PDA

View Full Version : Decided to paint fuel tank on the cheap

Wi200x
09-04-2007, 09:59 PM
:pics: 52067I'm waiting for my cylinder to get back from the shop and decided to do some other repair work in the meantime. I found some paint in my shop that I thought was for my 94 Crown Vic. I started to apply it to the bumper and said-nope this isn't right (my Vic has a metallic and more purple red). The can was a Duplicolor T 152 bright red. It looked like a perfect match for my 250R fuel tank. I quickly scraped off the decals, sanded with 320 wet dry paper. Didn't even bother to apply primer since I didn't know if I had any that would hold up to the Duplicolor lacquer. Just sprayed the tank and it's the best looking paint job I've done. I priced out what a quart of auto paint with reducer and hardner was at a wholesale distributor and it was $45.00! I did this for nothing as I had the paint laying around! I would think that a cured lacquer would hold up to gas spills. We'll see. I was going to use the PJ1 paint but 2 dealers in my area don't carry the paint. Now I do have to spend $10 for new Honda wing decals!

rally4x4racer
09-04-2007, 11:05 PM
I have clear coated that stuff before and it rocks.

I think I have a couple cans of that red lying around too

Wi200x
09-04-2007, 11:36 PM
I think I'll install the decals and then clearcote it.

scary132
09-06-2007, 02:23 AM
I used the Duplicolor on my 200e tank too, then put 3 coats of the clear over it and wet sanded til it was smooth. It looks perfect, you would never guess it is from a rattle can... but I had a fuel mishap and it did damage the clear a little. It rubbed out with rubbing compound though.

Wi200x
09-12-2007, 09:03 PM
I got my decals today and applied them, and painted about 3-4 coats of Dupli-Color clear lacquer over the decals and tanks. Looks great. I'll post a picture in a few days.

rally4x4racer
09-12-2007, 10:44 PM
.............when i said clear i meant automotive grade urethane clearcoat.

I have never used rattle can clear. Like you said, I would think fuel or other mishaps would happen too easy. Plus, for what you spent on those 3-4 cans of clear you could have bought a pint of sprayable clear (well, almost) and it would be more durable

Wi200x
09-12-2007, 11:38 PM
A 11 oz of Dupli-Color red is $5.49 something and the clear runs the same. For about $11.00 you get a lacquer paint job. Same quality as GM put on their cars back in the 80's (as far as durabiltiy). I had a professional paint my bumper with base coat, clear coat and lacquer thinner removed that paint as easily as lacquer paint. For something more durable with harder finish one would have to spend $40 for a qt. of acrylic enamel with hardner and that's wholesale prices. I saw a generic qt of red paint at O'Reilly's for around $22 but that didn't include any paint thinner and hardner. If I was doing the whole trike I'd go the qt. route but I'm not.

rally4x4racer
09-13-2007, 12:00 AM
well maybe its just me ... but youll never talk me into giving up my clearcoat.

I guess I just have a thing for clear coat

MY FAVORITE COLOR IS CLEAR!!