PDA

View Full Version : Timing dilemma

brobones
09-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Here is my dilemma.
Recently purchased a 1984 200ES big red.
Just to make sure that it is a 200ES here is what it has on it
Electric start, with hand recoil. High Low and Reverse. Shaft driven

My troubles, the chain guard tensioner and guides were worn out on this bike. I replaced those and a new chain along with cam sprocket.

The problem that I have having is that when I have the flywheel set on T the piston is actually not at its highest point. If I rotate the flywheel further (Counter Clock wise) then the piston comes to top dead center.) I am talking about rotating the flywheel another 30 or so degrees.

Has anyone else come across something like this and if so how could of this happened.??

Any info in regards to my dilemma would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Bro

Dirtcrasher
09-07-2007, 04:14 PM
I can only imagine that it is either the wrong flywheel or wrong crank from another model or you have a sheared key.

I wouldn't sweat it, just go to TDC with the valve lobes away from the rockers and it will be fine. Intake, compression, power and exhaust. Just make sure your on the compression stroke and for TDC, I use a plastic pen in the plug hole.

brobones
09-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the reply that is what I was thinking I was going to have to do. The key is in great shape so it must have a flywheel or crank from another model.

Bro

brobones
09-07-2007, 05:08 PM
So I might of bent my valves because of this, never got the bike running but I did turn it over a bunch of times.:cry: :eek: :drool:

RedRider_AK
09-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Was there a lot of resistance? I once put a long plug into a 110 engine on accident and pulled it over, it had a lot of "compression" LOL.

brobones
09-07-2007, 05:55 PM
There was some so it might of happened, how much damage did you do with that long plug in there??

brobones
09-10-2007, 06:07 PM
I did not bend my valves :w00t: I have good compression
I have the timing set correctly but still no spark. I will see what I find out tonight. The spark problem seems to be pretty common.

Reg

brobones
09-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Fixed the inter mitten spark problem, it was the kill switch wire. Disconnected that connection near the headlight (black wire) and had good spark. The fly wheel has to be from another bike because it was off 60 degrees. Starts great now, I did take the carburetor and cleaned it up used compressed air. Just have to fiddle with the carburetor now to get it to idle just right.

The case looked like it had never been cracked open before, I am wondering if this fly wheel could have been put on at the factory even though it did not line up with TDC ?? Has anyone heard of this happening ??:wondering