PDA

View Full Version : frame painting, color and what to do?

oldskool83
08-08-2007, 08:31 AM
started strippinhg my frame with the really good stuff, seems to take paint off any surface. i had a little trouble at the welds but a hard tooth brush and brushing took care of that.

i need a color close or exact match to the 83-85 200x's. i am going to spray can it but should i ruff up the rusted spots and then prime it 1st? not sure if i should give it 2 coats of red or not.

ive painted things before just not rusted things.

if anyone has a color code or brand that works well let me know.

johnny's X
08-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Yes you should take all the rust off before you prime,, atleast if you are trying to make it look good. You should go to body shop and bye some paint and have someone spray it... you will be alot happier with end result

oldskool83
08-08-2007, 09:56 AM
good point, i know a friend that works at one he should be able to match the frame and may be able to sand blast the rest for me.

should i plug the threaded holes up before its painted?

ProCarbine2k1
08-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Oldskool, if you have the funds have an autobody shop do it. And even though professional clear would hold up, I would use an acrylic enamel.. its about as tough as youre going to find (OEM style paint). Also make sure before its painted that it is prepped well and use a good primer and sealer before you have any paint put on.

jeffatc250r
08-08-2007, 10:21 AM
I dont know what your budgit is, but in my opinion powdercoating is the way to go, one of my frames has 5 year old powder and is just as shiny as day one, no worn off spots by the pegs either. My local shop does it for 150 bux if the frame is stripped already. Paint is nice at first, but doesnt seem to hold up.

oldskool83
08-08-2007, 10:32 AM
a power coating shop around here wants $250 per frame. i would like to have it done but paint is fine with me, just as long as its not crapy spay paint.

Orangecnty250r
08-08-2007, 10:35 AM
I go to autobody paint supply stores and have them color match my stuff now. I think you can still buy passion red in the can from honda or is that just the small touch up bottles.

oldskool83
08-08-2007, 10:48 AM
i am no where close to a store like that, any chance you can match somthing for me. i dont need stock paint, just somthing close to the same shade. ill be needing swingarm and mono shock colors also, for a 85 mono shock

Dammit!
08-08-2007, 11:06 AM
I assume you'll be using Maier fenders? If so, match that instead of the Honda red. They're not the same (Maier is darker).

oldskool83
08-08-2007, 11:21 AM
i got a maier 250R front fender and its nearly the same as the old 200x colors. i am using stock 200x fenders

RedRider_AK
08-08-2007, 02:55 PM
I'd do powdercoating as well. 250 for a frame isn't too bad, if you've got a good quality frame that will hold up for a while. Maybe you should have a welder make some gussets for you, then have the whole shebang powdercoated. Then, 20 years down the line you can sell your still good frame for big bucks and then retire for the rest of your life! :lol:

johnny's X
08-08-2007, 03:02 PM
oldskool if you have the frame blasted you will need to get some eching primer. I used all ppg products when I painted my frame. I didnt fill holes with silicon but I did retap all the holes when I was done. I am in the beging stages of frame off on a 250sx and I will do the same with that frame.

oldskool83
08-08-2007, 03:12 PM
i am getting frame work done this weekend, there was a thin spot in the frame i could bend metal with my finger nail so it needs attention.

i will weight my options, i did spend about $25 already in paint stripper which worked very well. i will check out another place i found to power coating, i know my swingarm will need gussets for sure...ill see what happens.

gota get somthing done soon to start putting it all back together

hinddee29
08-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Here is a few things you may be able to do.
Do you have any paint store around you? Like Sherwin Williams.
It wasn't sherwin williams that did it for us, but they may be able to do it now.
I'm a Commerial Painter and we have this paint store that can custom
match pretty much any color and put it into a spray can. I don't know how much this would cost to do.

Another thing you could do and Sherwin Williams sells the kit well here anyway.
You get a jar and a little can of compressed air and make your own spray can.
So all you would need to do is have them make you up the color you want in
Industrial Enamel thin it, and put it into the jar and presto you have your spray paint. You could take your plastic and they should be able to match it for you.
If the Sherwin williams around you sells automotive paint. Then get there enamel instead, but chances are they don't. There is only one store around here that sells it.

Prep the frame as you would any metal. Then shoot a few coat of the enamel.
The industrial enamel is pretty good stuff and should last awhile, just follow the
coat times. Really though it doesn't matter how good the paint is if the prep work
wasn't done right.

