PDA

View Full Version : Boyesen reeds for R ?

Huffa
09-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Anyone ever try both kinds and notice any difference ?

I guess the Pro series reeds are carbon fiber?

Power are 32 bucks , Pro's are 50.

SYKO
09-17-2007, 06:04 PM
go with power, best for all around ridng, they worked great in mine

Huffa
09-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks and most likely I will.

I imagine the CF's last longer but for how much I ride the powers will last a life time. :lol:

Billy Golightly
09-17-2007, 06:44 PM
I have the CF reeds on my flat tracker with a ported stock reed cage and it made a huge difference.

Huffa
09-17-2007, 07:00 PM
I have the CF reeds on my flat tracker with a ported stock reed cage and it made a huge difference.

A huge difference between the stockers or the powers ?

Hmmmm, Boyesen, where they make them, is right down the road from me, I could probably pick them up there.

ceaserthethird
09-17-2007, 07:01 PM
I also got the Carbon Finbers on the 250R Love them !

i also had the powers ... good power

Can't go wrong with what ever you choose

edog
09-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Carbon's are great!!!

Huffa
09-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Carbon's are great!!!

What's the advantage over the powers, longer lasting and they flex easier so the power comes on sooner ?

Billy Golightly
09-17-2007, 08:28 PM
a huge difference between the stock cage and regular boyesen "power" reeds that are fiberglass, and the Pro Series carbon fiber reeds along with the modified reedcage.

Huffa
09-18-2007, 10:45 AM
I own both sets of those reeds for my 85 R. I feel a set of stock reeds with stops pulls harder and revs higher then any of those two sets. The new aftermarket reeds clean up the low end and midrange very well. My bike makes greater power with a stock set of metal reeds and stops. You want a power increase, get a PT high rev and a 39mm pwk. That will peel your eye lids back for sure.

My 300 has a 38 Mikuni on with a reed block spacer I believe, which would make me think it's more a top end machine which is exactly what I don't want.

I'm more interested in a broader usable low-mid power band then a screaming top end.

Would I be better off removing the block and using a smaller carb to get what I'm after ?

I'd just try removing the reed spacer block 1st though, if I'm correct in my thinking that that just helps with top end ?

I hardly rode it in this condition so of course I'll see if this set up (38 & spacer) satisfies me 1st, but I have a feeling that it's set up wrong for track riding, guy before me used to drag race it a lot, really was not a track type of guy.

breastman569
09-18-2007, 12:15 PM
every set of carbons that i have had have always cracked and chiped i bought my first set of powers and put them in my RAD vavle and have been very happy. i dont think its worth the extra 20 or so bucks, but thats my .02

Huffa
09-18-2007, 12:18 PM
every set of carbons that i have had have always cracked and chiped i bought my first set of powers and put them in my RAD vavle and have been very happy. i dont think its worth the extra 20 or so bucks, but thats my .02

Chipped ?? Sure isn't a good diet for the cylinder, piston and rings !

breastman569
09-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Chipped ?? Sure isn't a good diet for the cylinder, piston and rings !

Yup right at the edge of all the fingers and i dont know why. My buddies with Banshees have had the same problems.

ccdhowell
09-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Anybody run Carbon Tech or ProRev reeds. Just wondering if they are more durable than the Boyesen carbon reeds? I'm running the Boyesen Pro(carbon fiber) reeds now and like them allot. Haven't had one break yet, but don't want to chance it too much either. Chris

Huffa
09-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Yup right at the edge of all the fingers and i dont know why. My buddies with Banshees have had the same problems.

Man, that doesn't sound good at all. I suppose the compression may just spit the small particals out the exhaust but still .......

Huffa
09-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Anybody run Carbon Tech or ProRev reeds. Just wondering if they are more durable than the Boyesen carbon reeds? I'm running the Boyesen Pro(carbon fiber) reeds now and like them allot. Haven't had one break yet, but don't want to chance it too much either. Chris

From what breastman569 is saying, maybe it would be a good idea to check yours?

