PDA

View Full Version : Painting Fairings

stocktod
08-09-2007, 07:32 AM
What can you do about painting the fairings on a bike? Mine are all faded, moldy, etc from sitting out in the elements for so many years. I would appreciate the help!

johnny's X
08-09-2007, 10:00 AM
I painted the ones on my trike. It was not cheap the way I did it though. I bought ppg paint with flex additive. It is used on bumpers. I sanded the plastice and filled the cracks the wet sanded it. primed then wet sanded again and finally painted it and then wet sanded again and it turned out perfect.

Mr. Clean
08-09-2007, 12:56 PM
What johnny's x said or you could use Bull Dog Primer (adhesion promoter).

stocktod
08-10-2007, 08:41 PM
thanks for the pointer. johnny, i saw the pics and the bike looks great! i have no idea how to wet sand, any advise? does the flex paint hold up well after riding for awhile?

JasonB
08-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Im in the same boat right now, I need new plastic parts for my 83 R that no one produces. I wet sanded my 91 mr2 Turbo when we painted it so I know how the process goes, Im just afraid of the effects of the elements on a painted set of ATV plastics that see sand and mud on a monthly basis. I would think it would peel/chip/scratch/fade in some way. I need to do some research before I get into this project but Im for sure doing a ground up restoration on my R

if you want advice on wet sanding though, its simple. You start with a coarse grit, I forget the number after 3 years but i think like 300 grit, wet the paper and sand it all. Then step up to like 600 grit and wet the plastics as you sand. then step up to 1000 and repeat. I forget what grit you stop on but its one of the higher grits you can use and its just about the same consitency of white paper the you write on (cause its soooooo fine of a grit of sand paper). Thats my notes on wet sanding, please correct me but thats the basics

stocktod
08-11-2007, 08:03 AM
sounds like you and i are in the same boat ATCaddict. you'll have to let us know how it goes with the rebuild. if you find another solution for the plastics, please let me know. i was concerned with the paint, too...being in the elements and all. i was hoping that johnny or somebody else could chime in about the durability.