PDA

View Full Version : shifting without clutch

overdressed1
09-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Just wondering if it's okay to shift gears (once your already moving) without using your clutch? Sometimes in the heat of the moment I'll shift up or down without it. I guess I just forget sometimes. Ha Ha.
Does it do any damage?

storm_impulse
09-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Just wondering if it's okay to shift gears (once your already moving) without using your clutch? Sometimes in the heat of the moment I'll shift up or down without it. I guess I just forget sometimes. Ha Ha.
Does it do any damage?

i have seen it eventually tear out the tranny. my 490 yz, i shifted without a clutch and chewed up the gears. matter of time it will break only if u keep doing it. remember, thats why the clutch was made, to take some strain off the gears while shifting.

overdressed1
09-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Yep, sounds fair enough. Found the other threads on this sbjet and will peruse them. Thanks alot mate.

Dirtcrasher
09-16-2007, 12:31 AM
Sometimes when your trying to smoke your buddies and your at an odd angle turning, you simply can't use the clutch. I short shift my 350X allot just so I can maintain hi speed through the wooded trails. I use my clutch 90% of the time and have never seen a post about a failed 350X transmission. I'm sure some makes and models have a weak tranny but for now I'm gonna keep riding mine the way I do.

I would imagine it's best to use the clutch as often as possible...

ceaserthethird
09-16-2007, 12:44 AM
I use mine 100% , these ATC's are Old ... So why Damage something you can't replace anymore

NOS_350X
09-16-2007, 04:07 AM
I never use the clutch but to start or to slip when i end up in the rong gear. My banshee dosent like going into gears when i use the clutch so i jam the gears bad. No tranny problems yet only been 2 years of racing every weekend and riding acouple nights a week. My 350x the same thing never use the clutch no problems yet. These are race bikes and atc's we ride they are built to shift just fine without.

storm_impulse
09-16-2007, 09:14 AM
i downshift without a clutch sometimes because the motor isnt under hard torque, but when the motor is winding out and is ready for the next gear i always make sure to use the clutch. the clutch is critical to a motor otherwise they would have made them straight shift and even those have a automatic clutch to reduce strain on the gears. When it comes to a broken clutch cable, thats a diffrent story. sometimes u have to do what u have to do in a situation like that.

250r'en +TCB
09-16-2007, 09:39 AM
As long as you time it correct flat shifting doesn't harm the tranny at all!!!!

All that's happening is the RPM's of the engine match the wheel speed and it falls right into gear! I hardly ever use my clutch shifting up.

In my ford ranger I flat shift all day long......

P.S. You guys better stay away from semi trucks, in those you only use the clutch from a stop in those , after that you don't use it at all

Bryan Raffa
09-16-2007, 09:46 AM
the only time I do it is on a dirt road or in the woods on a off camber where holding on and control is more important.. I use the clutch as mutch as possible. all my clutches pull in with one finger..witch make's things ALOT easyer

Old 179
09-16-2007, 11:10 AM
I always clutch when down shifting.
After I start rolling, I usually don't shift, depends on the load on the tranny. Synchronize your shift with a split second reduction of the throttle (releases any stress on tranny parts). Your gears will slip in as if you clutched. 25+ years and no
problems.
Did mess up a honda 110 tranny once, Beer and hormones (20 years old) was to blame.

Old 179

ccdhowell
09-16-2007, 10:41 PM
I hardly ever clutch my Tecate to upshift. Just ease-up on the throttle and use a quick, gentle pull on the shifter and it slides into gear. I think it is important to use a oil that is made for transmissions. In my 2-stroke, I run only 2-stroke trans specific oil, it has the properties to make it work better for gears. In my thumpers, I use only motorcycle specific oil for the same reason. These oils have the right chemicals to protect gears and help them slide better when you shift. Chris

tbirdscott
09-17-2007, 01:59 AM
Everything I have now is semi-auto but I had an old DT400 that I beat on for years never clutching to shift, same thing on my motorcycle.

My Ranger is pretty high mileage, the tranny only shifts a couple gears without the clutch. My turbo sprint is pretty easy to shift though.

Aslong as you dont grind them and let off the throttle a little you wont hurt anything.

Scott

mdskinner731
09-17-2007, 05:51 PM
i kno riding motorcycle i speed shift when i ride and my dad has done it for the longest time when riding (motorcycle, four wheeler, dirt bike...) and he has never said any thing bad about doing that... now im not saying its good for the transmissions but so far iv never had a problem

tyman
09-17-2007, 10:34 PM
my dad only uses the clutch to start out on his 86 200x and he ran his like that for over 15 years and we tore it apart because of an oil pump sprocket fiasco and his gears looked brand new... not a tooth chipped or a scratch... so unless they grind or klunk when u shift, i wouldn't worry about it...