PDA

View Full Version : Restoring 83 Yamaha 200E

HankReardon
09-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Gentlemen-

I am by no means a mechanic, and everything that I know about my bike I learned while taking it apart and rebuilding it. I consider myself a quick learner. I appologize for any stupid questions, and I have several.

First off, my 3-wheeler sat for about 5 years when I decided to get her going again. The fuel line and the carb where covered with a black gunk. I have cleaned out the carb, taking the jets out, etc, and I also have changed oil. Today, the machine will run, but I am far from content with how it is running.

Questions:

I can't get the choke freed up. The machine runs alright when I leave it forced closed, but I am a perfectionist and I want it freed. Since it is frozen on there, I can't take the entire carb off of the machine (unless I unhook the cable). Any ideas on how to free it?

When I found it, the pilot jet was 3.5 turns out, and the air jet was all the way in. Does that sound right? I found on spec sheet that the air screw should be 1.5 to 2.5 turns out, but it says nothing about the pilot jet. You have to get inside the carb to adjust the pilot.

The gas tank needs a good cleaning. It is plastic. I have read on several different forums ways to clean metal tanks, but the harsh chemicals scare me when it comes to the plastic tank. What is the best way to clean it.

I'm sure that I'll have more questions, but that is it for now. I appreciate your time.

Yamada
09-06-2007, 12:27 PM
For cleaning your gas tank do you try just to dismount it, put gas in it and shake it. Just like you I have to change the choke cable but for now it dont bother me. ( start on first pull everytime) Good luck with your project.

pickleweasel_00
09-06-2007, 01:10 PM
yeah, sounds like the choke cable is prolly no good. New ones are fairly cheap from the dealer

kwbyfrmhell
09-06-2007, 02:26 PM
pull your choke cable all the way out and spray it with wd40 let it soak down for a bit then spray a lil more and push it in and out as u can, continuing to spray every now and again, the bottom too. should work fine

kwbyfrmhell
09-06-2007, 02:28 PM
also you could try a lil bit of marvel mystery oil . once you get it free put a lil lube in their, like some lithium grease

kwbyfrmhell
09-06-2007, 02:30 PM
if you need to choke it without the cable, take off your filter and boot, hold your palm over the intake it will choke it when you try to start

HankReardon
09-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I live in town and my 3-wheeler is on my family farm. It will be the weekend before I get a chance to play with it again.

I never thought about the WD40 on the choke, Great idea! I'll shake around the gas tank.

Anyone know about the pilot jet? Is it suppose to be tight, or unscrewed a few times? As a reminder, mine is 3.5 turns out. I have a hard time imagining that it is suppose to be lose given that you have to go into the carb to adjust it.

Even is this project fails, it has been a great time. If anyone from Central IL wants to go riding, let me know. I don't have a good spot, but I'm willing to travel (although I have a kid due in 8 weeks, so the wife might not let me out).

thefox
09-06-2007, 08:08 PM
No, the jet should be tight. As for the choke, is it the cable that is giving you the problem or the brass end piece in the carb? I would use carb. cleaner on the tank, not gas, I just don't see how gas could clean out old gas?

HankReardon
09-06-2007, 08:37 PM
It is the brass end piece.

thefox
09-06-2007, 08:47 PM
I have had them stick on me before; usually they come out by soaking the plug in penetrating oil and pulling with needle nose pliers. I have had one get stuck in there and the tabs where the cable slides in broke, that one I had to drill a hole through it and pull it out with a screw.

HankReardon
09-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Thank you, I'll see what I can do. The choke does move about a 1/16 of an inch, so I hope it isn't stuck too bad.

thefox
09-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Thank you, I'll see what I can do. The choke does move about a 1/16 of an inch, so I hope it isn't stuck too bad.

Thats a good sign, most of the time it's just the o-ring that is on the plunger sticks.

HankReardon
09-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Great, if it is just the o-ring, It should come out with a few good pulls. Given that I don't need it to start the machine, this was a low priority. Getting clean fuel and the carb adjusted right are priorities number 1.

I appreciate your time. I'll post some good pics this weekend!