PDA

View Full Version : 200es intake mod

ccdhowell
09-13-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm in the process of rebuilding my 200es Big Red. Much like I built my Tecate, I'm searching the web for parts, newer, faster, stronger parts, to replace the old worn-out stuff with. On a hunch I bought a carb boot, carb and thumb throttle off ebay for a '96 300ex, hoping the boot could be made to fit the head on the old 200. Well I got it today and it fits!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know that's allot of carb for the little 200, but with a new xr200 cam and my homemade exhaust, put together from 450r components, it should work pretty well.

I'm not to the point of putting it all back together yet, I just checked the boot on the head. I'll have to figure out the airbox attachment, but that shouldn't be too hard. I'm even thinking of making a snorkel tube that attaches to the carb with a pod filter on the top of. I'd like this trike to "mud capable" so I'll figure something out. I'm afraid the stock airbox setup will be too restrictive. Anyone have any ideas?

Chris

Yamada
09-14-2007, 09:38 AM
how big is the 300ex carb? haha
why mess with a 200x or xr 200 carb when you can put a 300ex carb...
In fact the displacement of the 300ex is 282 cc. Right??
Sound like a good idea to me.

ccdhowell
09-14-2007, 01:49 PM
I like to use the newest carb I can without spending too much for a new one. Those 200x and xr200 carbs are all old and worn, to my way of figuring, a carb off a '96 300ex has allot more life left in it. The intake boot will bolt up, but could use some port work to maximize flow, so I'm gonna try my hand at opening up the intake and exhaust ports too. I even have a 450r headpipe, I may try to open up the exhaust big enough to use that pipe. We'll see. Chris

hadar
09-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Sounds like a good idea, let us know how it works.