PDA

View Full Version : tank probs

grafitti911
08-09-2007, 03:27 PM
whats the easyest way to fix a metal tank i tryed water weld it lasts for a year then it goes bad

atc4everbob
08-10-2007, 06:39 PM
That's a kinda vague question. There are many factors here. It depends on the size of the hole, the location, etc. For example, if the leak is in a pinchweld (lower seam), these can be brazed, but it needs to be done by someone who really knows how. A greenhorn can easily make it worse. If it's leaking somewhere other than a seam, you can scratch up the area around it (providing it's just a pinhole) about the size of a nickel or so, and apply J.B. Weld. If it was mine, I'd put a small dent at the hole and fill it with J.B. Weld. The dent will allow a thicker coat of J.B. Weld. If you go this route, it is VERY important that the surface is propared right. Scratch it down to BARE metal with something very rough (the rougher the better), and be absolutely sure the surface is clean and dry before applying J.B. Weld. Allow at LEAST 24 hrs to cure before adding fuel. I know guys that used this technique and have gotten by for years without having additional problems. Just use common sense. Obviously, either route you go will screw up your paint job. After the repair is made, it can be spot painted to be less noticeable. Hope this helps.