PDA

View Full Version : adjusting 350x decompressor cable problems

ATC350X 85
05-14-2003, 09:54 PM
I just got a new cable for my 85 350x and read the manual on how to install it. line up the "T" mark on the flywheel with the index mark on the case, make sure piston is at TDC on compression stroke, I removed valve covers to verify this. The valves were adjusted before i bought it so i didnt want to venture into doing this. I set the slack on the decompressor arm shaft to the .5-1.5mm range and tried to start it. I figured the slack was measured by moving the kick starter a hair till it pull the cable. When it did start it ran like trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro, like the choke was on or something, so i turned it off and tried it all over again and still the same thing. So I loosened the lock nut and fired her up. I could feel just were the decompresser kicks in by slighty pushing on the shaft, so i adjusted it to where it wasnt slighty engage while it was running. I dont want to wreck my valves. So now it still is hard to start when hot as it was before with the cable that was hangin by a thread. What am i doing wrong here? Something I missed?

jeswinehart
05-14-2003, 11:11 PM
they must be touchy as all get out cuz i done the same as you + still ain't got it even close to activating yet.
and like you ATC350X 85,,, i didn't want to screw up my valves so i think i am gonna take it to haspin and let some of the 350x wizards adjust it for me.
but i'm keeping a close eye on the advice given to your ???

john