PDA

View Full Version : 250SX no spark & no neutral light

the great gazoo
09-26-2007, 12:46 PM
I recently had som transmission work done on my '85 SX- I got the motor back in, & it's no sparking. I've searched here for answers & tried almost everything, like pulling the neutral switch, grounding it to the motor, frame & battery while pushing the switch on & off, no luck. I've also tried grounding the green wire to see if it bypasses the cut out system. I'd appreciate some input on this.

chris200x
09-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Brian, are the two plugs (Nuetral and Reverse) plugged into the motor down near the footpeg? I believe the motor wont fire if the N switch isn't connected. The plugs I'm reffering to are behind that little plate in the pic. Make sure the connections are clean and rust free.

atctim
09-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Not sure if this will help start the diagnosis process , but does the reverse light work?

the great gazoo
09-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Tim- I'm not 100% sure if the Reverse light worked or not, I'll go out & check it .
Chris, yes, the 2 terminals were clean tight & connected when I first tried to start it, that's when I got on the site & started searching. I'll post back in a couple minutes.

the great gazoo
09-26-2007, 02:21 PM
I just went out & put a freshly charged battery in it, re-connected everthing(Neutral sw. wire is green w/ red tracer), and I'm not getting either light on the dash, oh and it will only crank in neutral, as it should. I checked to see if there's voltage at the g/r wire(While trans in neutral), and there's none. I'm stumped! I thought I'd heard about bypassing the NSS on a 225DX a while back, but with the Yamaha, it starts in any gear. Anybody know how to bypass the cut out circuit? Thanks............

the great gazoo
09-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Anyone have the SX factory service manual?

chris200x
09-26-2007, 06:58 PM
will this help?
http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Wiring/ATC250SXx85.jpg

brapp
09-26-2007, 08:37 PM
try turning the key on first man i tought i tought you better than that man lol

james9r9r
09-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Check your wiring

the great gazoo
09-27-2007, 08:15 AM
All connections are clean & connected, & yes, the key is on when I'm cranking it, Brapp- It won't crank with out the key on:rolleyes:

brrcuda
09-27-2007, 09:32 AM
If you have access to a multimeter is your best bet. What i would do is take it one component at a time to troubleshoot. Check continuity in the light bulbs first. If all are blown out, test voltage coming out the rectifier wires - the rectifier on this should be giving 12-14 volts dc to the lights when used with battery on.

I would say your switches are ok but would check anyways for continuity when switched on.

You had tranny work done - cases were split? Was stator and magneto installed properly?

Theres got to be a common ground that is not properly connected (drk green wires)- the lighting/starter system and CDI/coil systems are basically separate from each other. You know your neutral switch works - that grounds your circuit for the starter relay.

Anyways- i would do as i said above and just walk through the schemetic and test logically with the simple things to deduce the problem.

chris200x
09-27-2007, 10:07 AM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/chrisr200x/Die-Go_try_this.jpg

:rolleyes: :lol:

the great gazoo
09-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the advice Paul- Yes, the cases were split: y'know, It wouldn't surprise me if the stator & magneto were installed incorrectly. I never even considered that they COULD be installed any other way than correct? I'm gonna go out & check the rectifier right now & post back.
Also like I said the trike ran great(except no 3rd gear) before I removed the motor & took it to the shop. Both Rev & Neut lights worked, great spark and gobs of SX power. TGG back in a flash......................

the great gazoo
10-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Well, I finally figured out why I had no spark. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but there's a black(Male )wire up at the triples, was supposed to be plugged into the double female connectors, w/ the clear plastic housing - I had the black wire connected to the single female connector, I was kind of in a hurry, & it looked as if that's where it connected .it's been 2 plus years since I tore it down; Anyway, I'd like to thank all of you guys for your help, I surely do appreciate it, now here's some pics for ya!
Oh, one more thing, the ignition switch won't shut the motor down, I've gotta use the kill switch. Everything seems to be hooked up correctly, what'd I miss? anyone ever have this happen? I appreciate in advance any feedback, thanks- TGG.........................

Tri-ZNate
10-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Oh, one more thing, the ignition switch won't shut the motor down, I've gotta use the kill switch. Everything seems to be hooked up correctly, what'd I miss? anyone ever have this happen? I appreciate in advance any feedback, thanks- TGG.........................

you have another ground unhooked or not in the correct Place :lol:. I did it to eliminate the key switch

the great gazoo
10-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Wher ecould it be, Nate?

Tri-ZNate
10-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Obviously its under the headlight but I cant remeber which one. Could be you simply have 2 switched around or the connection to the key arent tight.