PDA

View Full Version : Is it really worth it?

Bo0YaA
08-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Ok guys I was just curious if spending the money on a new cobra exhaust and a 350x carb for my 250sx is going to give me enough boost in power to justify the expense. Ive had people tell me yes its a big increase and had others tell me they didnt even notice a difference.

I spend most of the time on mountain trails which can at times be very steep so I was thinking about doing this for the added low end power I hear it brings.

oldskool83
08-27-2007, 03:47 PM
maybe a 350X would be a better choice for what you do?

84honda200s
08-27-2007, 04:04 PM
if you want low end get your self a web-cam torque cam.

anytime you help a engine breath easier its a help. many people have different opinions on this matter. i asked the same question as you and never got a yes or no. it was always a mixed answer.

my opinion is get a pipe, get a carb, and if you have some money get a cam. them shaft driven trikes have good torque as it . imagine it when you do the 3 mods. again its only my 2 cents its not my money so i wont tell ya how to spend it.

MotorCity
08-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Usually just adding a bigger carb takes away from bottom end, as the diameter of the carb throat is larger, so charge velocity decreases. Bigger carbs usually help more on top end. The suggestion for torque cam may be a good one with the carb, but carb only, I think you'd lose bottom end torque.

Yamahondaman
08-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Usually just adding a bigger carb takes away from bottom end, as the diameter of the carb throat is larger, so charge velocity decreases. Bigger carbs usually help more on top end. .

Yes they do but..........................to keep a GOOD Low end with a B I G Carb , all's you need to do is "tweek" things out then you have it all .. back in the day EVERYBODY in the 2-Stroke ATV NATL Races wanted the PWK 35 0r 36mm carb. to "Have the Power" In and Out of the Corners ... come to find out that "THEY" Waisted there Money and ended up with the 39mm PWK's...the 4-Strokes..AHH
my fingers are tired !! :lol:
HEY JOHN .... GREAT Idea !!! i like it ! :naughty:

Bo0YaA
08-27-2007, 05:57 PM
if you want low end get your self a web-cam torque cam.

anytime you help a engine breath easier its a help.

SO maybe just a pipe and K&N?? forget about the carb and cam for now.

DOG987
08-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Any thing you do to get more tourqe is gonna cost ya some top end.
I found that changing to a hi flow exaust and a larger rear sprocket
Makes a very noticable difference. Smaller sprocket = more top end,
larger sprocket = more tourqe :beer
What size tires are you running that will make a differance too

84honda200s
08-27-2007, 09:19 PM
one problem dog. the sx is shaft driven. like i said a torque cam will help you more than a pipe will i think. either way none of these mods are real cheap by any means. all i can say is do what you want to do man. most importantly do what can afford to do.

honda250sx
08-27-2007, 09:39 PM
I have had most success with my sx with an 86/87 carb. If you plan on going with a cam be sure to get the chrome moly valve springs and ti retainers. Also have the rockers hard surfaced or you will be wasting your time with a cam in the sx. I am running a high comp piston, web aggresive cam, springs and retainers, and a supertrapp exhaust from an xr250 just like the one madmax has. If you do go with a 350x carb it loves the airbox lid off. Maybe Dirtcrasher will chime in he has done alot with the sx and has a nasty motor in his.

Bo0YaA
08-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Well a bolt on cam from web-cam is around $112.00 which is the one she suggested in order to keep my bottem end. A cobra exhaust is 129.00 and I can get a 350x carb for about $60.00 plus a K&N which is around $40.00. The cam is the only thing that im not sure if I can do myself, all the rest is pretty simple.

I dont want to bore it out if I dont have to, I just want to get the most I can out of it without spending as much as a new bike costs lol. I can handle $350.00 if once all thats done I can seriously feel the difference.

honda250sx
08-27-2007, 10:34 PM
well with the shaft drive its never about speed. but you sure as hell can make her get there fast~!

RedRider_AK
08-28-2007, 03:04 AM
Cobra exhaust won't help out your bottom end very much. They're too "straight-thru" in design.