PDA

View Full Version : 81 250r carb questions

brokdown
05-08-2003, 01:04 AM
The little plastic piece that keeps the slide from turning has worn out totally on my R. Lets it turn and sit down on the idle screw when you give it more than 1/3 throttle. My question is, can I use another model's carb. My bike has less than 10 min on my total resto/rebuild, and is completely stock other than a new DG silencer, and .050 overbore. Stock carb is a PE23A 27mm Keihen. Can I use a bigger carb from a later model, if it would fit right? And would that make it run like crap? Or would that give me some more power with the right jetting. I'm just trying to decide whether I should buy one off of ebay(have to be a later model, 81-83 used parts aren't very abundent...hence my problem of no seat) or spend $130 on a new one from honda(which is pretty cheap for a new carb I think) Only thing keeping me from buying a new stock carb is whether or not a bigger(maybe 32 or 34mm) carb would give me a little more power. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any replys

wanta250r
05-08-2003, 11:31 PM
bigger carb will help a lot.

Wickedfinger
05-09-2003, 12:44 AM
You might be able to get away with using a PE30A off the later Aircooleds but I dont know what the spigot diameters are or if they would match up. Did you check with Honda to see if there is a rebuild kit?. A bigger carb would give you more power but I'm sure you will have to spend long hours messing with the jetting untill you got it right.

BLAZERONE22
05-10-2003, 01:05 AM
Yeah, You can go with a carb out of a 85-86 250r mines out of a 85. I had to fart around with jetting a bit but its easy on the aircooleds. You might have to heat up the airbox and intake boots to get it to slide in but it will go. I could see what jets missing out of my kit and get you close on jetting. Mines jetted for 3400 ft. It made a noticable differance changing out the carb. I also dropped in a K&N filter. If you going to buy a different carb might as well go bigger.

BLAZERONE22
05-10-2003, 01:07 AM
Oh yeah, You'll have to use your choke setup on your carb, on a 85 carb or you'll have to reach under the pipe to get to it.

TopEnd250
05-10-2003, 01:16 AM
Hey I have a carb u can strip down if you want. Its a kehin 38. I think the floats need to be re-adjusted but other than than that its like new,ReJet too.