PDA

View Full Version : Want to build custom mini trike, need advice.

riverrat
07-24-2007, 02:01 AM
So like I have all these parts lying around, and thought how funny would it be to make a trike using a weed-wacker motor, and some bicycle shocks.

I could run the wacker motor on alcohol, hook up a tuned pipe, and get maybe 2-3 hp out of it.

I am stumped when it comes to finding a rear axle. Was looking at some go-kart axles, but I am not sure how I would make them work.

I don't want to get too crazy with the price either.

I have my own welding equipment, and will make my own chassis.

So I am open to suggestions on what to use for a rear axle, and how to hook up hubs, brakes, and sprocket to it.

Kind of like a pocket trike?

cr480r
07-24-2007, 02:31 AM
I would use a motor from a belt-driven cut-off saw... they are usually around 6-7 horse...

riverrat
07-24-2007, 10:22 PM
I would use a motor from a belt-driven cut-off saw... they are usually around 6-7 horse...

Oh, there are many ways for me to get more HP, but I was thinking very small, and cute. For my son, and to play around with. There will be room to increase HP if the chassis and everything hold up.

The motor in those saws, are probably 80-100cc's. And pretty hard to come by.

The weed wacker motor I have is 31cc's, has a pull start and a clutch on it. Easy as pie. The whole bike can weigh less than 50lbs, and with a 60 lb rider, 2hp would be fun.

Still need a rear axle.

I was thinking about the go-kart axles, and I don't think they are meant to be suspended in the middle, and would probably fold.

Maybe I should just look for the right heat treated steel. Have the keyways for the wheels machined in, and weld something on to it, to mount a sprocket. Could drive it with the bicycle chain.

This is all not going to happen very soon, but I figure, start collecting parts now, and maybe by the winter.

team-red-rider
07-24-2007, 10:39 PM
i got an axle assy from a 110 u could prrly use?

rugabugadouglas
07-24-2007, 10:39 PM
get a old lawn mower axle out of a john deere there differental and have chain drive there about 3" around and 6" long as far as the diff looks and the axles are 3/4" shaft

riverrat
07-26-2007, 07:18 PM
I think the 110 axle may be too wide for what I want to do.

The John deere axle, has a differential attached to it?

RedRider_AK
07-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Use a 70 axle. If you want, I can probably sell you mine cheap. But that might be too heavy. But that would mean you'd have to use the 70/110 carrier too, and that's a little heavy. UHhh... I don't know what you'd use.

More on this: I made a mini-kart out of my sister's Kitty Cat engine (60cc 2-stroke, single-speed clutch) and an old Radio Flyer pedal-powered car. Extended the frame, fabbed up engine mounts and bolted an old plastic school chair to the frame, hooked some vice-grips to the steering stem, and made an over the shoulder throttle cable. That thing RIPPED for a single-speed 60, it probably went close to 20 mph topped out and the kart frame was so light (probably 5 or 6 lbs without engine, maybe a total of 30 with the engine, probably closer to 25 or so) it would do a burnout and shoot "roost" all the way up to it's top speed. I remember I tried to ride it like a motorized skateboard once, fell on my ass and got road rash and dirt embedded in one cheek LOL. I still have that dark blue streak of scar.

Why don't you make it a pocket-bike instead of trike? It'll be fun and maneuverable. Use a fully-suspended 20 inch mountain bike, for the suspension, forks, tires, etc. Custom-fab your own engine mounts. I'm actually planning something very similar myself, maybe with the same Kitty Cat motor :naughty:

Dirtcrasher
07-26-2007, 08:16 PM
I buy a hunk of 01 steel .750 or .875 and mount it in a Bridgeport cutting a .1875 or so keyway for every drive component. Then I'd broach my own key slot machine and weld up hubs for everything.

riverrat
07-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Use a 70 axle. If you want, I can probably sell you mine cheap. But that might be too heavy. But that would mean you'd have to use the 70/110 carrier too, and that's a little heavy. UHhh... I don't know what you'd use.

