PDA

View Full Version : Tecate Tech Questions (research) ???

sandpuppi101
09-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Well as most of ya know already,I aquired 2 '85 Tecate's a few weeks ago.Both are pretty much basket cases,but that's the way I like to get 'em.Anyway's after contimplating this ,I am almost 100% sure that I am going to make a MX racer out of one of them,Just have a few thing's I want to get situated,this is all research at this time ;
Looking at the spec's chart on the '85 Tecate ,and doing the math ,it almost seem's to me this machine stock was a underpowered machine,with lot's of potential,gonna need info on that,please.. Let's look at the spec's:
Compression 8.3
bore 70mm
stroke 64.9 mm
Scavenging 62 degree's BBDC ABDC
Exhaust 93 degrees BBDC ABDC
Carb Mikuni VM32SS
gear Ratio 13/42 (sprocket)
1st gear 32/15
2nd 30/17
3rd 25/18
4th 22/20
5th 26/28

OK ,there's the fact's on the stock Tecate,now I am wanting to change alot with what is there,here's where I need info,and any and all info would be appreciated,remember: I'm new to this Green stuff.
I'm not a big fan of just doing bore job's,strokers and bore ok ,but not just a bore.This 8.3 compression just is'nt gonna cut it,what are my options ,do they offer Hi compression piston's,in the 11 or 12 dept?
This porting seems rather limited to me ,exactly how much can I Hawg out of there for optioum performance,I will for sure be getting a performance pipe,and silencer.What's the deal with getting a Rad valve or V-force ?
I'd also like to get a pwk Flatslide for the carb,that 32mm carb is cute but too small,don't ya think?
Another thing,looking at this eletronic set-up is like working on the old XR's ,less the Dawg's inside the flywheel,I don't like the stock set-up one bit.I've researched and have seen hearsay on going with a KX 125 set-up,pre '85 I believe,before the KIP'S? Any thought's on that ? And Ricky Stator's,complete set-up's ?
Just looking at the spec's with the Gear ratio's especially and the compression stock,it seem's to me that the flywheel is what generated all the power,meaning the weight carried it threw the gearing,and you don't even get close to a 1:1 until mid 4th to low 5th gear.Just doing the math it seem's like a turd with that set-up.Now i've ridden Tecate's before and I know they were fast but the spec's just seem weak.
Now here's my thought's ,and input is appreciated.Going with a lighter flywheel,changing the stator system,spark box- hi compression piston,some sort of valve/cage ,way bigger carb,port job also.I'd like to have the machine geared high which the lightened flywheel would be perfect for and actually have the tranny at a 1:1 in high 3rd / low 4th.That seems feesable,the sprocket gearing could be dumped big time to establish that but as the ratio would go,it would get there fast.When you put that equation on paper it make's more sence.You guy's see how I'm trying to work this ?? Remember it's gonna be strictly MX ,nothing else at this time,I know I'll be shifting more frequent with that equation but the motor will have more to give .Pretty much I'd only go up to 3rd maybe 4th on straight away's with this set-up ! Anybody got Help and input for me ?? :cool:

Kintore
09-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Yo roger... Ill see what I can help ya with.

Theres no high comp pistons for 2 strokes as far as I know I dont think. People just get the head shaved or run a slightly smaller head gasket. Keep it mind pending how much you shave will limit revs and make you run higher octane fuel. Plus part is mad low end.

Ive found after some trail and error 14/39 or 38 with 18 inch tires is perfect for MX. Still good low and mad acceleration. Only hitting 5th SOMETIMES on big tracks. 13/39 or 38 was too low for me and im 180ish

As far as the carb, id get a 36 -38- 39 and get that thing mad ported as well if your not going to run a big bore (which would HAUL! lol)

Also, if its strickly MX you will wanna run some progressive springs up front and try to find some sorta rear shock for it. As well if you can get a + axle cause they help immensly.

sandpuppi101
09-20-2007, 10:50 AM
OK,yeah I know they don't have 2 stroke Hi-compression piston's,let's rephrase this: I want to establish that kind of compression,via thinning the gasket,shaved head..Yeah I worded that totally wrong,I guess i've been doing thumper's for so long ,I did'nt even think about it,LOL.I researched the pro-lite series piston.Any cross refrence's for the 250,as in KX 250?

Mosh
09-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Sprock has coolheads for those Roger,dont know if they bump compression,But he also has big bore kits for the T-3's too.

team-red-rider
09-20-2007, 11:53 AM
hey get teh KX cylinder it makes it wake right up!!

BigGreenMachine
09-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Ok..first...Tecates aren't weak. lol

No such thing as a high compression two stroke piston.

I have a sleeved 85 Tecate cylinder here that needs a bore and piston. PM me for price.

Any year KX250 ignition setup from 83-87 will work and make much faster revs then the huge stock T3 flywheel. You need all the wiring from the dirtbike which includes the CDI, stator/flywheel and killswitch.

