PDA

View Full Version : Need ATC 70 help

atc4everbob
08-15-2007, 01:07 PM
I just came across a 1984 ATC 70. It was a barn find. I got it very cheap. Cosmetically, it's in good shape. I just ordered a new front fender, rear plastic is very nice w/decals intact. Chrome is a bit rusty, tank rusty inside, seat good. I was just messing around with it and found out it does not have a spark (with a NEW plug). Are the points located behind the flywheel on these? I thought they were on the top end where the CDI pulse generators are located on the newer models. Don't know much about the 70s. I'm not sure what to do here, sell it as-is or try to get it running. It needs tires due to sitting for a decade. If I knew all it needed was points and a carb rebuild I would definitely do it, but it could be the coil, stator, wiring, or anything after sitting that long. I don't want to stick $200 in it and get $250 out of it. Any ideas? I know some of you are probably thinking "buy a book", but again, I'm not sure if I'm going to get it running or just unload it as-is. It doesn't take long to exceed the value of these little bikes. Thanks for your help.

ceaserthethird
08-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Dude once you get it running - you'll be in love !

These 70's are awesome

Post Some Pictures ??

blue27
08-15-2007, 03:46 PM
:welcome: Welcome to the insane worlds of 70s!!!:lol: :lol: :crazy: And once you change the points under the flywheel you will never go back. lol:naughty:

No really the most common issue is the points go out and they are under the flywheel.
Here is a manual
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=92462
and a good forum site on ATC70s

:pics: :pics: :D

T3 LOPES
08-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Get it running Bob and bring it to TF 08 and I'll buy it from you for the camp site discount. Tell Ronda I said hi. Lopes

atc4everbob
08-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Damn, that's the info I was looking for Blue27! Thanks a mil. Now I hope I have a flywheel puller for it. I have 3 pullers, but you know how that goes. Guess I'll be ordering a set of points.

As for you Lopes, if I have enough beer at TF'08 camp, we WILL negotiate! Good to hear from you again! Bring PLENTY of money (among other things, hehehe).

Frankencelery
08-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Hey, speaking of removing flywheels, have any of you guys had problems removing the flywheel on one of these? I decided to do the points on my 70 and I couldn't get the flywheel out of the housing! It came off the shaft fine, but as it gets halfway out of the opening, it gets stuck! What gives?

ceaserthethird
08-15-2007, 07:44 PM
Soak it with PB BLaster for a Day !

blue27
08-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Pull the side cover off, the cover that the pullstart bolts to , you will have to remove the chainguard, just unbolt it enough that the side cover comes off. See if that helps if not post a pic of what you got.