PDA

View Full Version : Removing the rearend/axle questions...

PowerTrike
05-12-2003, 10:48 PM
O.K. I will be removing the rearend of my Big Red 200 shaft soon. I need to have the axle straighted. First of all is this worth it or should I definatly hold out for a new one? In taking the rearend (axle and housing) off; when i unbold everthing from behind the shaft and frame will it just slide off the shaft? Will it be easy to put back on? And will i for sure have to remove the axle from the housing if i can take it a shop to have it straigted with probably a press? How close will it be to perfect (usually)?

Please give me any advise guys. Any help appreciated. Thanks! :-D

PowerTrike
05-14-2003, 09:07 PM
anyone ever done this before?

200x Basket
05-14-2003, 09:10 PM
i have never done this but i would think a used axle off of ebay would be cheaper and less trouble.

loco250r
05-14-2003, 10:48 PM
don't even bother it will never be perfectly straightened, it might look very straight but you will always have some wobble and it will play heck on your bearings.

PowerTrike
05-14-2003, 11:44 PM
I've been thinking the same thing. There are 3 rearends on ebay now; 2 overpriced, but one that i might go for.
I usually see them go for $100+ which really sucks (shaft drive) Thats the only reason i was/mabye still will try straightening it.

PowerTrike
05-31-2003, 11:14 PM
Well i found one on ebay for about $70 shipped. Its in the mail. Is swapping them pretty straightforward then?