PDA

View Full Version : big problem w/ big blue

punkbek3886
05-09-2003, 03:40 PM
my 225dx has a big problem now. when i put it in neutral (engine off) and roll it back and forth it makes a loud tapping sound as it rolls and sometimes the wheels lock up. when i drive it it accelerates fine, and runs normally until i start to decelerate and it makes the tapping sound and i can feel it through the frame. the engine used to make a similar erratic tapping sound at low rpms and when in gear the autoclutch would lurch when it made these sounds. does it sound like my centrifugal clutch is bad? im thinking about taking off the rear end and trying to isolate the problem to the tranny. ill roll the rear suspension and if it doesnt bind up ill know that the problem is w/ the tranny.

punkbek3886
05-09-2003, 04:50 PM
well, i took off the rear end and the problem seems to be in the ring and pinion area (i dont want to call it a differential because it really isnt one) i can roll the axle foward and it will be find but when i rotate it backwards it will lock up. also the shaft that goes to the tranny is very wobbly. is this normal or do i have to get new bearings?

Dirtcrasher
05-09-2003, 04:55 PM
If its got a ring and pinion then its a differential. All thats missing is the Spider gears.

I'm not sure if it's like my SX. But when they wear out your done. Mine only holds like an oz of fluid, way to little in my book but it works. Water kills these things - play in the mud and water, take a picture fun fun fun till it doesn't run!!

Couple of mine lost the splines, of course put in any bearings you can to tighten thins up!