PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 225dx question...

225DX DUDE
09-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Has anyone ever hear of a yamaha 225dx with reverse. I posted a wanted ad on craigslist and some guy said that a dx has reverse. Here is what he wrote....

You have it backwords the dx has reverse and the dr does not. you should check on ebay but be prepared to pay for one of these because they hold their value

Mine was a DX and it did have reverse!!! Your best bet would just be to change your post to :Wanted yamaha 225 Three Wheeler with reverse. Maybe some come with reverse and some dont....who knows its an old machine

This that is what he wrote ^ Thanks for any help...

225DX DUDE

pickleweasel_00
09-29-2007, 08:58 PM
as far as i know, the DR has reverse and the DX does not. Note the "R" in "DR", stands for reverse :)

atctim
09-29-2007, 08:59 PM
I think that guy has it backwards - I don;t think DXs have revers - mine doesn't - I could be wrong though.

thefox
09-29-2007, 09:21 PM
DR has reverse, I have heard the DX can have the DR parts swaped over to add reverse but they did not come with it. The '86 DR also has bigger forks and I think a bigger carb, those are the black gold and red ones, very nice machines.

Nick_R_23
09-30-2007, 12:51 AM
I know a guy that has a DX that came stock with reverse. But from the looks of whats being posted here, it shouldnt? :wondering Whats up with that? :crazy:

-Nick :TrikesOwn

badasskfx
09-30-2007, 09:23 AM
i have a 1986 dr 225 it has reverse. i just got it a month ago. its pretty mint also. its black and still shiny. it has a rear rack light gaurd and trailer hitch. i also sold a yellow 225 dx that did NOT have reverse. i paid $500 and evreything works. the only issue was a torn seat cover.

225DX DUDE
10-01-2007, 08:21 PM
I know a guy that has a DX that came stock with reverse. But from the looks of whats being posted here, it shouldnt? :wondering Whats up with that? :crazy:

Are you sure its stock, my DX doesnt have reverse.

thefox
10-01-2007, 08:33 PM

Easy, it's not a stock DX.:welcome:

Did he buy it new off the showroom floor? DX and DR plastic are the same, they could ahve easily been swaped over the years, the DR motor could have been put in the DX too.

The DX uses the 29U (all years, 1983-1985) code where the DR uses the 1EV (1985) and 1NV (1986) codes.

Nick_R_23
10-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Im 99% sure that its all original, but ill have to check on those #'s.

Drifterdude
10-02-2007, 07:51 AM
would be a great feature to have reverse on the DX it gets a pain to pull it out of some places backwards. The DX has no reverse only the DR like its been pointed out the R stands for reverse. the DX was made also during the time of the DR and they look pretty much the same so there for easy to be confused. but only the DR has reverse.

225DX DUDE
10-02-2007, 04:11 PM
would be a great feature to have reverse on the DX it gets a pain to pull it out of some places backwards. The DX has no reverse only the DR like its been pointed out the R stands for reverse. the DX was made also during the time of the DR and they look pretty much the same so there for easy to be confused. but only the DR has reverse.

I know the r in dr stand for reverse i was just wondering if a dx could ocme stock with reverse like the one guy said in that email i posted....

badasskfx
10-03-2007, 07:48 PM
maybe the moter is from a dr or the plastics have been replaced with dx plastics.

Nick_R_23
10-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Well its to late to find out now, I asked about it the other day and found out it got sold last month. :( Just out of curiousity, could it have possibly had a Hi/Lo gear?

I wish he wouldve at least kept the numbers, now this is gonna be bugging me for the rest of my life. :lol:

225DX DUDE
10-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Can you just drop a dr motor in a dx? Or will you have to modify it? Does anyone know how hard it is to do it? Because i have been looking for a dr around my area but noone seems to have one. Thanks

Or if anyone has one that they are looking to sell let me know!!!

225DX DUDE

Nick_R_23
10-03-2007, 11:43 PM
You can drop the motor right in, but you will need to use the gearbox that goes with the motor, the ones with and without reverse wont interchange. The driveshaft might be reverse specific too, I dont remember if it is or not, but I dont think it was. I did the swap on a Moto 4 I sold a while back.

Twilight
10-04-2007, 12:43 AM
Theres a 1986 225dx here for 200.00 actually. Doesnt run though.