PDA

View Full Version : help making tire decision

stoney420
08-08-2007, 04:41 AM
hey all im looking to get some new tires for my 85 ytm 200 and rockymountainatv.com seems to be the way to go! but im havin a hard time choosing which ones to get..i really like to play in the mud and just cruise the trails out in the woods, do a little field riding, and want to be able to still whip it around corners...
here is the link to the page of all tires that fit my trike..
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/typeDetail.do?navType=type&page=all&webTypeId=138&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webCatId=8&allVehParts=true&vehicleType=&pageLinkUri= (if it takes u to the page of all tires u may have to put in 85 ytm 200 at top of page to see only the ones that fit.)

i was thinking one of the "duro mud and sand"(copycat of the old wooly boogers) for the front but am open to suggestions, and was thinking either the "maxis sur trak" or the "itp mud lite at" for the back tires but am open to suggestions there too... what u guys think?
oh yea and a little bit of bounce would be nice since i have no rear suspension!
thx lookin forward to the suggestions.
~Stoney~

McDerry
08-08-2007, 11:24 AM
If your looking for bounce, go with the cheng shin knobby's. Most everything else you are looking at is 4 ply or 6 ply. Although if your gonna go with the 6 ply, I'd steer towards the dirt devils, as they provide a squarer profile and allow the bike to slide more, in addition to having a aggressive all terrain tread.

stoney420
08-08-2007, 11:52 PM
i do like the dirt devils but they only come in 24x8x11 so i would have to get different wheels which i wasnt really lookin to do and i dont think i could fit 24's under there anyway, stock there 22x11x8 and im not sure i could go the extra 2 inch with the plastic and all...,and about the chang shins, wasnt really lookin to go with the stock lookin knobbys plus there alot smaller so i wouldnt have as much clearence or tire width and it would suck in the mud. so i guess im still open to suggestions...what do u guys think?
what kind of tires u guys usin for trail, mud?
thx,
~Stoney~

McDerry
08-09-2007, 01:59 AM
Dirt Devils are available in all the common sizes, but it looks liek they only carry it in that one size. I think I payed 60 a piece for mine locally.

I could have sworn the ytm's had 25x12x9's?

stoney420
08-09-2007, 02:54 AM
ok thanks ill have to look for the dirt devils on another sight, all the YTM's were 22x11x8 front and back, except the 83 and 84 ytm200 they were 22x11-8 in the back and 22x8x10 in the front... i think u were thinking of the yamahaulers they were all 25x12x9...
still looking for some suggestions
~Stoney~

RedRider_AK
08-09-2007, 03:06 AM
Maxxis Sur Traks are a good tire, my dad has a set of copies (BKT WING) on his 2wd Rancher and that thing goes ANYWHERE. They're pretty hard and will be tough on your back though.

stoney420
08-09-2007, 05:05 PM
thx red rider, i do like the tread pattern on them sur traks... i think pretty much any mud tire i go with will be rough on the back with no suspension so i guess ill have to deal with it till i get my 85 or 86 big red, so which other tires u guys think is good for the mud but will still let me slide it sideways when its wet in the corners?
~Stoney~

super90
08-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Sur traks, I had them on my 200x and they were great. I didnt need that big of a tire so I went with some stock 400ex radials which work fine for me, but there a little wore down so I'll probably get some holeshots or razrs. Theres not alot of great mud tires that wont hurt your back though since there almost all flat. But there the super swamper vampire tsl that is pretty round that will dig through alot, is good in snow and will slide great. You might want to look into thoes, there good tires.

heres what I was talking about, http://www.bigbuckatvproducts.com/images/Tires_Vampire%20Pics/SUPER-SWAMPER.jpg

They have about 1'' of tread on them. If you search for them and see the origional vampires thats not them. Thoes are huge compared to the tsls.

