PDA

View Full Version : 84 250R exaust pipe gasket

Wi200x
09-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Got my 250R back together with new piston and bored out cylinder. Running great. I've got an exhaust leak at the pipe to exhaust manifold though that's throwing a little oil onto the engine and my right sock n shoe. My springs aren't tight that hold the pipe to engine either. It has a steel split ring but the schematic lists a gasket also. Where would the gasket go? Inside the pipe ahead of the ring or between the pipe and manifold so it's visible? I don't have a gasket yet and may try and get an oring or something.

chris200x
09-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Maybe you can replace the springs with new ones and load the end of the pipe up with that hi temp silicone.

I'm going to try this stuff called chamber seal this time around. it's some sort of tape that expands when it heats up and seals up the exhuast.

Wi200x
09-10-2007, 08:58 PM
I ended up using 2 teflon rings on the front of the exhaust flange just ahead of the steel ring. It kept the pipe about 1/8th inch away from bottoming out and I rebent the clip for the springs on the expansion pipe. I think someone bent the clip down loosening the springs. Took it for a quick ride and seems to be sealed up ok. The teflon rings came out of a Ford power steering gearbox rebuilt kit. I had to stretch them to get them over the flange.