PDA

View Full Version : My 200x bad 2nd gear

mndemohead
08-03-2007, 08:22 AM
I just picked up another 200x, It has been in hibernation for a long time, bike is actaully fairly decent. I got it to fire up very easily and it run really well, however 2nd gear is bad, is makes a noise like the chain is jumping, if you skip 2nd and go to 3rd all gears are fine the rest of the way through. I have never worked on the trans of one of these. I am fairly mechanical, but something about the trans that scares me. Anyone have any ideas whats wrong? Is this something I can fix myself? Or am I better off looking for another engine for the thing? Any help would be appreciated.

Dirtcrasher
08-03-2007, 02:57 PM
It's not hard at all if you've done work like this before. There are a ton of moving parts in there. BUT, if you know how to do it, the tranny and all shifter crap remains in the right case when you split it. Then you can carefully lay it out on a cloth and see whats up. Really need to read a service manual first and then follow it while you tear into it.

Usually hard shifting or just beating it screws something up in there. Just make sure to find out what went bad, I've seen lots of bad shift drums and the pin on the shifting fork that rides in the drum. They cause a partial engagement of a gear and it's all downhill from there.

You'll end up doing a top end if it's apart and maybe a clutch so I always budget about 300$ for a case split and partial build. Another motor is a crapshoot unless you can ride it.....