PDA

View Full Version : 350x Bent Valve, Head Cracked, Help

pipeliner3481
09-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Well I don't know what I did to the 350x gods, but I must have pissed them off, got this motor pretty much brand new, had no wear on the head, camshaft, guy I got it from said it was a create motor, which it was (still had the cables cut on it). Put in in my 350x rebuild and had some problems at first. The camshaft gear was put on backwards and the timing chain was off like 9 or 10 teeth on the gear. Once I got that figured out and had everything set just right (valve clearance, decomp cable) it final started, but it had a knock. Set the valve clearance again and again, to make sure I had it right. Took it for a ride just down the rode and it died on me and this is what I found. The valve is bent, it cracked the valve guide, and it cracked around where the valve guide presses into, some little nics on the piston (not to bad). Here is my question, can I some how still use this head is there any way to fix this. I know I can replace the guide, but it is the cracks in the head I am worried about. I have another used head (last three pics) but where the camshaft journals sit, it is kind of wore. There is a nice grove in the one (see last 3 pics). Can I still use that. The camshaft I have is brand new and so is the head cover, will running this used head ruin both. I think the valve was a little bent in the first place and was sticking and hitting the piston from the start.

Thanks Joel

Mobular
09-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Are you sure that head is cracked around the guide?? Looks to be just scarring. Check it out and you may be able to get away with it.
If you do decide to go with the other head, don't worry about the galling on the cam journal. It's minor and will work just fine. Just make sure that tere is no material sitting above the face. Mine looks the same and has been running just fine that way for 12 years now.

pipeliner3481
09-18-2007, 10:44 AM
There are two cracks (in the pic on top of the guide, the rest is scarring), that is what I like to hear on the old head.

NOS_350X
09-18-2007, 12:45 PM
With the timing off the valve hit the piston. Thats what jacked everything up. you probably fixed it too llate. You shure it wasnt a school engine? That would explain why things where messed up.

pipeliner3481
09-18-2007, 02:37 PM
The timing wasn't off when I final kicked it over and heard it run for the first time, I think it happened before me. It knocked for me from the first time I heard it run, and I had the timing all figured out by than. I than worked on it in the garage for about two weeks trying to get the knock to go away with valve adj. The time I final took it for a quick spin is when this happened. Funny you say a school engine. The guy I got it from said it wasn't a school engine and that struck me funny when he said that because I never heard of that before he said it. Still trying to figure out if it will be alright will the cracks in it.

Dirtcrasher
09-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Sure looks cracked around the edges. I think you bent a valve when you were so out of time. Then it commited suicide and jumped in the motor.

As for the cam wear, you can't take a crate motor and toss it in and fire it up. At the very least the valve cover should have been yanked to check things out, put some moly grease on the cam and fill the cavity with oil.

EDIT - didn't know that was your other head but I'd still do what I posted to a crate motor.... That other head doesn't look too good, yes it will ruin your rocker and cam....And I don't know if I'd trust that head thats cracked or the damage could be worse next time....

Man, this is a dam shame.... Sorry to see the damage as a good head is at least 200$ or more.

pipeliner3481
09-18-2007, 11:02 PM
That was the first thing I did when I got this motor, all the guys at work thought I was nuts to take apart the motor just to make sure, but I did it and overlooked one thing, that is how I found the camshaft gear so out of time. I never tried to start the engine until I was sure the timing was alright. Just never took the vavles out to look at them (kick my own buttt now). This was the first time I had it running for more than a minute. From the first time I started, I just knew the knock was not right. Just wanted to take it for a quick spin. The old head is from the engine that came with this 350x when I bought it. I'm going to put the cracked head in the oven and pull the guide to see how bad it is. Thanks all

Joel

Dirtcrasher
09-19-2007, 04:05 PM
The guide is pressed in from the top and then reamed. So it can't really fall into your motor with those little spider web cracks.

If it was taken apart by schools then it could have been that the keepers weren't in right. Nobody has the right valve compressor in their shop.... But, being out of time is still my guess.

I have a "crate" motor myself. It's a spare I paid 700$ for, very happy about that... But I looked it over real well and not one bolt has seen a socket or wrench. Now that your suspicious, can you tell if yours has been taken apart at all or????