PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z worth it?!

RedRider_AK
09-06-2007, 03:42 AM
I have been eyeing a Tri-Z near my house for a while. It's kinda rough (which is a REALLY big understatement :rolleyes:), but the owner is moving and has claimed he'll lower the price from his original price of 800.

Yes, I just said 800.

Now, that might not seem too high, but lemme list the stuff that I've noticed in my 2 minute appraisal of this machine:

- Blown forks
- Blown rear shock
- Pipe rusted enough to actually fall apart when I poked it...
- Pipe mounting plate on the left side of the chassis is gone
- Wiring all chopped up and showing
- Broken plastics
- Broken shock reservoir mount
- Bent handlebars
- There's a Honda thumb throttle on it LOL
- Rear caliper needs pads
- Flat tires all around
- Rear sprocket carrier might be worn, it moves back and forth a little bit (may just be because the carrier nut was HAND TIGHT)
- Shifter flops around a little bit, but it shifts very cleanly.

This machine also comes with an 86 (6 speed) bottom end, but from what I've seen it'll need at least 400 or so bucks in parts to even get "operational" again... Anyone want to recommend a price?

The guy selling this machine is named Joel Rose, if you guys wanna tell him something, I'll give him a link to this page...

Thanks!
-Akim

icp4life162005
09-06-2007, 05:17 AM
HAHAHA Now thats a Fixxer upper! Does it even run? If it don't then I don't see any good points about it. If it does offer him $250 cash in hand. If he complains point out every single thing wrong with it and what it will cost to replace or repair. But then you need to think of what you will be spending in the end to have a DECENT ridable machine. After all that figuring what it comes down to is, is it worth it to you with all the time and money you will have to put in to it, to get it up to a reasonable condition. Don't screw yourself over man.

icp4life162005
09-06-2007, 05:18 AM
And hows about some pics of this abomination.

Mosh
09-06-2007, 08:41 AM
200 dollar bike at best.I bought one in the same condition for 50 bucks.Was not an 86.
There is a 86 near my place for 250 in that condition,motor is apart but all there.I wont even buy that one,as bad as I want a 6 speed even,I will pass on it.

ATC-Eric
09-06-2007, 09:01 AM
What a joker. Saying he's going to "hook" you up for $800.

What a dirty shame some people are.

oldskool83
09-06-2007, 09:17 AM
if its that bad it sounds like ya might as well do a full frame up rebuild...i wouldnt pay $800 for somthing needs a ton of work.

firefirefire90
09-06-2007, 09:33 AM
You might forget that this is in Alaska...

I wouldn't think that there are many trikes up that way.

ATC-Eric
09-06-2007, 09:42 AM
You might forget that this is in Alaska...

I wouldn't think that there are many trikes up that way.

It all depends on what condition he wants to build the bike to.

If you want something nice, it would almost be worth your time to buy one in the lower 48 and ship it!

It looks like it could take you up to $1000 just to make it rideble (without purchase price)

Dammit!
09-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Pay very careful attention to the frame in the footpeg mounting area!

RedRider_AK
09-06-2007, 03:32 PM
All right guys, I'm going to offer him 300 bucks cash in hand for the trike, and if he doesn't take it, I'm just going to make a LIST of all the stuff I will have to buy for it and show it to him :lol: I'll let you guys know what turns out!

Nick_R_23
09-07-2007, 04:18 PM
LIST?!? Sounds like youll need an encyclopedia to fit all that in!! :eek: Good luck on it, 300$ for up here really isnt too bad...I know where another one is...frame, forks, swinger, and motor (which has a bad tranny) is all thats there basicly, guy wont take less than 350$ for it. Ive never seen a running Z up here before, so youd have kind of a rarity for Alaska standards if you got it!!! Keep us updated!!!

-Nick :TrikesOwn

RedRider_AK
09-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Hey guys. I decided to buy my friend's KTM MXC300. Yeah, it's a bike and not a trike, but at least it has everything it needs. I did some research and I just don't think I want to have another basket case in my back yard, I've already got only about 5 of them. I feel bad about leaving the Z there, but maybe after I pay off my friend for the bike, I'll have some money left over and try to buy the Z.

honda250sx
09-07-2007, 05:07 PM
ktm trike, build it!!!

RedRider_AK
09-07-2007, 05:15 PM
ktm trike, build it!!!

Ohh god. I don't even wanna think about how much a 300 2-stroke trike would RIP.

icp4life162005
09-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Do It. 'nuff Said.