More on this: I made a mini-kart out of my sister's Kitty Cat engine (60cc 2-stroke, single-speed clutch) and an old Radio Flyer pedal-powered car. Extended the frame, fabbed up engine mounts and bolted an old plastic school chair to the frame, hooked some vice-grips to the steering stem, and made an over the shoulder throttle cable. That thing RIPPED for a single-speed 60, it probably went close to 20 mph topped out and the kart frame was so light (probably 5 or 6 lbs without engine, maybe a total of 30 with the engine, probably closer to 25 or so) it would do a burnout and shoot "roost" all the way up to it's top speed. I remember I tried to ride it like a motorized skateboard once, fell on my ass and got road rash and dirt embedded in one cheek LOL. I still have that dark blue streak of scar.

Why don't you make it a pocket-bike instead of trike? It'll be fun and maneuverable. Use a fully-suspended 20 inch mountain bike, for the suspension, forks, tires, etc. Custom-fab your own engine mounts. I'm actually planning something very similar myself, maybe with the same Kitty Cat motor :naughty:

That was funny story about the scar, sounds like something I would do.

Pocket bike? Come on, this is 3wheelerworld, we are surround by 3wheel freaks here.

I want to do a 70 also. I don't think will work either. The problem is that the trike has the axle supported in the middle, unless I do a setup like a 250sx, and support it on the ends, but I think that is heavier?

The 20" bike for suspension parts, is what I was thinking of using. Could probably get a new one from wal-mart for about $100 or so. Use the forks, rear suspension, maybe chop the frame, and reweld, and use the sprockets.

Just need to figure out this axle thing. There has to be a simple way.

riverrat
07-26-2007, 08:48 PM
I buy a hunk of 01 steel .750 or .875 and mount it in a Bridgeport cutting a .1875 or so keyway for every drive component. Then I'd broach my own key slot machine and weld up hubs for everything.

What is 01 steel? Is that heat treated?
Probably don't even need it, 3/4 steel rod is pretty strong, especially at the length I want to use it, maybe 24-28"

RedRider_AK
07-26-2007, 08:53 PM
You could widen the bicycle swingarm (just bend the hell out of the chainstays and then rebend the dropouts even again when you're done) and maybe reinforce it with some steel strips. Then mount bearings in the chainstays and use a custom axle. That was it's supported at two points and will not bend as much. It all depends on what the thing is going to be used for. I remember I bought a "custom made" minibike with a 5 horse Tecumseh (that's actually why I bought it, the engine was never run). It was made of a 26 inch bike frame, hacked and and jimmy rigged. They even widened the stock front fork to accept an ATV sized tire, and did the same to the back. It looked TERRIBLE, but it worked, somewhat. I took the thing apart the second day I had it, it was just too scary to think about the front fork snapping in half while I was bombing down a trail or something. What sort of tires and wheels are you using for this project?

super90
07-26-2007, 09:15 PM
A weedeater engine will never pull a solid mini trike like some described like with the 110 axle and forks. I used to have a 30cc 2 stroke engine out of a 'eater in a small 18'' bike. It was mounted between the frame and welded with some small brackets. It had a 6 tooth sprocket on the engine with a chain that drove a 44 tooth drive sprocket, which drove a 9 tooth on the otherside, that drove a 35 tooth. Top speed of around 20 mph. But I will say it had no balls at all! If you messed with gearing enough and somehow came up with some crazy sprocket system it might pull a metal trike, but weed eater engines just dont have enough power to pull more than a bicycle. If I were you I would look into pocketbike motors, Their meant for that stuff and will last alot longer.

riverrat
07-26-2007, 11:36 PM
You could widen the bicycle swingarm (just bend the hell out of the chainstays and then rebend the dropouts even again when you're done) and maybe reinforce it with some steel strips. Then mount bearings in the chainstays and use a custom axle. That was it's supported at two points and will not bend as much. It all depends on what the thing is going to be used for. I remember I bought a "custom made" minibike with a 5 horse Tecumseh (that's actually why I bought it, the engine was never run). It was made of a 26 inch bike frame, hacked and and jimmy rigged. They even widened the stock front fork to accept an ATV sized tire, and did the same to the back. It looked TERRIBLE, but it worked, somewhat. I took the thing apart the second day I had it, it was just too scary to think about the front fork snapping in half while I was bombing down a trail or something. What sort of tires and wheels are you using for this project?

