PDA

View Full Version : Newb to 3 wheelers

kawasakifreak77
09-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Hi everybody, a buddy gave me an old kawi that we found at the dump a while back 'cause he got tired of it sitt'n around. I have no idea what exactly it is. The fender says 250 & on the steering head it says KLT 250C I believe. There is no plastics seat etc. I don't know alot about three wheelers but have worked on/played with/modified bikes & cars as long as I can remember. Here's my problem. I've started making a wiring harness from scratch & have got power to the fuel pump & the carb has gas in it. I've also got power to both lights which work & a starter button rigged & the motor spins fine. Now all I need is fire. there are two black wires that come from the front left hand side of the engine that plug into the black box, there are two other wires that go to the coil & I know they're right cause that was pretty muck the only thing hooked up. what do I do with the last two wires from the black box? There's six total, two to the engine (a pickup of somesort I'm think'n?) Then the two to the coil. The only two I don't know where goes is a yellow/red & a back yellow (which I'm assuming is grround.) I've looked for wiring schematics at bikebandit, here, kawasaki & can't find anything for what I need, any help is greatly appreciated!

team-red-rider
09-24-2007, 01:19 PM
only prob with teh KLT is u cant rig a harness it wont work...u have to use the original one. and u have a Prairie 250...we need PICS!! as those are rare bikes...im in the process of restoring mine

kawasakifreak77
09-24-2007, 01:40 PM
The factory harness is shot. There's no way I can duplicate it? I don't have a camera, but I don't think your miss'n much, this thing is pretty rough. I just got it to play around with on the weekends. What makes it so rare? Where can I find a diagram of the original wiring?

atctim
09-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Hi - welcome to the boards. You can very well make a new wiring harness - all you are doing is connecting electrical components together. I think TRR got the impression you were building the electrical components or something.

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Wiring/KLT200WiringDiagram1.jpg

this might help - might not - not sure why there is no wiring schematic on the main website. Someone on here will help you out.

Good luck on the trike - they are tons - o - fun!

rally4x4racer
09-24-2007, 01:45 PM
why can't you rig a harness? Im no electrical engineer, but as long as your wire gauge and length are identical I don't see a problem.

84honda200s
09-24-2007, 01:47 PM
get us some pictures and we will be able to tell what exactly you have. is it belt driven ? i would think the red/yellow would go to a coil.

welcome to 3ww

team-red-rider
09-24-2007, 03:22 PM
red/yellow goes from CDI to start switch on the bars. its extremely confusing. who ever designed the KLT series harness's was drunk!

84honda200s
09-24-2007, 03:27 PM
red/yellow goes from CDI to start switch on the bars. its extremely confusing. who ever designed the KLT series harness's was drunk!

:beer :beer :lol: no man but for real thats messed up big time. on any normal set up usually the "hot" wire coming off the ignition coil on the stator goes to a cdi box or the ignition coil on the frame. dam thats messed up. this is why i stick with honda.

johnny's X
09-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Welcome to the boards. Dont ask me about wiring I just wanted to say hey and welcome. Before you know it you will be looking in every lawn to see if you can bye another trike,,,trust me on this one.

timex69
09-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Hey man, welcome to the boards. One of the reasons you may not have fire is that I know the stators are famous for burning out in the 2 stroke kawasaki 250's and I think its the same thing with the 4 stroke. One of the kawasaki people on the boards should be able to correct me if im wrong.

team-red-rider
09-24-2007, 03:57 PM
nope actually the KLT's lost the CDI's the stators were good. but that red yellow goes to the startbutton and routes back to the cdi lol

kwbyfrmhell
09-24-2007, 04:21 PM
welcome kawi, you gotta love them Kawis heads above honda

kawasakifreak77
09-24-2007, 06:46 PM
nope actually the KLT's lost the CDI's the stators were good. but that red yellow goes to the startbutton and routes back to the cdi lol

So I link them together? (there's no original start button, I put a waterproof push button where I think the ignition lock used to be & a toggle where some little light thing was under that) You have to understand that I'm working with a frame, engine & tires literally. Theres practically nothing original from the harness. Thanks for all the greetings everyone, hopefully this thing isn't as addictive as my crotch rocket! Btw, if this thing is rare & I fix it up do I have something thats actually worth somethin' or just another piece of yard art? Oh, it's chain drive I believe but it's all inside a casing type thing & then I saw what appears to be a locking type hub (similar to a 4x4) inside the left wheel. Whats up with it not hav'n rear shocks?

team-red-rider
09-24-2007, 07:12 PM
well NO lol.. u will burn it all up the switch has a capacitor or something it in. i got a spare harness ill sell you. NOT GONNA BE CHEAP! parts for these are HARD TO FIND and VERY EXPENSIVE! and yes its worth something!!! ALOT!

84honda200s
09-24-2007, 08:00 PM
ive used toggle switches for sleds, trikes, cars, trucks, quads, lawn tractors, and so on. ive never burned up anything. all i do is but a fuse in so if by chance something dosnt work how it should it will pop the fuse.

(kaw) all you need to do if you go toggle switch way all you have to do is find a switch that will handle the load. just put a fuse on the hot line going to the switch. i used 25 amp fuses but if i were you i would use something smaller.

trust me on this. if my old sled that produced enough power to run hand warmers, rear light, brake light, cigarette lighter, bright head light, tach light, temp light, speedo light, and keep it running and never over overloaded or burned anything up i highly doubt your 250 will burn anything up.

good luck man and keep us posted. ooo and we need pis.

team-red-rider
09-24-2007, 08:11 PM
hey the problem is burning up that mucho expensive CDI!!!!!! that thing is MUCHO SENSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dirtcrasher
09-24-2007, 08:18 PM
I'd just get the wiring diagram and have at it, piece of cake....

