PDA

View Full Version : paint prep

1983_trimoto
09-10-2007, 06:56 AM
ok guys whats the best way to prep plastic for paint. im repainting my ytm and i need a good way to prep the plastic and get all the old dead paint off .

team-red-rider
09-10-2007, 07:00 AM
please dont paint the plastics. it looks like crap

1983_trimoto
09-10-2007, 07:18 AM
it was painted befor i got it with tremclad and its chiping off. it cant look worse.

rally4x4racer
09-10-2007, 07:33 AM
best way = wetsand 220 grit and spray with fusion

a painted surface looks not better than the surface that was painted. prepwork is key

1983_trimoto
09-10-2007, 12:00 PM
kool thanks

pickleweasel_00
09-10-2007, 06:08 PM
yeah, i sanded mine down (tri-z plastics) with 120 really good then wet-sanded them. Wiped them down with lacquer thinner and put three coats of the krylon fusion paint on them. Let it set a couple days then put them back on. Looked good, so after a month I waxed them and got a little more shine out of them. It works pretty good, just gotta be careful of scuffing them up with your boots climbing on and off, but cheaper than new plastics, and looks decent too :) But yeah, prep is the key!

1983_trimoto
09-10-2007, 06:17 PM
i am just about done the prep work there was one burn hole fron the exhaust on it but i fixed that with a bit of fiberglass not sure if it was the right move or not but it was the best thing i could think of and it looks good to. will be finishing up through out the week and then paint. will post pics when done

hinddee29
09-10-2007, 08:06 PM
I've tried the fusion and wasn't happy with it. Urethane paint holds up pretty well. Base coat/clear coat. Prep surface to be painted. If any paint on it, it must be removed. Get some prep-sol or any automotive prep cleaner and clean and clean it a few times. THen spray down with an adhesion promoter like (bull dog) should be able to find it at Walmart even. Prime with plastic primer, Wet sand, Tac rag it. Then spray you base coat. Wet sand, tac rag it. Now you can put in artwork if you want or spray a first coat of clear. Let set up then put in artwork. That way if you mess up you should be able to get it off with out messing up the base coat.
Most important thing is to follow the clear data sheet to the T. Spray a few coats
of clear. Let set then if you need to buff.
The more plastic there is the more of the chance it will move around and start
to crack. Base coat/ clear coat is VERY flexable and if done right will hold up a long time. I would say do this for a show bike or something. I've painted some of Mosh's old Banshee plastic and over a year later it looks like I just did it. Bad part this way your looking around 100.00 for materials so in that case Fusion wins, but I don't think it would hold up as good though. Please show pic's I would like to see it.

Shane

1983_trimoto
09-10-2007, 08:30 PM
this is by far going to be a show bike its going to be driven but i want to make it look half decent. the paint originally was toast. the bike is going to be built as i get time and money but driven on the way. as of right now the paint is going to be done. still rockin the duck tape seat because of the lack of sowing skills and the motor still needs an output shaft and i need a recoil. then shes off to the mud and water.