Send the cylinder and cylinder head to Ronnie, he owned a green thing once apon a time.

Run a 300EX rear shock. Use the eyelet (sp?) from the T3 shock on the 300EX shock to make it bolt right on. Loads better the stock and lots of aftermarket support out there for it.

Next you want to extend the swingarm. The easiest way to do this is to buy a complete 86 Tecate swingarm and dogbone link setup. The swingarm will bolt right on and the 86 dogbone has enough room in the top mount to offset so it is only a matter of using washers to make it work. I've done it and will include pics. It is +2 over stock and lighter since its aluminum.

Next is an axle. This is just as simple. Find yourself a complete 86 Tecate rear end. You need everything which is the carrier/axle, sprocket/disc hubs and the sprocket/disc. The axle is not wider then the 85 but you can use Honda 250X hubs on the 86 axle to gain some width. Then find some offset Honda wheels.
If that isn't wide enought then the Tecate 4 quad Durablue Eliminator 2+2 axle will work and be +2. Use the RAD locknut with that axle since the T3 locknuts won't work. The T4 axle is two inches narrower then the T3 axle so you'll end up with +2. The hubs should get you to +4 total.

18 inch Titan fast trekkers are a great MX tire.

Go to the main page and download the JWR Race manual for the T3 from the Scanned Mag Articles section. It'll give you a few other ideas.

cheers.

Pics are 1st my T3 flywheel compared to my KX500 flywheel. 2nd is a complete KX setup, 3rd is my T3 rearend with 18 inch fast trekkers on 10 inch wheels.

scooterroo
09-20-2007, 01:48 PM
well im agreeing with james on all he said, lol, he's the guru when it comes to the t3's. my advice is....kx cylinder with shaved head, v-force 3 reeds are made for the t3 you can get them thru dennis kirk, a 38mm airstryker carb, and whatever performance headpipe and silencer you can find. im running a nos bassani, but was very lucky to find it and paid a good penny for it. im also going with a kx250 ignition out of an 86 kx250, if you can afford to spend the extra cash, go with a pvl ignition, super light flywheels on them, got a 300ex shock for the back, but i am also looking into the raptor rear shock for the adjustability and remote ressy. i have 18 inch fast trekkers with 14/38 gearing, and i currently have 2.5 inch spacers on each side giving me 5 inches extra on the width. but i might have a nice extended axle coming soon, not sure if its a durablue or finishline, hoping finish line. as for the swinger, yeah you can put the 86 swinger on and use the 85 carrier and hubs and discs, or you could get your stocker extended 2" from one of the guys on here that does that stuff, which is what i am gonna be doing. moose53 does some awesome work, and you cant tell it was even extended cuz theres no weld lines or anything cob job looking, plus he can make you up a nice extended brake line to go with it. t3's are anything but weak, takes soemtime getting used to them cuz the powerband is so unpredictable on them, i cant wait to get mine finished up here, shortly, very shortly. keep us posted on yoru progress and of course lots of pics!!!!

cr480r
09-20-2007, 02:48 PM
the heavy tecate flywheel may be a plus on a mx application... the faster revs mean that the tires are spinning... and that isnt always a good thing... The '85 KX flywheel I was using was a night a day difference from stock... IMO I can't see the pvl being a useful mod for mx use...

ccdhowell
09-20-2007, 10:52 PM
I want to add something about the Sprock billet cool head. I am running one and it is a really nice piece of work. They come with interchangable domes so you can choose the compression ratio you want to run. Or just the Corey Sprock what octaine gas you want to run and he matches the correct dome. The head makes the combustion chamber a true hemispherical (hemi) chamber with the plug centered at the top of the dome for more complete combustion. Sprock can also bore and port your cylinder. I'd find a KX250 cylinder and start from there. I'm running one with the billet head and the stock flywheel. IMO the stock flywheel helps the engine maintain revs through slow corners and it will power out of a very bogged engine situation with ease. With my 14/38 gearing, 39PWK with open air filter, stock reed cage with Boyesen Pro reeds, and DG pipe and silencer, it is an awsome power machine that will still handle the slower stuff without slipping the clutch too much.

sandpuppi101
09-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Good stuff here guy's,I'll have to get ahold of Corey and get some more info on the coolhead.Looking at my options on the KX flywheel for sure.So what I'm to understand thus far is that the KX eletrical's from '83-'87 ,off the 250 are the same as the tecate ,Correct? And that flywheel is heavier than the stock,tecate,Correct?

