 28MM) and it fires and runs

but how well did it run?

McDerry
10-03-2007, 02:21 AM
high idle was the only thing I could see as an issue.