Not sure yet, but was thinking anything 4.5" Like some go-kart tires, with tread.

riverrat
07-26-2007, 11:40 PM
A weedeater engine will never pull a solid mini trike like some described like with the 110 axle and forks. I used to have a 30cc 2 stroke engine out of a 'eater in a small 18'' bike. It was mounted between the frame and welded with some small brackets. It had a 6 tooth sprocket on the engine with a chain that drove a 44 tooth drive sprocket, which drove a 9 tooth on the otherside, that drove a 35 tooth. Top speed of around 20 mph. But I will say it had no balls at all! If you messed with gearing enough and somehow came up with some crazy sprocket system it might pull a metal trike, but weed eater engines just dont have enough power to pull more than a bicycle. If I were you I would look into pocketbike motors, Their meant for that stuff and will last alot longer.

I know, I know, but this is going to be a toy.

I fly R/C planes, and convert weedwackers to fly. When you run them on alcohol, and do some work to them, they can put out a solid 2.5hp

But I was concerned about gear ratio, since they spin about 9,000 rpm's

I am going to leave room, to put a larger engine in, if I think it is up to the task.

I am just in the information gathering stage, I am not sure if I would do this, or a rm80 conversion. I think whatever parts fall in my lap first. I just love talking about it, and learning from everyone.

hondahaulic
07-26-2007, 11:57 PM
if the weedwacker isnt powerful enough, use a chain saw!!! pretty sure they all have a clutch and everything that would be needed. if its gonna be more of a toy for you to screw around on than anything, i'd try to used the sprocket system from a multi-speed bike. but if its gonna get used alot by younger ones, you might wanna keep it as simple as possible.

oh and by the way, what alll needs to be done to a weedwacker to convert it to alchohol? im curious lol

RedRider_AK
07-27-2007, 03:11 AM
Try to find a secondhand Kitty Cat motor. Those things have some real pep to 'em. I just don't like the centrifugal clutch they have stock.

riverrat
07-27-2007, 10:54 AM
oh and by the way, what alll needs to be done to a weedwacker to convert it to alchohol? im curious lol

There's a couple things you have to do, or can do.
One is to increase the jet size. Also some carbs are not compatible with the alcohol, and the rubber in them melts away.

The other we do for these engines, is remove the flywheel, and magneto, and put an electronic ignition for gas, or convert them over to glow power, with an adapter in the head, to hold the glow plug. You need a battery to start it, but then thats it.

Without the flywheel, you get ride of a whole bunch of rotating mass.

There is a forum dedicated specifically to it.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_92/tt.htm

There is a wealth of info there.

riverrat
07-27-2007, 08:55 PM
I think I found place to buy the axles, and I am looking at those lifan 50cc motors, with auto tranny. For $200 it may be worth it.

http://www.rnrfabrication.com/flexproofaxle.htm

riverrat
07-27-2007, 09:45 PM
LOL, look at what I just found!
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ZMC-POCKET-QUAD-ATV-MINI-BIKE-DIRT-FOUR-WHEELER-BLCMO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ90986QQihZ019QQit emZ290142849376QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

digschopper
04-16-2011, 02:08 PM
use a 4 stroke motor for the torque. 2.5-5 is fine. use a gocart axle setup. the bearings should be close as possible to the wheels,but don't have to be right at them. use live axle,forget the atv axles(too heavy and makess you adapt to them)i'm building a raked chopper with a 2.5 tecumseh for my daaughter this way. feel free to write me for details or pics. digger

bcredneck
04-16-2011, 02:32 PM
thouse pocket quads use about the same power you want to use you should go faster than the quad using the same rear end since you would have less weight and i would convert one of thoues motors to keep the clutch its even been done already
http://www.pixels-parcels.de/images/trirage.jpg

blue27
04-16-2011, 03:04 PM
"bringin back the oldies"

riverrat
04-16-2011, 04:30 PM
haha, yea real old. I just bought a tri-zinger instead. Finally got it running the other day we have been having a blast with it. Doesn't move my fat ass around too well, need a running start for most hills, and forget about trying to start off in the woods without a push first.

digschopper
06-06-2011, 08:05 PM
weedwhacker motors BELONG in an rc plane,lol.

riverrat
06-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Got that already :)