What the helll is a Prarie anyhow? whats desirable about it? I've never seen one but it already sounds like a pain in the arse to me.....

team-red-rider
09-24-2007, 08:31 PM
well its one of the rarest trikes..and imho the funnest trike i own ..heres a pic of one http://3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=50547&d=1185771343 its bigger than a 252 bigred

kawasakifreak77
09-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Anyone got the wiring diageam on this? sure would appreciate a hand on this one.

team-red-rider
09-24-2007, 09:23 PM
hey theres a KLT being parted!!! u can get *Edited**Edited* harness! check the classifieds

Drifterdude
09-24-2007, 11:47 PM
hey go back to the first page of post someone linked to a diagram on there. Check it out sure it can help you. From that pic it isnt a pretty bike even with plastics. How are the performance on these things?

Oh good luck in the end with this thing. Once you start restoring you wont wana stop.

team-red-rider
09-25-2007, 06:57 AM
they will go pretty good. i've had mine up to 70 according to the speedo on it.

team-red-rider
09-25-2007, 06:58 AM
also that diagram isnt right its for a points ignition 1980/81 KLT200

kawasakifreak77
09-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Ya, that diagram is for points. So where can I get a diagram? I've spent hours online look'n & got noth'n. Is there an aftermarket ignition kit like dyna, etc that would do away with this factory b.s.? The engine in this thing looks really similar to a KZ 250 (my friend has one) but his has points.

Chevy200s
09-25-2007, 11:55 AM
who ever designed the KLT series harness's was drunk!

:lol:
really, the KLT 110 and 200 that I worked and redid the wiring for werent all that complicted, just like any of the honda's I've worked on. I think my buddy who had the 200 also has a manual for the KLT 250, if he does I'll try and scan the diagram for you.

McDerry
09-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Um, you guys do realize its just an electronic ignition. A very plain and simple ignition.

You do realize he could hook any cdi up to the bike if this one fails. I've fired them up before off duraspark units (old ford ignition module).

At the most, if the switch is fancy, he would need a resistor inline after a regular toggle switch. resistors are cheep and available at radio shack.

Other then at the moment your just trying to make yourself a buck, the only thing you've contributed to this for technical information is that theres something fancy about the switch. You could step it up and get an actual ohms reading on the switch so one could inturn duplicate a switch if it did need a resistor.

kawasakifreak77
09-25-2007, 01:11 PM
:lol:
I think my buddy who had the 200 also has a manual for the KLT 250, if he does I'll try and scan the diagram for you.

That'd be awesome man, keep me posted!

team-red-rider
09-25-2007, 03:35 PM
im not trying to make $...im trying to help get another KLT goin. it would be nice to see more of them out showing the quads how its done! but if u want ill draw u up a diagram it wont be great but ill try my best?

team-red-rider
09-25-2007, 04:00 PM
i drew up a a sketchy (kinda messy but its ok) diagram if u want it pm me your address

kawasakifreak77
09-25-2007, 08:57 PM
i drew up a a sketchy (kinda messy but its ok) diagram if u want it pm me your address

My e-mail addy or like house addy? Can ya PM it to me?

Nick_R_23
09-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Heres a pic of the inside of a KLT switch...that doesnt look too hard now does it?? :lol:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k28/Nick_R_23/MVC-001F-5.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k28/Nick_R_23/MVC-002F-7.jpg

BTW, that harness I have is for a CDI, pm'ed you back about it.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

Dirtcrasher
09-25-2007, 11:50 PM
I think TRR, just meant that to HIM it is worth allot of money.... And, I myself can relate to that. Even if it isn't so "fancy" it seems to be rare and he has one. I don't sell my rare or mint parts for short money......EVER

Yes, it would be great if you could help the guy out though....

team-red-rider
09-26-2007, 11:09 AM
thats not the same as mine? ill get some pics wen i get my pc fixed im at school posting for the next few days as my pc was hit by lightening

team-red-rider
09-26-2007, 11:11 AM
and your house addy.

Chevy200s
09-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Hey man, I'm sorry he never had a 250 manual, I must have heard that wrong somehow. I can probably get a 200 diagram, but I dont know whats different between the 2. Try taking some pictures of what your working on up close like the pics of the ignition switch that were posted, and maybe someone here can give you some pointers from there. If I find a diagram I'll let you know

kawasakifreak77
09-26-2007, 06:40 PM
and your house addy.

Not to be rude or anything but I don't wanna give out my addy, (I have my reasons) just pm me or send it to nisaninja@yahoo.com, thanks.

84honda200s
09-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Not to be rude or anything but I don't wanna give out my addy, (I have my reasons) just pm me or send it to nisaninja@yahoo.com, thanks.

i dont blame ya there. i never post my home addy for all to see.

kawasakifreak77
09-26-2007, 07:01 PM
I might have this situation under control now, but until it's runn'n anyone that can find me a wiring schematic, that would still be greatly appriciated.

84honda200s
09-26-2007, 07:18 PM
I might have this situation under control now, but until it's runn'n anyone that can find me a wiring schematic, that would still be greatly appriciated.

ive bin looking high and low for one. hell im still looking. someone will find one.

kawasakifreak77
09-26-2007, 07:25 PM
I've been look'n since sunday when I got it. If I look at a computer screen anymore, my eyes are gonna dry up & fall outta my head!

team-red-rider
09-27-2007, 07:03 AM
i have one i made up but no way of emailing or pm'ing it.

kawasakifreak77
09-27-2007, 11:12 AM
i have one i made up but no way of emailing or pm'ing it.

C'mon man, just spill the beans. Tell me what I need to do with the yellow/red & black/yellow wires to get this thing to fire.... Since you want to help get another KLT on the road & all.