Heres their description:

The Super Swamper TSL /ATV is the ATV tire designed with absolute performance in mind. A combination of hot performance in slushy conditions while giving excellent grip on packed terrain and a smooth ride as well. The lateral traction of the Super Swamper TSL/ATV has been reduced to allow the tire to skid sideways which decreases the chances of rollover in tight turns. This is the tire that opened up a whole new world to the ATV enthusiast.

Seems like the tire your looking for.

pickleweasel_00
08-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Here's what I have, and they are great :beer

Kenda Dirt Dogs for the rear:

http://traxms.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ATV_Products-Tires-Snow_dirtdog

and Kenda Front Max on the front:

http://traxms.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ATVProducts-Tires-GeneralOE-Kenda-FrontMax

That's where I bought mine. The front tire steers better than the knobby tires ever thought of steering :D And they ride nice too. But if anything I would highly reccomend those for the front

stoney420
08-10-2007, 12:52 AM
thanx guys, i may end up getting that kenda for the front...
hey super 90, i was looking at those super swampers also but the closest they come in is 22x12.5x8 so they would be an inch and a half wider then the stock ones, im not sure i could go much wider cause on the exhaust side i think itll rub on the muffler wont it? anyone know for sure if they would fit?
thx for the info guys, any other suggestions?
nobody likes the itp mud lites? http://www.rockymountainatv.com/images/orprod/400/t/t_mud_lit-at_tir.jpg
~Stoney~

RedRider_AK
08-10-2007, 02:53 AM
ITP Mud Lites are far too over-rated in my opinion. My friend and I both have Big Bear 400's, but his is a 2007 and came stock with MudLites. I aggressively trail ride and I even used to do motocross style jumps (tables and doubles) with it, and have never had a flat with my stock tires. He has had his for 2 months and has already had 2 flats, and he rides a lot slower and in less challenging terrain than I do/did. Apparently my 2 ply tires are tougher than his 4 or 6 ply.

I would still go with the Sur Traks (or the BKT Wing's, or the Duro Buffalo's, they're basically identical). Kenda Bearclaw's are also a very good mud/trail tire.

Another choice is the Maxxis All-Traks. They have a more standard "knobby" design, but they are VERY BUFF knobs and will get plenty of traction and will slide better than the "bar-tread" designs of the Mudlites, Sur-Traks and all those other ones.

McDerry
08-10-2007, 02:58 AM
The TSL is a descent tire. Very soft rubber compound (like all interco tires), inturn incredibly pliable. The one downside I can see with the tire is the tread pattern is very similiar to its big brother the Bogger, which has no lateral stability. Makes you sldie sideways under power when off camber.

stoney420
08-10-2007, 05:41 AM
thanks guys, i think im leaning towards the maxxis sur traks, but i do still really like the "gpc dirt devil" anyone have any experience with these dirt devils? how well do they go through mud and would it be a horrible ride if i go down the road with em? they kinda look like it wouldnt be a very smooth ride...what do u guys think the dirt devil or the maxxis sur trak?

"GPC Dirt Devil"...
http://www.denniskirk.com/denniskirk/b2c/product_images/e/0/3/600pix/e03200199a.jpg
"Maxxis sur trak"...
http://www.denniskirk.com/denniskirk/b2c/product_images/s/u/r/600pix/surtrak.jpg

McDerry
08-10-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm running a set of the Dirt Devils on my 200s, and as far as traction, its point and shoot. The ride very smooth on the street do to the overlapping tread coverage.

stoney420
08-11-2007, 02:23 AM
thx mcderry, i think i might end up goin with those dirtdevils, they do look nice!anyone else have any suggestions? and what do u guys think for a front tire?

mapyang
08-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Hi I have a 1985 Honda 250sx it has a Kenda front max on it it steers perfect also on my stepsons SX it has maxxis all trak rear tires hook real well in all kinds of conditions very agressive tire never had a flat tire. I never had either of the 2 tires you like but I like those dirt devils. I just bought some Dick cepek spidertracs :naughty: 22x12.5x8 they were on a go kart and a like new can't wait to mount these.
Drew