Mosh
09-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Good stuff here guy's,I'll have to get ahold of Corey and get some more info on the coolhead.Looking at my options on the KX flywheel for sure.So what I'm to understand thus far is that the KX eletrical's from '83-'87 ,off the 250 are the same as the tecate ,Correct? And that flywheel is heavier than the stock,tecate,Correct?He is slammed packed full busy,working in the feilds farming 13-15 hours a day.If you have trouble getting to him,drop me a PM and I will make sure he calls you.He has the parts in stock and finished,so you wont have to wait for them.

sandpuppi101
09-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Ah' a fellow farmer,tis that time of year...Thanks for the head's up ,Rob.No rush this is gonna be a winter project for sure.Looking at my option's on a few thing's on this build anyway's.

scooterroo
09-21-2007, 02:35 PM
yes 83-87 will work, however i think the kx flywheel is lighter being it is smaller then the stock t3's.

BigGreenMachine
09-21-2007, 04:10 PM
KX flywheel is way lighter then the stock T3, as pictured above in my post.

If you were to find an 95-04 KX500 ignition it is a little heavier then the KX250 setup and should bolt up as well.

sandpuppi101
09-21-2007, 05:31 PM
OK ,I see what you guy's are telling me . What would you yourself do ,if you were to build a Tecate MX (ONLY) Trike ? Motor / Flywheel wize .....

BigGreenMachine
09-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Progressive fork springs and 5wt fork oil (work great!)
Works 300EX shock
86 Tecate aluminum swingarm (+2)
86 Rear end with T4 Eliminator axle and Honda 250X hubs
18 inch Trekkers on 10 inch wheels (4+6 offset)
22/8/10 Front Max front tire
KX cylinder ported
KX ignition
Bassani pipe if you can find one (DG is very nice as well on the T3)
Sprock coolhead
14/42 gearing so it pulls hard out of the corners
Vforce 3 reeds, no reed spacer
39mm PWK

Cover the chassis first and make sure your comfortable with the machine then worry about the motor mods.

Mosh
09-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Not to sound biased or anything,and If i did not Know Corey personally, I would still suggest this.
Garageboy aka Mark,(you met him right Roger?)He is running a 300 bigbore kit in his 86 Tecate.He GITS the holeshot everytime I see him run.Even against the 450 hybrids:crazy: .
Just food for thought.And the price for the kit is rediculously cheap compared to a bore and port and polish and head shaving another cylinder.He did say it is a handfull to hang onto on a MX track though.:lol:

BigGreenMachine
09-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Yeah a 300 T3 cylinder would spank the KX cylinder for sure and the fact that COrey already has them beats looking for a KX cylinder.

Ask Corey about the 300 KX cylinder. hehehe

ccdhowell
09-21-2007, 11:43 PM
I have a 300 KX cylinder, one I supplied to corey, the word on the difference the KX makes is DDAAMMNN.

3Razors
09-22-2007, 12:38 AM
KX flywheel is way lighter then the stock T3, as pictured above in my post.

If you were to find an 95-04 KX500 ignition it is a little heavier then the KX250 setup and should bolt up as well.

I have to interject on this one. KX250/Tecate ignition timing is programed different than KX500's. Stock KX500's 1990-on have 19 degrees BTDC @6000rpm.

1984-1986 KX250/Tecate's have 14-15 degrees BTDC @6000rpm.

The stators have very different mounting points also. Here is a pic
From left to right: Oem KX500 Stator/Flywheel, Ricky Stator flywheel/stator, KX250 Stator.

James that looks like a KX250 ignition on your 500? If so that could be causing a big problem with hard starting and performance.

Also, this site has the Jimmy White replica manual available for download. It has the exact jetting specs to setup a 38mm Mikuni TM38. I have used this carb setup on my 84 Tecate and it is spot on correct, which eliminates the guesswork over a Keihin 38 pwk.

Tecate250
09-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Hey james, What kind of tires do you have on the back of the tecate? Is that your 500? The 86 axel and disk hub are different fom the 84-85 so getti ng the 86 rear end, you will also have to use the 86 brake system?

BigGreenMachine
09-23-2007, 09:01 PM
86 brake rotor is needed, just like I said in previous posts. You can use the 85 rear caliper.

18 inch Fast Trekkers. It is the 500.

scooterroo
09-24-2007, 07:47 AM
my set up i will be running....

kx cylinder
sprock cool head
kx ignition
38mm pwk
v-force 3 reeds and cage
kn clamp on filter with outerwears

i gots me a NOS BASSANI with an answer hottip silencer
(anyone know where i can find a bassani silencer...let me know!!!)

gonna be running 14 tooth front, have a choice of 38-42 tooth rear sprockets
18inch fast trekkers on 10inch itp's with 2.5inch wheelspacers, for a width of 50inches.
stock front tire.
i run thumb throttle instead of twist also.
progressive front springs like james said...
i have 300ex rear shock, but i might be sending out my stock 85 to have it rebuilt so i have the adjustability.
i also cut the front fender to allow for more air to get tot he motor...not that it makes a big difference, i did it mainly cuz i like the look, hahahaha.