PDA

View Full Version : Help!

storm_impulse
09-06-2007, 04:09 PM
hey everyone my name is ben and i just bought a 200x off a buddy of mine and i need some help. when he had the 3-wheeler he installed a 12:1 compression piston and put a scorcher exhaust pipe on it. when he was installing the piston, he tightened one of the head studs down to tight and the bottom of the hole busted out. he said hell with it and sold it 2 me for 400. i was wondering if anyone else had this problem *Edited**Edited*? i was just thinking about buying a whole new bottom end. please help.

RedRider_AK
09-06-2007, 04:16 PM
He... overtightened the head stud and... the "bottom of the hole busted out"? The stud pulled out of the engine case? I don't know what to recommend for this, I had this happen to my snowmobile last winter. I just drilled a few oversize holes, tapped them, and put grade 8 bolts in there instead of studs. Worked for a while...

What's a "Scorcher" exhaust? Never heard of that brand...

storm_impulse
09-06-2007, 04:26 PM
ya he tightened it to much and now the hole for the stud has no bottom. the stud does tighten up but its not even with the other studs. once i get everything back on i cant put a nut on the bad stud. i thought maybe taking the motor apart and tightening the stud even, then JB welding the bottom of the hole but im having my doubts. the exhaust, its a scorcher exhaust pipe, purchesed off ebay:)

RedRider_AK
09-06-2007, 04:42 PM
JB Weld is probably the ultimate in "african-american engineering", if you know what I mean. I wouldn't trust a JB Welded engine, especially when it comes to something as important as a head stud.

I'd just do what I wrote in the first post, just find a longer Grade 8 or 8.8 (most likely 8.8, because that's metric) and drill and tap the stock stud hole to fit the bolt. It'll work a hell of a lot better than freakin' JB Weld. :lol:

Yamahondaman
09-06-2007, 04:51 PM
JB Weld is probably the ultimate in "african-american engineering", if you know what I mean. :

HA HA ... PLEEZZZZ Contribute to the United Ne--o College Fund !! :D ..
YA RIGHT !! :crazy:

RedRider_AK
09-06-2007, 04:57 PM
HA HA ... PLEEZZZZ Contribute to the United Ne--o College Fund !! :D ..
YA RIGHT !! :crazy:

:lol: Ronnie, you're a funny guy.

storm_impulse
09-06-2007, 05:00 PM
not to change the subject but i was told that the 86's and newer 200x's have a 6 speed tranny. mine is a 86 with a 5 speed:confused: back to the stud deal. where could i get a 8.8 stud or bolt long enough to work? i tried autozone, lowes, a few bolt shops locally and nobody had anything long enough. they had 8.8 studs and bolts but they was from anywhere between 3" to 5". i bought a new tap and die set along time ago and never used it. i guess ill finally get to use it:lol:

RedRider_AK
09-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Uhhh I dunno much about the 200x. Yours could be an 86 chassis with an 85 motor in it. Or your 6th gear could be missing LOL.

Yamahondaman
09-06-2007, 05:10 PM
how long is the stud and what thread pitch do you need or have ... i will make it

storm_impulse
09-06-2007, 05:33 PM
its exactly 9 inches long. as for thread pitch, i have no idea. its a fine threaded stud. i will post pics here in a min.

storm_impulse
09-06-2007, 06:11 PM
here is some pics. quality sucks, but this is mainly directed to yamahondaman. feel free to anyone else that wants to see.

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p310/storm_impulse/200x/

storm_impulse
09-08-2007, 03:52 PM
well i went ahead and bought a whole new 6 speed bottom end. hopefully everything will go back together ok and i dont snap any bolts off. im bad about that. ill post pics as soon as the bottom end comes in and i start the 5th rebuild. thanks for the advice

Dirtcrasher
09-08-2007, 05:44 PM
UHMMMM....................

Ronnie makes some great chit, specially the STAINLESS but.....What about just a

HELICOIL???????

An 86 bottom won't work, an XR200 bottom won't work so what bottom did ya buy??

That looks like the aluminum series COBRA, Scorcher is what Burger King does to their burgers....

200xman
09-08-2007, 07:11 PM
That's an 83-85 200x. The 86-87 had square downtubes. I second that the pipe is a DG with a sticker on it.

storm_impulse
09-08-2007, 09:19 PM
well that clears up what year it is and y it has a 5 speed. i bought a 86 200x bottom end off ebay for 120 bucks. i thought about a helicoil kit but i desided to swap the bottom end so it will go faster. i hope all goes well. this thing is something totally diffrent then what im used 2. ill keep everyone informed as the build begins. is there anything special i should know about swaping the bottom ends? the 86 6 speed looks just like my 83-85 bottom end so i hope there isnt no problems. by the way what all mods can be done to it to make it fast? the exhaust pipe said scorcher on ebay but i have seen similiar pipes on warriors that say cobra, so i have no idea. i think u guys are right.

dreadhed
09-09-2007, 12:17 AM
I don't think you can switch the bottom end between the 83-85 & 86-7. They have different bores size, trannies and bolt up different. The 86-7 motor will not fir in the 83-5 frame. Just take up Yamahondaman on his offer. He makes great stuff.

