PDA

View Full Version : Changing tires/bead breaker/seating? is it hard/easy?

hazman
05-13-2003, 07:07 PM
I called around to see how much it would be to get the old tire taken off of the rim and the new one installed and the price ranged from 12-20 dollars. My question is: If I buy one of those cheap handheld beadbreakers, is it worth it? I don't know how hard it is to get the old tire off or get the new tire to seat. Anyone have any tips/hints or suggestions and experience with one of these or is a doing it myself more trouble than it's worth? I am mechanically inclined and not afraid to bust knuckles or get dirty. Thanks, DaK

atc86r
05-13-2003, 07:58 PM
how old? i had to cut my stockers off with sawzall and razor knife. bead breaker wasn't getting it. tried a bunch of diff things and nuthing worked.

roofinggun
05-13-2003, 08:09 PM
I just changed the front tire on my 350x and had the garage break the bead for me. Then we just used 2 big screwdrivers to get it off and the new one on. A little soapy water makes it pretty easy. Then just pulled the valve core and it aired right up. The places around here usually dont even charge to break the bead. The only thing about buying a bead breaker is how often will you use it.

KLT Man
05-13-2003, 08:57 PM
Take them to Wal-Mart Auto Center if you have one nearby. I would say that you could have all tires mounted for about the 12-20 bucks you estimated and save time and trouble. Sometimes it becomes difficult to remove and install the tire because it is hard to get leverage when it is off the bike. Then you have to get the bead seated and unless you know how to use starting fluid on tires (dont try if you dont know), bead seating can be a pain.

And have your air valves changed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my Nickle and Dime :-D :-D :-D

250rAL
05-13-2003, 08:59 PM
There are a lot of variables here. What size are the rims? The smaller they are, the harder they are to get off. 8 inchers are the worst. Are they aftermarket or stock wheels? Aftermarket aluminum wheels are usually easier to deal with. Yamaha's wheels seem to hold onto the bead like a Vicegrip.Are they old stock wheels and tires that have never been apart? They're a B----. I've never tried one of those little cheap breakers, but my experience with my homemade 6-footer tells me don't waste your money on them. If you decide to tackle it, get a set of tire irons, not screwdrivers. They don't cost that much.

NOS_350X
05-13-2003, 09:45 PM
try it yourself its not that hard but the first time you do it, it will probably be kinda difficult but in the long run once you have to do it several times it way worth it

Dirtcrasher
05-14-2003, 10:07 AM
I thought about making a 2x12x8' or something sturdy you can actually bolt the tire and rim set up down to, a raised hub attatched to the long board. Holding the rim still is half the battle. In the past I put a board on the bead and run it over with my truck, it works better if you shape the board to match the bead diameter. But the tire pops up or out so I'll try mounting it to the board I mentioned. I use soap to seat the bead, maybe thats not a good idea?????????

Tire irons were the best 12$ I ever spent.

It's amazing if you actually compare the price of tools or parts to a case of beer or a tank of gas, you don't mind spending the $$$. :-D

J.D.
05-14-2003, 10:58 AM
I'm just bringing mine to a local tire shop here, they're gonna charge me 8 dollars per tire. That's new valve stems and all, pretty good deal if you asks me.

86250RZ
05-14-2003, 04:15 PM
Also depends on what type of wheel you have if you have the 2 piece type or not. If you do have the 2 piece type we charge 15.00 ea. (the 2 piece type are a pain inthe@$$, un bolting them and trying to keep the o-ring in place in non tube type can be a nightmare ) if you have the 1 piece type we charge 5.00 ea.

ATC crazy
05-14-2003, 04:29 PM
Changing a tire is a PAIN IN THE ASS...We had to cut the beads off w/ a drill after 2 days of prying and beating.

