PDA

View Full Version : YTM idleing help

pickleweasel_00
08-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Hey guys, got a problem with my 1983 YTM200. Nothing to keep me from riding but it is annoying. Since I've had it, it will start and idle fine but after it gets warmed up, it won't idle unless you keep on the throttle. I've adjusted the idle speed with little or no cure. Could it be the jetting? Or something else? Anybody else have similar problems?

stoney420
08-14-2007, 12:00 AM
im not sure if i still have the problem cause i just got done cleanin my carb and etc but i was having the same problem with my 85 ytm200, after it got warm it would only idle for like 15 seconds or around there then it would slowly die out so i would appreciate help on this matter also :)

_brad_
08-14-2007, 04:51 AM
I have a similar problem with my 84 YTM200. After she warms up real good it has a tendency to die after giving it the slightest bit of throttle. I have learned to avoid little touches of the throttle but instead just gun it. :lol:

I have pinpointed the problem to be something electrical. I'm thinking the ignition coil. Once the coil heats up it does not fire as well as it did when it was cold. I see this all the time with outboard motors; they run fine until they get hot. Then they start to act up.

Classical electrical problem.

One thing to do is a resistance test on the coil. That will tell you if it is firing like it should.

mark38090
08-14-2007, 09:47 AM
I had the same problem with my 85,, bought a carb kit and now it will idle, but not a smooth idle.

Sargon2112
08-14-2007, 09:54 AM
My Dad used to have the same problem on his YTM200EK back in the day, and my 85 DX does it also but only when it's hot out. In the winter, my 85 is fine. I always thought it was carb adjustment or maybe the pilot jet...? I never pursued it though since I ride mostly in the winter anyway. Could be electrical like brad says... seems to be a common issue with the YTM's no doubt.

Sargon

_brad_
08-14-2007, 10:35 AM
"My Dad used to have the same problem on his YTM200EK back in the day, and my 85 DX does it also but only when it's hot out. In the winter, my 85 is fine."

Bingo.

pickleweasel_00
08-16-2007, 02:26 PM
anybody know of a place to get a new coil? Yamaha dealer maybe? couldn't find anything on denniskirk, but that's where I got the lighting coil?

Rocksoup
08-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Mine does the same thing.....idles fine until it warms up, then won't idle. The carb is clean as can be. I've adjusted every possible thing to no avail. Runs like a top otherwise. I just learned to live with it. The cure is probably something simple, I just havn't figured it out yet.

_brad_
08-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Try the dealer for parts.