PDA

View Full Version : 200s only burning starting fluid

honda200s
09-29-2007, 09:08 PM
my 200s will only burn off starting fluid, I cant get it going. is there something else besides a dirty carb. Yes i have gas!!

Matt

84honda200s
09-29-2007, 09:21 PM
air/fuel mixture is off.

tbirdscott
09-29-2007, 10:33 PM
If you havnt yet, rebuild your carb. You can get a COMPLETE rebuild kit from sledpartsguy (http://myworld.ebay.com/sledpartsguy/)on ebay for $15 and they make a night and day difference, Both my bikes have them and i've installed 2 into other peoples bikes at work and it stops the running rich issues most of these old things have.

Scott

XL-erate
09-30-2007, 12:00 AM
If an engine has high enough compression it will start on ether starting fluid with no spark! If your bike will still start with a few drops of gas poured in the sparkplug hole then you know the problem is fuel starvation.

By the way, starting fluid washes all the top cylinder lubrication off of rings and cylinder walls and does immediate damage in super accelerated wear to engine. If it's used at all it's best to spray some on a rag and hold rag over intake while cranking. Still doesn't necessarily prove that spark is present.

A faulty sparkplug may not want to fire under cylinder compression because compression increases electrical resistance against spark. Ether sparks easier and can fool a guy into thinking it's a fuel problem because engine runs on ether.

84honda200s
09-30-2007, 02:20 PM
If an engine has high enough compression it will start on ether starting fluid with no spark! If your bike will still start with a few drops of gas poured in the sparkplug hole then you know the problem is fuel starvation.

By the way, starting fluid washes all the top cylinder lubrication off of rings and cylinder walls and does immediate damage in super accelerated wear to engine. If it's used at all it's best to spray some on a rag and hold rag over intake while cranking. Still doesn't necessarily prove that spark is present.

A faulty sparkplug may not want to fire under cylinder compression because compression increases electrical resistance against spark. Ether sparks easier and can fool a guy into thinking it's a fuel problem because engine runs on ether.

ive always used starting fluid (during the winter) to start my old 200s and i didnt have any problems. i agree its not totally good for the motor but if i started it for 2 winters and it did nothing to it he should be fine doing it a few times. just dont use allot at once. i also know for a fact starting fluid wont cumbust (burn) without spark. i once had no spark at all and i thought it was a fuel problem an sprayd fluid in and she wouldnt fire and i have 10.25:1 compression rings. if that wasnt enough to compress the fluid enough to start i doubt the stock 200s compression will work.

i do agree on the plug though. ive bin there.

your best bet is to get a new plug, carb rebuild, and a compression test. also make sure your carb air/fuel mixture is rite. for all we know you can have perfect blue spark. it does no good if your air/fuel mixture is off whack.

motoman110
09-30-2007, 10:59 PM
hasn't anyone heard of starting fluid with upper cylinder lubrication!?