PDA

View Full Version : 350X won't start...HELP PLEASE!!!

powerkicker
05-09-2003, 06:45 PM
My 350X won't start.There is definitely fuel to the carburetor.The ignition coil is in spec. The CDI box I'm not so sure about because I don't have the special tester Honda claims is neccessary to do the test. There is an intermitant(It doesn't seem to spark everytime) spark present when I run the kicker when I perform the spark test,but there is no arc in the plug-gap,there is a spark from the nut portion of the plug that jumps to the head.I though the nut was insulated from the electrode? The color is a VERY weak orange/yellow,not the bright blue I was expecting.What is broken on this thing? :? The bike ran fine after a recent re-build and then after I ran here through a mud puddle,she choked a little and then died. WE had to tow it home.The bike started the next day and ran about 50 yards and then died again.It hasn't even TRIED to start since. :( Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

J.D.
05-09-2003, 07:00 PM
Maybe the plug just decided to die? Have you tried a new one?

powerkicker
05-09-2003, 07:06 PM
No,I have not tried a new one.The one in it is new.I did note that the plug is very black and sooty looking at the electrode. Should the spark be able to jump to ground from the plug body instead of the electrode ? I wish it could be a simple as a factory-faulty sparkplug though I've never heard of such a thing...

Bill X_R
05-09-2003, 07:25 PM
Well I think the key is, the fact you ran through the water then is started acting goofy. The insulation may be breaking down on the magneto (X-MEN ROCKS). So it might be wet...I would pull the cover and try putting a hair dryer to it!

Couldnt hurt :)

hrc200x
05-09-2003, 07:33 PM
350x's have a drain for when water gets behind the flywheel cover so you don't have to remove the whole thing. I can't really remember which one it is, but its probably close to one of the ones at the very end of the shifter. It might not hurt to unplug all conections and see if they are wet.

kwit
05-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Try changing the plug and rejet i knwo i had a similaer problem with my big red ... changed the plug rejetted and it fired right up

brokdown
05-10-2003, 10:00 PM
I think anytime when the plug will arc between the nut and the head, the plug is bad. Change the plug and I think it'll solve your problem

-Lynn

roofinggun
05-10-2003, 11:25 PM
My 350x would not start the other day and it actually was the plug. It was an NGK with less than 30 minutes on it. I kicked and kicked until I couldn't kick anymore. Then I changed the plug and it fired first kick. I couldn't believe it either. Also check the wire and boot.

Howdy
05-11-2003, 12:03 AM
No,I have not tried a new one.The one in it is new.I did note that the plug is very black and sooty looking at the electrode. Should the spark be able to jump to ground from the plug body instead of the electrode ? I wish it could be a simple as a factory-faulty sparkplug though I've never heard of such a thing...

Dealing in ATV's over the past 13+ years ( and buying a lot of plugs ) I have seen many plugs that were junk out of the box. It never really bothered me because I would call up the supplier and he would send me 2 replacements for 1 bad one. He kept this customer happy. ;)

Howdy

NOS_350X
05-11-2003, 01:11 AM
My 350x would not start the other day and it actually was the plug. It was an NGK with less than 30 minutes on it. I kicked and kicked until I couldn't kick anymore. Then I changed the plug and it fired first kick. I couldn't believe it either. Also check the wire and boot.

mine has so much compression if you dont get it in the 1st or second kick then most the time thats all you got

powerkicker
05-11-2003, 10:19 AM
It wasn't the plug. I'm going to take it to the Honda dealer this week and let them rape and pillage me on the cost I guess... :(