Dirtcrasher
09-09-2007, 10:00 AM
That 6 speed is useless to an 85 or under 200X.

storm_impulse
09-09-2007, 11:10 AM
well i guess it will be useless. i thought it looked simular but i guess not. does anyone need this bottom end? its already been paid for. what will make my current motor go fast? Yamahondaman, how much would it cost to get a 9 1/2" 8.8mm fine threaded stud made?

storm_impulse
09-10-2007, 07:36 PM
well i got it back together after about 6 hours of drilling and rethreading the holes with helicoil kit. i went and bought all new studs from autozone that has threads that are pitched so the studs will never pull out. after rethreading all the holes and putting the motor back together i had some problems starting it. my timing was dead on and it was firing good but it wouldnt start. im not sure if its cause the piston isnt broke in or something else but i have to push start it to get it to run. once the motor gets hot it will start on the 2nd kick. the lil thing that spins in the cdi, i guess its called a stator, the screw keeps coming lose so i put in a lock washer to keep it tight. that was stoping me from riding also. the ordeal im having now is trying to get it started period. i noticed that when it was running, it was smoking kinda bad so i guess that would mean its running rich? i read dammit's sticky on jetting cause maybe its not lean enough to start? im kinda pissed. i kicked it for about 2 hours straight and then BAM kick starter flys back and hits me in the shin. so now im in pain and discusted cause the way things turned out. any advice will be helpful.

Dirtcrasher
09-10-2007, 08:01 PM
well i got it back together after about 6 hours of drilling and rethreading the holes with helicoil kit. i went and bought all new studs from autozone that has threads that are pitched so the studs will never pull out. after rethreading all the holes and putting the motor back together i had some problems starting it. my timing was dead on and it was firing good but it wouldnt start. im not sure if its cause the piston isnt broke in or something else but i have to push start it to get it to run. once the motor gets hot it will start on the 2nd kick. the lil thing that spins in the cdi, i guess its called a stator, the screw keeps coming lose so i put in a lock washer to keep it tight. that was stoping me from riding also. the ordeal im having now is trying to get it started period. i noticed that when it was running, it was smoking kinda bad so i guess that would mean its running rich? i read dammit's sticky on jetting cause maybe its not lean enough to start? im kinda pissed. i kicked it for about 2 hours straight and then BAM kick starter flys back and hits me in the shin. so now im in pain and discusted cause the way things turned out. any advice will be helpful.

What little thing spins in the CDI?? The CDI is a black sealed box with solid state components (nothing mechanical). You must mean the cover on your head on the left side correct?? If the center nut which bolts to the camshaft is what was coming loose just remember that behind there is your mechanical advance that needs to float on that shaft and change timing as RPM's increase. That plate also has the ability of rotating back or forth and changing the timing which would cause a kicker to kick back.

Don't make a big deal out of jetting, get it close for break in and get it spot on later. Is the plug a good color?? Might be rich or black and oily, drop the main a bit, raise the clip on the needle. Take baby steps and read lots of posts here. Too many people give up because they have 2 or 3 simple problems they can't figure out.

In 10 years and dozens of machines, I haven't had one problem I couldn't fix myself or with the help of this board and it's members.......

storm_impulse
09-10-2007, 08:25 PM
What little thing spins in the CDI?? The CDI is a black sealed box with solid state components (nothing mechanical). You must mean the cover on your head on the left side correct?? If the center nut which bolts to the camshaft is what was coming loose just remember that behind there is your mechanical advance that needs to float on that shaft and change timing as RPM's increase. That plate also has the ability of rotating back or forth and changing the timing which would cause a kicker to kick back.

Don't make a big deal out of jetting, get it close for break in and get it spot on later. Is the plug a good color?? Might be rich or black and oily, drop the main a bit, raise the clip on the needle. Take baby steps and read lots of posts here. Too many people give up because they have 2 or 3 simple problems they can't figure out.

In 10 years and dozens of machines, I haven't had one problem I couldn't fix myself or with the help of this board and it's members.......

thanks for the advice. the plug is kinda black but is wet. i gapped it alil to see if i could get a bigger spark. doing that i was able to get a good 2 second fire outta it.
it runs but crappy. after the break in is complete im sure it will hauls balls. there is still more tuning to do so for now i will baby it untill i see it come alive.

storm_impulse
09-11-2007, 06:36 PM
today was a really good day! i broke down twice on my 200x. first time the damn back wheel came off:( 2nd at the same place i broke down *Edited**Edited*, my chain broke. luckily i live where i was able to find the master link and hammer the chain back together with 2 rocks. talking about craftmanship. i doubt cavemen could even do that. anyways it runs good besides the break in stage. im able to start in on the first kick. i know i should wait to adjust the carb after break in but is it possible to get it to atleast idle? everytime i stop to talk to a friend or something it just dies. it dont even try to idle. while it was running i twisted the idle screw all the way in to see if the motor would pick up on idle but nothing happened so i twisted it all the way out and still nothing. its not that important right now but im tring to add fog lights into the headlight hood, with no idle im not able to see what wires are hot and what not. this foglight/headlight conversion is going to be cool. i bought 2 flat foglights that fit perfect into the stock headlight housing. i cant wait to go riding at night.:postwhore

Dirtcrasher
09-11-2007, 07:48 PM
The idle does nothing?? I'd back the screw underneath the carb to about 2 turns out from turned in to a stopped position.

Just reread the original post......
You said 12:1 which is full on RACE GAS, super unleaded isn't gonna cut it and you will ruin the motor if you keep running it without SUPER FUEL!! Go get some aviation fuel, LOL!! That piston is useless to common people like you or I....

10.5:1 is about the max you can run super unleaded with.

Does you head have the oil port plug in place? I hope so... There is also an oring around one of the studs in either the base or head gasket ( I forget) but it has to be in place for oil pressure to the valve train and cam....

storm_impulse
09-11-2007, 08:24 PM
good thing u said something about the race gas. i rode it around alot today and as i rode it more and more i noticed that it seamed like it was picking up in throttle responce and wasnt boging out. once i was done riding, i stopped and let off the gas and it sat there and ran on its own for about 5 mins. everything seems to be working out now, i guess i was just rushing things. i have 1 question, can this motor run off of half alcohol and half gas? the reason i ask is cause i have a old alcohol tank off my shifter cart.