PDA

View Full Version : '84 restore.... what to do about the blown shocks?

86 Quad R
07-19-2007, 04:29 PM
i'm in the process of restoring a '84 250R and all of the shocks are shot. what are my options on addressing this issue? can i simply rebuild the front? if so where can i get the parts for this? i've searched high en low with very little luck.

the rear i understand will need to be sent off and rebuilt. any recomendations as to where i can send it to?

thanks in advance,

randy

SYKO
07-19-2007, 04:50 PM
the front you can just order new seals from honda and put fresh oil in the rear you will have to send off, im not sure as to where to send the rear, somebody will come in and say where im sure.

LonesomeTriZ
07-19-2007, 06:30 PM
This is a subject I have tried to address on here several times. From what I gathered you will have to send your shot to some one. There must be some one on here who knows how to rebiuld them.

Solid Snake
07-19-2007, 06:39 PM
A motorcycle dealer should be able to do it, any brand dealer. Or a motorcycle repair shop. We had our 200x shock rebuilt a few years ago by a guy down our street. New seals and oil and recharged the gas, not much to it for a shop with the tools.

LonesomeTriZ
07-19-2007, 06:53 PM
I had nothing but trouble trying to get a shop to rebiuld mine. That may be the area, but i have heard similar complaints from other people.

86 Quad R
07-20-2007, 02:47 AM
thats the trouble in my area. hardly anyone here knows how to do it. i'm not opposed to trying the front forks. the servicemanual will help me there but, i'm a little reluctant about the rear. kinda tuff finding a means to charge the nitrogen lol

atctim
07-20-2007, 12:40 PM
I had the local Yamaha Cycle Shop rebuild my Honda front forks. As someone else mentioned - these are no different than bike shocks.

ProCarbine2k1
07-20-2007, 12:54 PM
If I get everything in order, around October when race season is over I think Im going to start rebuilding shocks. Ill try to specialize in ATC's only if there is enough of a demand for it (which I think there will be). Its something Ive been wanting to do for a while, just have too much going on between racing, getting married in september, and trying to get squared away with the move.