PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help ID this trike ? t555 cousin ? Dune cycle ?

scruff
09-02-2007, 04:27 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/stragedy/MysteryTrike

I was sold this trike as a Montgomery Ward t555 but once I did some research I realized it's something different.
Possibly made by the same company but quite different in execution.

Sorry about the bad pics, I'll have some better soon. It has independent suspension and a cage around the engine.

Anyone know what it is ??

scruff
09-02-2007, 04:46 PM
OK a little more background.
I found this picture..http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Sads/sAlsport1974TriSport.jpg
My trike uses a similar setup for the rear suspension, mostly the long trailing arms. going forward to the frame.
The differential in mine also looks like one picture in that add - but has two cable operated leather friction brakes not hydraulics.

thefox
09-02-2007, 05:01 PM
I don't know what trike that is but, man that is one sweet seat! No more soar back after a days ride!

By the way, welcome to 3 Wheeler World! :welcome:

RacerRichie
09-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Welcome to the board friend. That is a wierd trike you got there brother. Is it a sears?

scruff
09-03-2007, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

I have no idea if it's a Sears. So far is bears most resemblance to the Alsport.
I also recognize some of the parts (friction brakes and the torque converter system from this company.
http://www.gokartsupply.com/clutches.htm
http://www.gokartsupply.com/brakes.htm

So at least I can get some replacements if need be. I am having a friend make me some new cables and for now it's running a mountain bike gear shift lever combo for a throttle and brake lever.
I think the governer is still hooked up, which explains why it wouldn't rev out cleanly. I didn't know the Briggs had a governer, so at leasst now I can figure out how to disable it.

I used the trike at Burning Man this past week and it got a lot of thumbs up. People either assumed it was a full custom art vehicle or the oddity it is. One guy claimed he recognized it as a Dune Cycle, but who knows.
The seat was a blessing out there because I have a broken leg and comfort was key for a long night riding around (and giving semi naked girls rides on my lap).

I've been looking up engine alternatives for it - I can get a brand new 6.5 hp chinese knockoff motor with electric start for $200.
Or I can attempt to keep it all original and rebuild the Briggs, for probably around the same money.

Cheers

super90
09-03-2007, 12:47 AM
It looks like one of thoes JP penny mud bugs or whatever they were with a car seat. my friend has one but the seat is fiberglass and it has a 5hp briggs

MIK6
09-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Try doing a web search for "Vintage Trike Club". I joined it as a yahoo group. I found them when i first got my Scat Tracker (pennys trike). They have more info on the streel legal non VW trikes.

GOOD LUCK
MIK6 / Mike

Rustytinhorn
09-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Theres been a couple of those for sale here in UT, but I can't remember what they are called. I will have to see if I can find them again.

EDIT-Sorry they have already been removed. Can't find the info on them.

scruff
09-03-2007, 11:30 AM
super90, it appears to not be a MudBug, they seem to have Tec engines and no independent rear suspension.

Rustys, thanks for looking, if you do remember let me know. I will keep looking.
I'll look up the yahoo group.

Cheers

brapp
09-04-2007, 11:33 AM
that thing looks almost exactly liek the thing i built in highschool in metalshop lol.

scruff
09-04-2007, 11:46 AM
I am starting to wonder if this thing was made as a full custom like that, it's so similar in parts and execution to both the Montgomery Ward and the Alsports.....but isn't either.

Wfotyme
05-07-2008, 05:52 AM
I would have to go with the custom made trike...I have one of the original Dune Cycles with the independant rear suspension and a roll cage with the bucket seat..Nothing like your picture..Someone built a great copy..That's what I think.. Do you still have it?

scruff
05-07-2008, 06:57 AM
Yup, still have it.
I discovered that the B and S engine was not the original, there were witness marks under the paint that showed a larger engine, capacity unknown.

It's evolved a bit lately, and I am right in the middle of modifying it. I got a chinese replica of a GX200 honda 6.5 hp for it from a closing pep boys for $70 (bargain!)
I also cut the forks and steering head from a DR100 ('84) and then cut the front of the headstock on the trike and then welded them together.
It's REALLY laid out like a chopper now.
I also cut the frame when I shipped it back from Cali, so I made a half inch thick flange and welded that on, so now it can be unbolted in the middle for shipping.

I just need a new jack shaft (had to cut the old one, rusted together) and a torque converter since the old one had been bolted solid and the drive side replaced with a clutch.
Should be ready in a few weeks.