86250RZ
05-14-2003, 05:32 PM
Make sure you are not trying to take tire off from wrong side of wheel some rims have different offsets and have to have the tires mounted or dismounted from the back side of rim, no matter how old tire is you should not have to cut tire, the worse that should happen (if taking tire off on right side of rims that is) is tearing or breaking bead on tire, if rim lip is getting damaged you are most likley removing tire from wrong side. Best way to determine wich side is correct is by looking at front and back off rim, the side that has the nearest bend beyond the lip of rim (the lip is were tire seats) is the side you dismount tire from. Hard to explain without showing someone in person but I hope this helps, once you get it down thou its a piece of cake. By the way if you have trouble breaking tire down try to add about 1 to 2 psi to tire first it gives the tire some resistance instead of the sidewall just caving in on ya every time you push down on tire.

ATC crazy
05-14-2003, 05:49 PM
What 86250RZ is trying to say is that you should take the tire off from the "short" side of the wheel first. (I think thats what you mean)
Anyways....sometimes no matter what you do, you have to cut them off. We tried the cro-bar and mallet, 2x4 on bead and drive a truck on it, but still no luck. We finlly had to take them to a shop which got the rears off, but only one bead on each front tire...and there was no way to get them off but to cut them.

86250RZ
05-14-2003, 06:36 PM
Your explanation is correct Atc Crazy, But if you had to cut them they must have been hard as bricks :shock: because Ive been in the Tire and Wheel Buisness for 18yrs and have never had that problem even thou at times It would have seemed as if it would been easyer to cut them...LOL

PowerTrike
05-14-2003, 09:15 PM
I take them to my local tire shop. They are pretty reasonable and don't even mess with taking a 2 piece wheel apart. The just grease them up real good and use their professional bead braker. I have tried to do myself but have one helluva time. I've wrapped a chain around the tire once i've got it sort of on the wheel and winched it tight and then pried the crap out of them with 2 ppl. Just haven't had any luck....... i dought that one of those do it yourself bead breakers would help that much but i haven't used a storebought one. my 2c

NOS_350X
05-15-2003, 12:59 AM
like i said be for do it your self its not that hard and if its a 2 piece wheel then take it appart and put a tube in it thats alot easyer

atcmatt
05-15-2003, 06:03 AM
Yamaha's wheels seem to hold onto the bead like a Vicegrip.

damn straight, but ive had it happen on a suzuki alt 185 we put a tractor blade on the edge and tried to break the bead and were talkin a TRACTOR and it still did not come off :D

matt

atcmatt
05-15-2003, 06:04 AM
whoops i forgot to "UNQUOTE" i think u know what i mean ey

matt

ATC crazy
05-15-2003, 06:07 PM
Your explanation is correct Atc Crazy, But if you had to cut them they must have been hard as bricks :shock: because Ive been in the Tire and Wheel Buisness for 18yrs and have never had that problem even thou at times It would have seemed as if it would been easyer to cut them...LOL

Yeah, My dad owed a tire shop for 23 years and he tried all the tricks in the book but still no luck. :?

md1985250r
05-16-2003, 08:33 PM
I recently replaced the front tire on my 85 250r....broke the bead by jacking the truck up on it (had to reposition the jack a few times but it worked)....if you are having trouble getting new tire to pump up..a small tube inflated against one side of the tire while you seat the other side then just remove the tube and seat other side ....good luck :)

ATC crazy
05-16-2003, 08:41 PM
I forgot...My friend suggested getting a bottle jack with a small platform (about 2" dia.) and setting it on the floor under something with support (ex: a trailer hitch on a truck) Put one bead of the tire against the hitch and the jack on the other bead and start jacking. He says it works well and very fast & easy.

hazman
05-17-2003, 10:51 PM
hi, thanks for all of the comments and input. I have been away from my computer for a few days and haven't responded back. I have been in good ol' College Station, Texas as Texas A&M firefighter school. I think this time I will have a local tire station change it for me because I am wanting to get back to riding then I am going to buy some equip. and spare tires and rims to practice with. Thanks, it is cool to belong to a board where people can help out with their experiences. Later DK