PDA

View Full Version : Is this true, or am I crazy?

Shawn72
07-21-2007, 08:14 AM
We all know old school bikes when we see them, right? Metal tank, double shocks etc. And when you see them you know they're old. But, if you were to put a Restored 1986 TRI-Z 250 or 250R side by side with a 2007 Raptor, It's hard to tell which is newer. This is assuming you didn't know. I think they were 20-30 years ahead of thier time stylistically. Am i just TRI-Z bias, or does anyone share my opinion?

ColeTrickle
07-21-2007, 08:22 AM
personally I think the Tri-Z was way ahead of the honda:lol:

I do agree though, most people can't tell the difference between a restored 86 and a brand new 07 :beer

edog
07-21-2007, 08:28 AM
personally I think the Tri-Z was way ahead of the honda:lol:

I do agree though, most people can't tell the difference between a restored 86 and a brand new 07 :beer

You suffer from a mild case of Yamaha fever...the only way to cure it is Get a Honda.

the tecate kid
07-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Of course I am bias, but if you ask me, a 86-87 Tecate looks way sharper than any of these new Quads out now. The Quadracer lines are o.k, but what the f#*% is honda thinking with the trx450? Astro conversion kits looked better than that in the 80's

LonesomeTriZ
07-21-2007, 10:13 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

tecat-z
07-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Yes, i think all of the last gen liquid trikes were all superior to all of the current quads in appearance. The ltr is my personal favorite in styling for the current crop of 450's, and the honda has always been very bland. The competition model trikes were so streamlined and angular that they truly do look fast just sitting. Every time this topic comes up i cant help myself to think where the next generation of performance 3wheelers would have gone. Usd forks, all of them powervalved, detachable aluminum subframe, and all of them coming with aluminum swingarms, to mention a few items. In some ways trikes borrowed heavily from motocross bikes, and at that time even surpassed them in technology on certain levels. Amazing how far they came in just a few short years. And i never feel as though i'm riding an antique atv, with old fashioned technology. I am adaptive and have no problem using newer technology or parts on my trike. In the sand my trikes are plenty competitive and even surpass many of the newer quads. I have no intentions on buying a new quad just because it's new. I love my machines, i have and all of the compliments that come along with them. Make no mistake, well kept TRIKES still do OWN !!

Dirtcrasher
07-21-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm a Honda man all the way. But, I think the Tri-Z and last generation Tecate simply look like a pure racing machine and every much like a newer model out there today.

Realistically, they have improved the 2007 machines a bit, but not as much as you'd think for over 20 years of R and D.

When I was about 16yo in the 80's Dirt Bike or Dirt Rider ran an article about what to expect from a bike in 2000. It talked about a leaf spring type rear shock and numerous other changes. SOMEBODY has that magazine!! I wish I had it.......AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!! I'd love to pick it apart.

Seems like canondale was one of the only few manufacturers to try something new.

BigGreenMachine
07-21-2007, 01:52 PM
I think Derrick's Tri-Z450f is what we would be seeing. If only they were two strokes.

I have in my head what the 08/09 Tecate 250 will look like. :naughty: :D

ATC-Eric
07-21-2007, 03:14 PM
I had a guy come up to me at St. Joe and asked me when they started making trikes again!!!

That was right when I got the first bit of the bike done, so it was looking brand new.

Made my week!!!!!

Shawn72
07-21-2007, 08:04 PM
I had a young guy tell me he never knew there were high performance 3wheelers ever built. I just laughed. But, I also like when old school riders see it and understand and appreciate what it is.

super90
07-21-2007, 09:31 PM
I like the outdated look more than the new stuff coming out. Its getting out of hand, the raptor 700 rear plastics look retarded sticking up like that, the new can-ams are pretty ugly too. The front of the 450s I hate, but the plastics and everything else I love. But you can just replace that with a new hood. I always like the old school look, like the trx 250rs, tecates, atc 250 r, and 350x.

IVTRIZ
07-21-2007, 11:25 PM
in looks alone I would say, late Tecate3, Tri-Z then 250R. perfomance.. T3 would spank them all. You are right that some quads are just plane ugly.

Dracus124
07-22-2007, 10:46 AM
I am a Honda man

Hondas are the most beautiful machines. Trust my life with a Honda.

I'm happy the Honda 3 wheelers are old looking. It makes quads like a new born compared to a 60 year old asian woman. And when you just left the quads cover in sand. They know they got beat down by an older machine. :D

86atcracer
07-22-2007, 04:10 PM
i love the looks of the old bikes and i also like the newer stuff i own a 86 250r a 06 ltr and my parents have yfz's and i love the way they all look and soon to come i'll have a new can-am 450 also

Dammit!
07-22-2007, 06:59 PM
The latest generation trikes don't look dated simply because newer models were never produced to compare them too. For that reason, they're effectively frozen in time and don't age (aesthetically speaking).

firefirefire90
07-22-2007, 07:14 PM
The latest generation trikes don't look dated simply because newer models were never produced to compare them too. For that reason, they're effectively frozen in time and don't age (aesthetically speaking).

Its very true...I mean, you can definitely tell an 87 TRX250R from the 89 250R. The 87 looks older.

I love my 85, its just way to cool!

RedRider_AK
07-22-2007, 07:49 PM
I always liked the look of the "non-headlight-hood" TRX250R quad. I also agree that Derrick's YTZ450F is wicked.

I will however say this: If you restored an old Tri-Z or 250R, all completely down to the OEM specs and details, it will look slightly dated if only due to the color combinations they used back then, and the tires and other components. All the old machines came stock with some pretty unimpressive ballon-looking tires, as opposed to the newer "race tires" found on the Raptor and YFZ, etc. But that's all minor stuff.