PDA

View Full Version : Works performance shocks?

blsdmf
09-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Hello, I'm a bigger guy (230) and want to get a new shock for my 86 250r. Has anybody ordered a shock from works performance? They custom make them to your weight/trike(to some extent)/ and riding type, but i have never really heard of them. They are pretty expensive ($600) so does anybody where know i could order a stiffer spring? Thanks for your help

ccdhowell
09-10-2007, 05:01 PM
I had them rebuild an older shock that was on a Tecate I bought. Yes, they do tailor the spring to your weight, riding style, machine, and swingarm length. My rebuild cost half as much as a new shock. Maybe you could get an older shock and send it to them for rebuild. They also rebuild stock shocks. I'm very happy with mine, dispite the steep price. Chris

edog
09-10-2007, 05:09 PM
How much did you pay for the shock rebuild?

ccdhowell
09-10-2007, 07:29 PM
$3 bills and worth every penny. The tech guy even called me when he was doing the rebuild to talk to me and get a better feel for how to valve and pressure the shock.

Dirtcrasher
09-10-2007, 07:54 PM
If you guys are gonna keep your ride and have the bucks, then by all means I recommend a performance shock. Especially if you ride it as it was intended to be ridden. You don't have to be a racer to be tired of bottoming out or other suspension problems.

ccdhowell
09-10-2007, 08:11 PM
I have something to add along the same lines as what Dirtcrasher said.

You can read on these boards in many places that the Tecate suspension leaves something to be desired. Well, that may be so without the gee-wiz Works shock, but now mine is awesome. I like to ride it fast on logging roads, fire tower roads and woods trails, and bar-none this bike has the best of any trike I've ever ridden. The rear works almost perfect. It really feels like it has an independent rear suspension, not an overstatement. I am always, well almost always, in complete control when I blast the Tecate across courdaroys and pot holes in the roads. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't float, it just seems like it sometimes. Just a little out of my mind, Chris