PDA

View Full Version : The Honda one way clutch, and the output shaft 250SX??

Dirtcrasher
05-12-2003, 09:20 AM
In the SX that one way clutch may be responsible for the kickstarter slipping, or at least thats what some of you have run in to.
Well I must admit until recently I've never done anything other than oil changes,plugs and airfilters on the 250SX. Because lets face facts - it's a HONDA and they just don't break, ever :twisted: . So I take off the ignition cover and pull off the flywheel and behind it I find this one way clutch which in one direction allows the starter to turn over the engine and in the other it spins freely.

Is this the one that dies??

When you remove the output shaft the whole tranny countershaft comes out droping a gear inside??? Good god I hope there aren't shims and dogs and forks that I'll half to split to fix??

Howdy
05-12-2003, 09:45 AM
The one-way clutch is on the clutch side. The one you refer to behind the flywheel is for the Electric start only. To replace it you just remove the right cover ( clutch cover ). Take the nut off the centrifical clutch and remove it. Right behind the centrifical clutch is the one-way clutch.

To change the output shaft it is required that you split the cases. No way around it. I have had that problem before. There is a crap load of parts that fit on the shaft.

Howdy

Dirtcrasher
05-12-2003, 10:15 AM
The one-way clutch is on the clutch side. The one you refer to behind the flywheel is for the Electric start only. To replace it you just remove the right cover ( clutch cover ). Take the nut off the centrifical clutch and remove it. Right behind the centrifical clutch is the one-way clutch.

To change the output shaft it is required that you split the cases. No way around it. I have had that problem before. There is a crap load of parts that fit on the shaft.

Howdy

Guess I'll have to take off the clutch cover!! 2 one ways jeeez!!!

Howdy, I take it that once you slide out that output shaft your screwed?

Howdy
05-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Howdy, I take it that once you slide out that output shaft your screwed?

And tatto'd . lol

I don't have my book to double check but I do think if you pulled it, you will split it, or you won't ride it.
Howdy

jeopardy98
08-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Sorry to bump up a really old thread but I am getting ready to do this on my 250sx and I was looking a at the manual trying to figure out which of the specialty tools I actually need and which ones can I get around? If I use an impact on the lock nut will I still need the clutch holder tool?

Dirtcrasher
08-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Nope, just your hand. It's probably the 4 pronged tool, I make them out of a 15/16ths socket.

The centrifugal clutch might be a LH nut - Check the book............

And the output shaft CAN be put back in, there is one critical shim and the oil holes have to line up; I've told numerous guys how to do it without splitting the case.

jeopardy98
08-14-2010, 10:58 PM
I don't plan on pulling the shaft. I just need to order up the gasket and figure I'll replace a few other seals while I am in there. Thanks DC. Oh and that nut is LH thread.

jeopardy98
08-24-2010, 08:46 PM
So I tackled this job today and everything seemed to go well until I got it all put back together and the kicker slips every single time now. I'm pretty sure my dumb ass put it in backwards. I'm going to tear it all apart again in the next day or two and check. I have a couple questions in the mean time though:

1. Is there any way that I can "check" the one way bearing to see if it is good or not? Once I get it installed I can install the kicker shaft and make sure that it turns over before putting the case on and adding oil, correct?
2. How the heck do you get the spring hooked on the reverse lever and get the case back on? Does it come loose from the cable arm?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm heading to busco beach in a week and half and I need at least one running trike.

MudBug
08-24-2010, 08:53 PM
2. How the heck do you get the spring hooked on the reverse lever and get the case back on? Does it come loose from the cable arm?

Had that same problem with one of my big red engines. We had to get that lever/actuator disassembled and all the key parts in place in the engine, and then slip the cover on right over it. The lever itself bolts on after

jrwebb8324
08-24-2010, 10:52 PM
can someone post a link to the thread about the 250es kicker slipping? Cant find it. Thanks.

Dirtcrasher
08-24-2010, 10:55 PM
^ In your centrifugal clutch, you have a one-way bearing that grabs in one direction and slips in the other. Yours and or the parts it rides on are worn out.

jeopardy98
08-25-2010, 01:17 AM
Yes but if installed backwards that would cause my problems as well, correct? Is there a way to test the one way bearing? Also, how the heck do you get the reverse shaft back in the right way when installing the right case after swapping the one way bearing?

Dirtcrasher
08-25-2010, 01:30 AM
Reverse shaft?? Or are you touching the output shaft with the 3 bolts??

It's a very straightforwards job, just open the right cover, grab the book and do what it tells you.

Yep, if someone put a new one in backwards, it would do the opposite, probably lock something up............

jeopardy98
08-25-2010, 02:16 AM
It didn't lock anything up. It just slips. The kicker doesn't grab at all.

Dirtcrasher
08-25-2010, 01:45 PM
What do you want to know??

Take the cover off and look at it, try turning the centrifugal clutch either way. Does one way spin the basket? does the other freewheel?

Did someone replace this bearing already? Did they check the diameter of the hub it rides on?

If it's under spec the kicker will not grab - either the bearing or the piece it rides on.

jeopardy98
08-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Yes when I installed it I checked that it spun one way and grabbed the other way but I'm thinking it grabs the wrong way. I'll pull it apart and flip it over.