PDA

View Full Version : Storing a trike on end?

pismorat
07-22-2007, 11:07 AM
I am moving soon and have a shed that will fit the dirtbikes. I may need to put the ATC110 on end though to make it all fit, is there an issue with this? I know we used to keep my dad's 185S vertical in the trailer, but I am just wondering if there are any ill side effects. I would keep the gas level below the cap, but other than that, what should I do? Thanks.

Dracus124
07-22-2007, 11:10 AM
If it is for a short time it will be ok

But if it is for a while.

Drain the gas, grease up on the exposed metal that may rust. put clean oil in it.

take out the spark plug and put in some Marvel Mystery Oil in side the cylinder

team-red-rider
07-22-2007, 11:38 AM
umm what? .....if your keeping it that way just like at night/wen not riding its totally fine....but wen u take it down let it sit before u start it ...so the oil can drain back down

Dirtcrasher
07-22-2007, 11:41 AM
I don't see any harm in it at all. If it sits, make sure the tires are aired up or they get a flat spots where dry rotting can occur.

Rustytinhorn
07-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Is there a crankcase breather tube that the oil could possibly spill out of since it will be tipped up? I've thought about doing this before and the only thing I would be worried about is just having all the oil sitting on the rear of the engine instead of on the bottom and maybe allowing something that usually would have been submerged to dry out, such as a seal or o-ring or something.
Just make sure you shut off your gas at your petcock since the carb wont work at that angle and would drain all your gas out through the carb if left on.

DeePa
07-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Whenever i do this I kick the motor over about 10 times to get some oil up in the head. Just turn the ignition switch off, kick it a few times, and youre good to go.

Mobular
07-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Whenever i do this I kick the motor over about 10 times to get some oil up in the head. Just turn the ignition switch off, kick it a few times.

I'll add to this point. This is done to fill the cam journal pocket with oil. When the trike is stored on end, the oil drains from this pocket. If you start the engine without having this filled, you risk a great chance off galling the cam and rockers. Play it safe and fill the oil pocket.

ATCnut
07-22-2007, 10:13 PM
My brother and I have been storing trikes like that since they were new in the 80s. You will want to drain the carb first, or it will spill out when you stand it up. You want to make sure the tank is below the gas cap hole too, the cap will not seal. It is my experence that it will not hurt it one bit.

ceaserthethird
07-23-2007, 12:37 PM
their are no problems storing the trikes on their rear end , Just make sure to drain the carb or it will drain into your intake air box / air filter .

IVTRIZ
07-23-2007, 08:17 PM
I stored mine once on end for 2 years, all I had to do was change the oil, gas it up and it stated right up. Mine is a 2-stroke however, so I didn't have to worry about lubing up the cam or any other head component.