PDA

View Full Version : Easiest, cheapest way to ship a 350x motor?

Dammit!
08-22-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm trying to sell my extra 350x motor locally but odds are I'll end up having to ship it somehwere to finally sell it. I've never shipped a motor so... how do you guys do it? I would think it should be crated and sent freight but I see people selling motors on ebay and shipping via UPS all the time. What are they doing just using heavy duty boxes and hoping for the best? I didn't think UPS would ship something in a wooden crate. :wondering

blue27
08-22-2007, 05:33 PM
I just got a 300ex motor from another member and it was packed in 2 milk crates with a wooden frame and shrink wrapped. It came via UPS I think it was around 65 or 75 to ship. Years ago I shipped a 350x botttm end home through UPS (put the top end in my carry on luggage, lol), just used alot of bubble wrap and a heavy "moving box" from the U-Haul store.

dreadhed
08-22-2007, 05:36 PM
I like to use a big tupperware.

team-red-rider
08-22-2007, 05:40 PM
use a rubber made tote...and ship DHL thats what i do!!!!

Trouble
08-22-2007, 05:43 PM
take it to UPS and they will crate it and ship it for you. sold a 8HP engine on ebay not to long ago, and thats what i did.

84honda200s
08-22-2007, 06:24 PM
i sold a l/c sled engine, exhaust, carbs, clutch to some guy in washington state and it only cost me 90 to ship all that stuff. how ever the clutch, exhaust, and carbs went in a diff. box. i made a wooden crate for the motor then put it in a box (ups told me they wont take a wooden crate). i did it that way because ive gotten a motor (liquid cooled) in a plastic tub and the water pump was broke rite off because ups must have dropped it. but seeing how its a air cooled motor id send it in a plastic tub. just take anything off that may be able to break off during shipping.

mike from long island
08-22-2007, 07:07 PM
I recently sold about 5 350x motors.I used UPS.The distance made the price higher.But from New York to Cali was about $85 bucks.Less as it got closer to me.All I did was place the motor in a rubbermade tote.I bought a bunch on sale for $5 bucks.I placed lots of cardboard on the bottom and place the motor on top of that.This way if they drop the tote it has a cushion to absorb the impact.Then I simply just packed cardboard all around the motor to tighten it up in the tote.I put the lid on and drilled numerous holes threw the lid.Down into the bottom tote.Then pull zipties threw and cut off the extra length.The UPS guy like it that way.They have handles to grab.Or if they have a handcart.It is very stable. I try to overkill and make sure it will arrive safely.It is a pain,but thats the price you pay to sell parts online :D

Good luck.

badasskfx
08-22-2007, 07:55 PM
i use a cooler, not sure if you can find one wide enough for the 350x moter. i duct tape it closed and havent had an issue yet. realy it works great.

kwbyfrmhell
08-22-2007, 07:59 PM
if they know you are shipping a motor or anything with oil or fluids a lot of companies will try to charge you more(doesnt matter if fluids have been drained) I also use rubbermaid inside a box. FYI I have found fedex ground to be the cheapest in larger packages.

Dammit!
08-22-2007, 08:37 PM
I agree about fedex ground. I actually have an account so I get another 12% off. Seems to only be worth it for large items though.

Mastacator
08-22-2007, 08:45 PM
"yamahondaman" shipped an XR200 motor to me in an old cooler stuffed with old blankets. He screwed the lid down with long deck screws!! It was awesome!! If you have an old cooler, or know someone who does, it works so good!

rally4x4racer
08-22-2007, 08:55 PM
an old cooler.... nice, I like it.

I have shipped a lot of smaller engines and I wrap them in carboard (taping the carboard around them) and then put them in a box. This would probably be difficult for an engine as large as a 350X ...

DO NOT USE THE USPS - they use robots for packages over 50 lbs and they will destroy an engine. TO **** WITH THE P.O.!!!!

willrideanythin
08-22-2007, 09:11 PM
use a cooler and screw it shut. It has handles and some have wheels.
Luke

dgould
08-22-2007, 10:11 PM
I shipped a 350x motor to AL and used a good box lined all the sides with 1" stryofoam from Lowes and packed it real tight and put a few more boxes around the inner box and it did great. I used DHL and it was lots cheaper than UPS. DHL is cheaper when the package is over 75lbs and I believe the 350x ended up weighing 82 pounds after all the packing.

blue27
08-23-2007, 03:48 AM
also label it real well, if you tape a label on then go around the entire package a couple of times, I like to write my address under the label incase if falls off. I had a Lifan 125 sent to me from CA and by the time it made it to the main Post Office in CA the label that was taped onto a wooden box fell off. So the sender got the label back and the motor is lost!!! Took 2 months with the USPS and Paypal to get my money back. Sux!!!