PDA

View Full Version : Tecate Front Rim

BigGreenMachine
08-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Anyone that owns the fat tire Tecate is probably sick of using the fat front tire. Its heavy for one, ugly second and is only cool to people who really dig the fat tired trikes.

I for one like it though I have been looking at different options.

I know a few members are running the 22-8/10 size front tire which is noticeably skinnier then stock and I imagine much lighter.

I was just out to size it up and the offset is 4+6 on a 10x10 rim.

Now it might be blindingly simple but a 3+5 10x8 front rim would bolt on and be perfectly centered would it not? Then you could run any of the numerous 7 inch width tires for 10 inch rims right?

It has to be that simple, since those dimensions are only an inch narrower on each side.

James

tecatecrazy
08-18-2007, 03:07 PM
the stock front rim is a 3+5

BigGreenMachine
08-18-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm showing 4+6 all around. All stock DID rims. 85 Tecate

Also if that was the case Tecat-Z would not have had to force the beads out to set the 8 inch wide tire onto his stock front rim.

What am I missing?

nd4speed
08-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Well I was driving around looking for a front tire today but no luck locally.

I referenced this old post:
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=59710&highlight=tecate+front+rim

I bought a used 10" aluminum front rim for my 1984 and it is 9 inches wide and the offset is 3+6.

I was going to order the Kenda K284 Front Max 22x11x10. But Kenda says it is for a 8 inch wide rim but mine is 9. I am just goinhg to cross my fingers.

cr480r
08-19-2007, 06:14 AM
Anyone that owns the fat tire Tecate is probably sick of using the fat front tire. Its heavy for one, ugly second and is only cool to people who really dig the fat tired trikes.

I for one like it though I have been looking at different options.

I know a few members are running the 22-8/10 size front tire which is noticeably skinnier then stock and I imagine much lighter.

I was just out to size it up and the offset is 4+6 on a 10x10 rim.

Now it might be blindingly simple but a 3+5 10x8 front rim would bolt on and be perfectly centered would it not? Then you could run any of the numerous 7 inch width tires for 10 inch rims right?

It has to be that simple, since those dimensions are only an inch narrower on each side.

James

It is not that simple...The stock wheel offset is 3+5.5... I have measured both '84 and '85 wheels... wheel measurements are taken at the outer bead seat...not at the outside edge of the wheel...all aftermarket wheels I have seen are 3+5... a 3+5 wheel will require some shimming towards the right fork tube to be truly centered.. I doubt most 1st gen T3 owners even check this, but being off-center does create some poor handling traits... Depending on the thickness of the wheel center, the mis-alignment may end up being a lil bit less... But is shimming even worth hassling with just to be 1/2" skinnier? I am sure a stock wheel could be polished to be nearly as nice as a brand new one... If you really want a want a narrower wheel... IMO the best option is to use a complete '86 front-end... personally I dont care for the look of a skinny wheel in the wide tripples of a 1st gen T3... and I really doubt anything aftermarket is going to fit correctly without being shimmed...unless maybe the kawasaki pattern(4/155)douglas wheels have a different offset than the more commonly used 4/156 pattern wheels... you might call Douglas wheel and ask them... Maybe the 10X9 red labels have an offset closer to the oems... but that still doent help with your skinny wheel situation..maybe they can build you one...