PDA

View Full Version : YT125 woes.......

Serious Tim
09-12-2007, 07:45 AM
After unloading my Tri-Moto 125 from my van and putting it in the garage, the next day I noticed a decent size puddle of black oil coming from the machine.....somewhere. Took the left side chain cover off and found that I had 3 broken teeth on my engine sprocket and that the chain seemed a little bound up in spots. The seal behind that may be leaking, but I assume that the seal would be too high to cause a stationary leak.

Any thoughts or ideas in how to trace this down? I couldn't spot anything obvious that might be leaking :(

atc4everbob
09-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Some leaks are tough to find. Even higher up seals can sometimes leak. If it is your countershaft seal leaking, you would see an obvious trickle trail of oil running down the bottom side of the seal. Spray degreaser on the entire bottom end and clean it up as best you can. Remove the engine skid plate and clean under it also. Check the oil and top off. Place a piece of cardboard under it and don't touch the bike. Check to see where the oil is collecting on the cardboard and it should give you a good indication of the area that's leaking. Good luck!

team-red-rider
09-12-2007, 06:45 PM
where was the oil under the trike? ive seen silencers spew oil

Serious Tim
09-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Seems like it must be something under the skid plate as there were oil leaks on both sides of the center of the rear axle.

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to give it a shot tonight. What oil do I use to refill?

atc4everbob
09-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Go to a dealer and get a quart of good crankcase oil, GN4 or something. Doesn't have to be Yamaha. First though, I would use "cheap" oil until you diagnose where the leak is coming from. Fix the leak, then add the good stuff. Let us know what you find with the leak.

Serious Tim
09-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Funny enough, I can't seem to find the leak. The bottom skid plate is welded to the frame, so I couldn't get up underneath, but.......

I undid the oil fill level plug, and oil came out. Scratched my head and wondered if it wasn't overfull, but if that's the case, why wait till now for it to leak out?

Well, I added a little oil and decided I'd keep an eye on it, so we'll see......