PDA

View Full Version : axle question

gizmo_22
09-16-2007, 11:20 AM
I've been doing some more work to my 200x project trike and started working on the rear end and such, now the axle looks like it was beat pretty bad to get it out before i got the bike and both ends are mushroomed to a point where a stock axle nut will not thread on... does anyone know of a method to repair this or should i be looking for a new axle? Thanks in advance guys!

Dirtcrasher
09-16-2007, 12:02 PM
If they are just mushroomed I'd file them flat and then use a thread file or die to repair them as long as they aren't stripped.

82 250R axles fit the 85 200X also...

MOST IMPORTANT THING WHEN BUYING AN AXLE!!

Everyone asks if it's straight and that is important but I can straighten a little wobble pretty easy.

To me it's most important that the journals are in good shape where the inner race of the axle bearings will ride. I always look for the OEM zinc coating in that area or I won't buy it.

A worn journal has play in the rearend even with brand new bearings....

gizmo_22
09-16-2007, 01:32 PM
well its an 83 200x and their not striped so i can retap them once i get the proper sized die, thanks for the info man :)

84honda200s
09-16-2007, 01:36 PM
you better post some pics as you get it done. :lol: :pics:

gizmo_22
09-16-2007, 01:46 PM
ya for sure man, started polishing her up some, but my cam took a dump and ill have to get a new one, but i can post some cell phone pics for now tho... when its done :P

Dirtcrasher
09-16-2007, 03:04 PM
well its an 83 200x and their not striped so i can retap them once i get the proper sized die, thanks for the info man :)

No problem bud.... I will tell you though that a die that size isn't cheap and it isn't a standard pitch for that size metric thread.

I haven't seen it but I'd face the end that got mashed with a flat cut off wheel. Then I'd start flat filing the high spots down in a perpendicular stroke to the axle and follow the curvature of the thread. Last I'd get a small triangular file and get those first 4 or 5 threads good enough to get the nut back on.

Hopefully they aren't too mashed, sometimes they get hit so hard that they actually become out of round at which point a lathe would be the best way out.....

Post a pic of the threads if u can.........................

gizmo_22
09-16-2007, 10:18 PM
ill try to get some pics tomorrow after work, no guarentees on the quality of the pics though....

gizmo_22
09-17-2007, 09:47 PM
well i got a crappy pic with my phone, but its all i can do for now until the new cam arrives,
http://jkscott1.googlepages.com/axle1.JPG

Dirtcrasher
09-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Hmmm, thats not looking too good... Unfortunately that cotter pin hole allows the axle to collapse and mushroom real bad. I'd still try the method I mentioned before, worst that can happen is you'll need a new used axle for about 50$.