PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coating machine

oldsking86
08-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Anybody have one of those like personal powder coaters? I have the oven I'd need to do small pieces and and what not, but is this thing any good?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94244

Dammit!
08-17-2007, 01:21 PM
I have a Craftsman powdercoating system I'll sell you for 80 bucks shipped. No compressor needed. It has it's own air supply.

oldsking86
08-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Got any pics of it? This is for my dad so he'll want to see what it looks like.. It has it's own supply? Like do you need to pressurize it first?

Dammit!
08-17-2007, 01:29 PM
You do not have to hook it up to an external air supply at all. It makes it's own air pressure which is cool because you don't have to worry about the moisture in an air tank. I got it off ebay for a hundred bucks over a year ago and never ended up using it.

http://members.cox.net/dammit3ww/powdercoatgun.jpg

oldsking86
08-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Sweet when the old man gets in this afternoon I'll show it to him, thanks bro!

honda250sx
08-17-2007, 04:51 PM
The craftsman is decent. I run the eastwood hotcoat system. I run the small hobby hotcoat. Its phenomenal. You need a small air compressor. Run the compressor regulated at 12psi. Must have moisture trap. I have been doing my own powdercoating for about a year and a half. Wow do you ever save money. These guys are charging out the butt to have things done. Its ridiculous. So i bought the system and picked me up a scratch n dent oven off of craigs list and a countertop oven and went to town. Beyond happy with the results. Start doing it yourself and SAVE MONEY! good luck

tri-z_250R
08-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Those craftsman ones are very nice. The only problem is you have to hook the little clip on the part to give the metal a charge for the powder to stick to. You can always take the clip off when done, and shoot some powder on the bare spot before you bake it.
What dammit was saying about it making its own pressure, it's really like a strong fan that forces powder out of the cartrige. Anther cool thing (I don't know if other products do this) Is that with the craftsman one you are able to control how much powder comes out at once by pulling the trigger more or less.

honda250sx
08-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Well really you can clip the lead on the stainless hooks you hang you parts on. I hardly ever clip my part unless its really heavy gauge metal.

oldsking86
08-18-2007, 12:47 AM
Yea I heard of the eastwood one, I think that's the one my pop's was looking at because he has a compressor to use for it... He ain't a fan of any craftsman tool lol He's a Snap-On guy but I will see if he wants to go with Doug's coater

Yea they do charge so much that;s why we wanted to get one for ourselves to safe on bucks!

hondahaulic
08-18-2007, 03:07 PM
cant remember the brand, but we have a small one in the shop at our school that i use all the time, it works great and we just have an old kitchen stove-top oven in the shop