PDA

View Full Version : Halflink? Or ANOTHER sprocket!!

Dirtcrasher
09-01-2007, 12:27 PM
So I bought a 14 tooth front sprocket for the 350X. Chain could not be adjusted and was way too tight. So I added a link and another master link and it is way too loose :mad:

I either need a halflink or offset link they are called or I must have to drop 2 teeth or more in the rear:wondering That might be a crummy setup for trails so I hope I can buy a halflink.

I was trying to run 14/39 and it's not happening.

The bearings and carrier are all like new, it just doesn't like this gearing...

Any help would be great....

84honda200s
09-01-2007, 12:30 PM
why cant it be adjusted ? without being able to adjust it when ever its stretches you will be sol until it stretches enough to take out a full link.

Billy Golightly
09-01-2007, 12:50 PM
You'll be fine with a half link. I run a #52 standard chain half link on the 500R. If its good enough for it its good enough for a 350x.

super90
09-01-2007, 12:51 PM
SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME. Its very frustrating I know. I ran a 3/8 pitch half link. Just make sure the chain is new and it not stretched or the half link will screw it all up.

Dirtcrasher
09-01-2007, 01:13 PM
why cant it be adjusted ? without being able to adjust it when ever its stretches you will be sol until it stretches enough to take out a full link.

I don't think you understand.

With the stock setup, using a 14 tooth front and offsetting the carrier all the way in the loosen direction - it is too tight.

Using that same sprocket setup and adding a full link which requires the use of a master link thus creating 2 additional links and rotating the carrier in the tighten direction all the way, it is far too loose.

Hence the reason I need a halflink.

HEY BILLY - A number 52 standard is the same as 520? How about if you have an oring chain? And where can I buy one, Thanks!!

Billy Golightly
09-01-2007, 01:23 PM
I don't think its exactly the same dirtcrasher, but it worked good enough for me. I think I gave a few away to people who needed them at TF this year too, and I didn't hear any complaints I dont think? The half link is slightly wider on the pin widths, but it worked fine even with the o-ring chain I'm running. I think I got mine at Lowes in the hardware aisle in them big pull out drawers.

super90
09-01-2007, 01:56 PM
I dont really trust half links with brand new chains. The small little pin that fits in the other end of the link is a tiny tiny bit smaller than the correct master link. It has a tiny bit of play that I wouldnt trust. It eventually ruins the chain.

Dirtcrasher
09-01-2007, 02:09 PM
I dont really trust half links with brand new chains. The small little pin that fits in the other end of the link is a tiny tiny bit smaller than the correct master link. It has a tiny bit of play that I wouldnt trust. It eventually ruins the chain.

Are you saying that the smaller diameter pin ruins the inside bore of the link it fits into? Or how does it ruin the whole chain??

If I have to buy a 36 or 37 rear sprocket to make this happen, it's no big deal. But.... That will give me a faster top speed but might make 1st gear too long for the tight trails I ride in.

When I was a kid, we would trade sprockets on our BMX bikes to see what we liked. It can get expensive buying 4 different sprockets to get it dialed in where you want it.

Truth is, I just want to spank my buddy John who has a Z400 in stock form. I've got a 400EX carb bigger main, K+N filter with no lid, 450R exhaust with the HRC tip. I think if I get the gearing right I can beat him.

super90
09-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Yeah not the WHOLE chain just the inside bore. It happend to my old chain, im not sure if it was already worn but I dont feel like finding out on my new DID i got today.

4cylinders
09-01-2007, 09:01 PM
hey, got some 520 half links from a sled place. still have some if you want one, let me know.

super90
09-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Im pretty sure it was just the old chain. I put a half link in today when I was on trail and the chain popped from being too long. I rode it for about 50 miles and it didnt do anything and is still doing good. Ill let you know how it works in a few days after I get more riding time in. I made a spacers for the bearings before I went out too so I wouldnt do any damage to the sprocket.

-and when you get a half link make sure the roller is metal and not plastic!! I had a plastic one and it broke and caused some broken teeth.

Dirtcrasher
10-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Just wanted you guys to know that they DO have them at LOWE's and the #50 seems to fit just fine. It was about 8$ for 5 halflinks....

I've been beating the snot out of the 350X for 6 weeks now ith this halflink on there and it's holding up just fine.

Mosh
10-28-2007, 09:23 AM
I personally feel half links are a catastrophe waiting to happen.I have seen them things bust and wad chains up in the carrier and engine. Mostly on high powered bikes.For a little dirtbike or smaller atv they would be ok.
When I run into your problem,I use 2 solutions.
1)I run the chain with the carrier adjusted all the way,till the chain stretches.Usually takes a week or less to stretch,then I remove a link and get all my adjustment back.
2)Another option I use,I run a aftermarket chainslider if it is available for the bike.They are thicker and take up more chain slack.

Bryan Raffa
10-28-2007, 09:29 AM
I ran one on the 490 it was a #50.. like mosh said the chain did strech and I did remove it.. you need to keep a eye on the cotter key..make shure nothing comes in contact with it.. if your gonna run it for a wile tack weld it. you can find them at a Napa or tractor supply

03 ORANGE SHEE
10-28-2007, 09:37 AM
i didnt believe they were out there til i saw it with my own eyes