Breastman, how many hours approx did you have on them when you noted the cracking and chipping ?

BigGreenMachine
09-18-2007, 05:46 PM
The reed spacer's job is to smooth out the HIT of a twostroke.

What it does is add crankcase/cylinder volume and that lowers compression. Alright for smoothing out an edgy motor.

I removed mine and intend to leave it off.

Huffa, an 85 250R carb would be a good choice for your woods riding style instead of that 38.

You want good throttle response and a motor that can lug in a low gear right?

To do that you want the carb's slide as close to the cylinder as possible. Remove the reed spacer and use the fiberglass reeds. MAybe go up a tooth on the rear sprocket to get a little extra torque to the ground.

Huffa
09-18-2007, 06:24 PM
The reed spacer's job is to smooth out the HIT of a twostroke.

What it does is add crankcase/cylinder volume and that lowers compression. Alright for smoothing out an edgy motor.

I removed mine and intend to leave it off.

Huffa, an 85 250R carb would be a good choice for your woods riding style instead of that 38.

You want good throttle response and a motor that can lug in a low gear right?

To do that you want the carb's slide as close to the cylinder as possible. Remove the reed spacer and use the fiberglass reeds. MAybe go up a tooth on the rear sprocket to get a little extra torque to the ground.

This will mostly be a moto track machine so the 38er just might do for that type of riding, correct ?

Don't forget this is a 300 so maybe he put

the spacer on for just that reason, because it had too much of a hit ?

I have no idea how it's geared, he gave me about 6 rear sprockets and 3 CS jobs.

For sure I want it geared normal (what is stock on 84?) or maybe just a bit lower then stock.

Thanks Buddy !

BigGreenMachine
09-18-2007, 06:53 PM
I ran a 38mm on my 250 Tecate along with a reed spacer. The huge flywheel and the right jetting made it a great woods trike. Could lug it anywhere and wouldn't foul a plug. In fact this season past I didn't foul a plug at all, same with the season before.

Hoping my 500 performs as good as that 250 did in the woods.

breastman569
09-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Breastman, how many hours approx did you have on them when you noted the cracking and chipping ?

Maybe after two weekends of ridding at the dunes.

Old 179
09-18-2007, 09:33 PM
For sure I want it geared normal (what is stock on 84?) or maybe just a bit lower then stock.

Should be 13-42. Thats for both 83-84 model

1upfront
09-18-2007, 09:41 PM
I run the boyesen pro series reeds in my 300r.

ChrisD
09-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Hey Huffa

I also have both sets. I run the regular fiberglass reeds on a Rad valve on my 85 R woods bike and they work well. They WILL last way longer than the carbon fiber reeds. I have cracked a couple carbon fiber reeds too. They work well, but don't last as long as the fiberglass reeds. I think I'm on 10 years on my fiber reeds.

I run the carbon fiber reeds on my ice bike and they add a crisp response to the trottle, but have to admit that I could be just as happy with the standard reeds.

I also run a PT pipe and a 39 PWK on my woods bike. I hear everyone tell people to get a small carb for the woods, but I love the arm ripping power and 4th gear wheelies through fast trails too. I guess it's all personal preference, but I don't realize the drag that others do with the big carb.

Billy Golightly
09-18-2007, 11:21 PM
For what its worth, I've had the carbon fiber reeds in my R since day one of the flat track season. I'm on the 10th round now plus tons of in between riding/practice and they are still fine the last time I checked which was about 4 weeks ago.

Huffa
09-19-2007, 05:58 AM
For what its worth, I've had the carbon fiber reeds in my R since day one of the flat track season. I'm on the 10th round now plus tons of in between riding/practice and they are still fine the last time I checked which was about 4 weeks ago.

Makes me wonder if breastman569 is swallowing some sand from the dune riding, I can't imagine them wearing so quick, I assumed he was talking months of use but 2 weeks ???

Huffa
09-19-2007, 05:59 AM

Should be 13-42. Thats for both 83-84 model

Thanks Bud!

