PDA

View Full Version : 350x: coming along... (UPDATED: found the wobble)

Dammit!
08-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Still have some work to do. I put a different front hub/rim/tire on it and different rear wheels today. New bearings in the front hub. Still got that bad wobble on the street at low speed though. Not sure what could be causing it. I'll probably have to just keep swapping out parts until I figure it out. Forks and front axle look straight. :wondering

Still need a new chain, probably new sprockets, rear brake rotor, brake pads, get the front brakes working, paint the exhaust, the Mosh's are making me a new seat and hopefully that should just about do it. Motor seems to be running good. Rode it around the neighborhood a little bit today. No brakes and a chain that's got completely dry rotted out o-rings so I was just putting around. I don't see any problem having it done and safe to ride by the time the season starts. Should be a fun trike to ride around in the desert on when it's done.

honda250sx
08-27-2007, 09:42 PM
looks good Dammit! keep us posted. what did you go for on a new seat?

Dammit!
08-27-2007, 10:49 PM
looks good Dammit! keep us posted. what did you go for on a new seat?

Just a stock replica with new foam. Not doing anything crazy on this one.

200x Basket
08-27-2007, 11:03 PM
i had that same wobble. the frame was tweaked!!! how are the swinger bearings?

Dammit!
08-27-2007, 11:15 PM
Bearings seem ok. I don't see how the frame could be tweaked without any signs of damage to anything else. However, I did notice today that when turning the bars to the right the handlebars can actually touch the gas tank but not when turning left. I figured the steering stop is probably slightly damaged. I can't tell for sure if there's any wobble in the rear end when I ride it. Nobody around to look while I ride by. I can see a very, very slight wobble to the front wheel when I spin it. It was there with the old wheel too. The axle looked straight. The forks seem straight but it's hard to tell for sure. I have another axle and another set of forks. Even another set of triples I can try if I have to.

When I rode it on gravel I couldn't tell at all but it's obvious on pavement.

Dammit!
08-30-2007, 04:48 PM
I was finally able to have somebody watch the rear axle while I was riding it today. Axle is definitely bent on both sides (one is way worse than the other). You can't feel it coming from the back at all while riding it but that has to be what's causing the front end to wobble back and forth.

So what is the cheapest price you guys know about for a brand new, standard length durablue or lonestar axle? I don't want anything used because there's no guarantee I won't end up with another bent axle. Don't want an extended one either since I'll be trail riding with it. Something that is adjustable from stock to +2 or something would be cool though.

Any incompatibilities I should be aware of regarding new axles and OEM or aftermarket bearing carriers?

SWIGIN
08-30-2007, 06:02 PM
i wouldnt worry about it....all axles bend a tiny amount

plus its not like the tires are balanced ether

as far as fitment....anything made for your bike will work along with 250x/300ex axles

Dammit!
08-30-2007, 08:00 PM
It's not just a little bit. At about 10-15mph if you let go of the bars the trike would actually crash if you let it.

So 250x and 300ex axles are EXACTLY the same? Same width, sprocket mount, spline pattern?

thefox
08-30-2007, 08:09 PM
It's not just a little bit. At about 10-15mph if you let go of the bars the trike would actually crash if you let it.

So 250x and 300ex axles are EXACTLY the same? Same width, sprocket mount, spline pattern?

From what I understand the EX axle is 2" shorter, you will have to use the offset hubs that it comes with to gain back the 2". The axel is shorter but the axle/hub combo is the same length. I don't know about the 250x.

Rustytinhorn
08-30-2007, 11:58 PM
rockymountainatv. com has a durablue axle for around $255 for the 350x

Jason Hall
08-31-2007, 07:32 AM
From what I have learned building my 450r 3wheeler, a 250x axle Is offset a about 1/2" farther to the left side of the carrier than the 350x. Your chain allighnment wont be exactly right. When I got my 350x It had a 250x axle In It, when I removed all the rear suspension I could easily see the sprocket hub was not the same offset. It didn't look like the chain ever came off, but It was not lined up straight. I will do some measuring If you want.