PDA

View Full Version : 350X axle problem

Russell 350X
09-22-2007, 03:27 AM
Need to put new axle bearings in, but I can't get the axle nut off. The locknut is backoff as far as it can go, but the main nut will not budge. I have heated it up, PB blastered it, no go. Anyone got any ideas? I want to ride tomarrow and try out my new tires. Thanks guys.

fastleo
09-22-2007, 09:29 AM
the lock nut is reverse thread???

Russell 350X
09-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Yes they are left hand threads. I just need to figure out how to get that nut loose.

rally4x4racer
09-22-2007, 01:59 PM
what are you using? does it have sufficient grip?

I put my wheels and tires back on and put the bike on the ground. Have someone wrestle the tire so it stays in place - or ratchet strap it to a pallet.. just make sure the axles does not turn somehow.

I used a large cresent wrench and took the handle off my speed jack and used it as a breaker bar. Mine was really hard to get off because I spent the first few days trying to turn it the wrong way!

leverage, grip, and stability should break anything - but I have had to cut a few axle nuts off using a dremel with a cutting disc.

Be patient, keep soaking it you should get it. you could also try heating it up then cooling it down - CO2 works great to cool it down - or some duster

Dammit!
09-22-2007, 02:26 PM
I use a HUGE cresent wrench. Monster sized one. And I usually either have someone stand on the rear brake lever or I tie a heavy weight to it.

But in your case I think you should just cut it off with a plasma cutter and bid on my axle that's ending in a few hours and only has a 99 cent bid on it. /shameless plug :lol:

Dirtcrasher
09-22-2007, 02:39 PM
IDK what year you have or how the 85 works but.... The 86 style and others work backwards from normal thinking. The lock nut simply holds the whole collar in place which pushes on the the rotor shoulder and then the bearings, tube, bearings and the solid mounted sprocket. That lock nut keeps all this pressure from an inner ring on the axle shaft. Once the lock nut is loose, it needs to be loose enough that it will slide past the clip so it can be popped off. If it won't turn, it is seized to the splines on the axle and oxy/acetylene will make that a 60 second job.

Propane ain't gonna do it....

Russell 350X
09-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Well, I got the nut loose, had to borrow my grandpas oxy/acl. torches to heat it up good, then it started to come loose. Now I just have to get the wrest of it apart,

rally4x4racer
09-22-2007, 10:49 PM
yea - i forgot to mention crank the inside nut until it hits the brake assy - then crank the outside nut till it hits the inside nut. now you will see a clip that has to be taken off before the nuts will come off.

just incase!!

toyvette81
09-23-2007, 09:49 AM
i used a huge monkey wrench