Huffa
09-19-2007, 06:03 AM
Hey Huffa

I also have both sets. I run the regular fiberglass reeds on a Rad valve on my 85 R woods bike and they work well. They WILL last way longer than the carbon fiber reeds. I have cracked a couple carbon fiber reeds too. They work well, but don't last as long as the fiberglass reeds. I think I'm on 10 years on my fiber reeds.

I run the carbon fiber reeds on my ice bike and they add a crisp response to the trottle, but have to admit that I could be just as happy with the standard reeds.

I also run a PT pipe and a 39 PWK on my woods bike. I hear everyone tell people to get a small carb for the woods, but I love the arm ripping power and 4th gear wheelies through fast trails too. I guess it's all personal preference, but I don't realize the drag that others do with the big carb.

I missed your post some how, I really think I'll stick with the Power reeds, Thanks.

You see that track I posted about in PA, might be within striking distance for you since your in NY ?

ChrisD
09-19-2007, 09:07 PM
I tried looking for it. Can you post the link? I am definietly interested.

chris200x
09-19-2007, 09:10 PM
I tried looking for it. Can you post the link? I am definietly interested.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=73165

Huffa
10-01-2007, 06:54 PM
I got the Boyesen power reeds, stock # 607, but was surprized that each side is just one solid pedal instead of having 3 per side like the ones in now.

The former owner told me that they are Boyesens in them now, ones you see in pic, are they ? ........and if they are, :wondering what gives with the redisign of them, I thought having 3 pedals would make them flex easier giving better performance? are they the right ones for sure, I picked them up right at Boyesens, where they are made.

Also, don't mine look perfectly fine yet, the former owner told me they had been in a very long time but they look like new to me yet, should I even replace them ?

ChrisD
10-01-2007, 08:11 PM
WOW! If that is the new Boyessen reeds, then that's it for me.

Yes, your old reeds are Boyessen's. The way to check them easily is to look through the reed cage and see if you seen any leaks....light between the reed surfaces. When I started my 2 stroke mania as a boat mechanic in high school, we used to flip the outer reeds over if we saw any light between the cage and the outer reeds.

I have done it for years on my old R's and to be honest it isn' t that often that I have to do it, but when I do, it has worked fine. I haven;t tried it on the carbon fiber reeds yet.

Huffa
10-01-2007, 09:49 PM
WOW! If that is the new Boyessen reeds, then that's it for me.

Thanks for the info Chris!

You sound excited about that "new" design, why so, why is it better ?

Seems it would not seal as good with just one huge pedal :wondering ........but what do I know about designing reeds :lol:

So I wonder if most his reeds are that way now, for most bikes/trikes/quads ?

Rustytinhorn
10-02-2007, 12:59 AM
I ran into that same issue you have. I had the old 3 pedal boysen reeds in my bike, and when I ordered new ones they came as one big reed on each side.
I am with you. I would have thought the 3 reeds would have opened easier than one big one. Dont know. They seem to run just fine though.

Boysen Power Reeds are a two stage reed. One set is supposed to open at lower rpm, and the other set at higher rpm. I've thought about experimenting by putting both of the low end rpm reeds in at once and seeing what difference it makes.

Huffa
10-02-2007, 05:50 AM
I ran into that same issue you have. I had the old 3 pedal boysen reeds in my bike, and when I ordered new ones they came as one big reed on each side.
I am with you. I would have thought the 3 reeds would have opened easier than one big one. Dont know. They seem to run just fine though.

Boysen Power Reeds are a two stage reed. One set is supposed to open at lower rpm, and the other set at higher rpm. I've thought about experimenting by putting both of the low end rpm reeds in at once and seeing what difference it makes.

Heck, to satisfy our curiosity, I'll call Boyesen and ask them !

Common sense seems to dictate that it will take more throttle to open the "heavier" one piece design up, hence you don't get as good low end, on the plus side though there are less edges to wear out as in chipping or fraying.

Like said though, I'll call and maybe even get to talk to Mr. Boyesen himself, secretary said he's there most everyday.

Rustytinhorn
10-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Yes, I am anxious to know how it turns out.