Really if you can afford powder coating you can't go wrong. It's stronge stuff.

Dirtcrasher
08-08-2007, 06:33 PM
There are 2 options for a good quality job and they've both been mentioned.

1 Auto paint with a hardner, you already did most of the prep work...

2 Powder Coating, they'd just have to kiss it with the sandblaster a bit.

Nothing else will stand up to dirt, rocks and mud......

blue27
08-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Oldskool, most NAPAs and Snavley And Dosch can colormatch as long as they have a sample. I had Snavley in Mount Joy match the Tiger blue for me and He sain that one of the other stores can make cans. Napa uses Sherman Williams paint and I think the Lancaster store also can make it in cans. I just had a 300EX frame sandblasted and powdercoated Satin Black for 90 bucks buy a Mennonite farm up in Litiz. I have not been there but a friend that has a custom shop ran it up for me and he uses this guy alot. It came out real nice and they even plugged all the holes up.

oldskool83
08-09-2007, 07:11 AM
i got some paint at auto zone, its enamal spay but the red came out too orange so i am taking it back. 90 bucks to power coat a frame...wow. i took my frame to the local power coating plate and i was told $300-500...i left really pissed off

the less i gotta do the better. i dont feel like painting this by hand but i dont wanna have 500 bucks worth of paint in a frame and swingarm either.

Huffa
08-09-2007, 07:36 PM
All that hard work you did it at least deserves the best spray can product, if that is what you are going to use.

Any spray can paint that I ever used was not durable at all ....... EXCEPT PJ1.

http://www.motofaxwholesale.com/id42.htm

It's about 3 bucks more then your average can, well worth it.

If you can find a color you like order some if you don't have any in your area.

Still worth it if you must pay the shipping, waaaaay worth it!

Chris200X painted his Tri Z frame/other items with the stuff also and I think he cleared it with PJ too.

They do have it in Honda red .......what Honda red is the question because there wrere a lot of shades through the years of Honda red!

oldskool83
08-10-2007, 07:00 AM
i think im gonna bike the bullet and get a bunch of stuff power coated. i want it done right and blue27 gave me a link which i already called and i just gotta take a day off work to take them the parts.

farming things out to be done is easier for me at this point...i hate painting things.

jeffatc250r
08-10-2007, 01:21 PM
I think you made the right decision, you will be much happier with it in the years to come.

oldskool83
08-10-2007, 01:26 PM
i hope so, only decided to go with powder coating since blue hooked me up with a guy doing it pretty cheap....now i got 10 things laying on the garage floor to go get powder coated.

Dirtcrasher
08-10-2007, 06:46 PM
HALLELUYAH!! Someone finally listened about the right way to do it. Powder or Auto paint, thats the bomb!!!!!!

junkrider
08-12-2007, 02:18 PM
There are 2 options for a good quality job and they've both been mentioned.

1 Auto paint with a hardner, you already did most of the prep work...

2 Powder Coating, they'd just have to kiss it with the sandblaster a bit.

Nothing else will stand up to dirt, rocks and mud......

I use stuff from a company called "Por-15", and have had pretty good luck with them. Cheaper than powder coating, but I noticed that the sides of the frame on my YZ-250 where the pegs are did rub through, similar to the factory paint. Perhaps a couple more coats would have helped.

Dirtcrasher
08-12-2007, 02:28 PM
I'll rephrase...

There are probably hundreds of substances out there that will hold up to rocks, dirt and mud. As long as they are an epoxy or self hardening product then they should work great.

PJ1 does seem to be liked by many, but it's still not nearly as durable as a true 2 part mix.

It's really crazy that by now we haven't developed something we can shoot out of a can that hardens as it cures. Cmon technology, whats up??

junkrider
08-12-2007, 02:42 PM
I'll rephrase...

It's really crazy that by now we haven't developed something we can shoot out of a can that hardens as it cures. Cmon technology, whats up??

We need more polymer chemist PHDs that ride!!! Time to network, perhaps???

:idea:

DIGGER DOG
08-13-2007, 12:02 PM
the PJ1 stuff is ok but it doesent match maier fenders
my 200X frame and tank came out looking more orange than the red of the maier fenders I think the color avail from PJ1 is an 88 honda red