PDA

View Full Version : Fork rebound

eddie pettengil
07-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Is there anyway I can slow the rebound down on my 86 ATC250r front end. They seem to compress good but there is hardly any rebound. thanks

RedRider_AK
07-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Thicker shock oil.

BigGreenMachine
07-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Thicker shock oil.

Yes a heavier weight oil would slow your rebound.

250rAL
07-19-2007, 09:36 AM
I can tell you exactly how to fix that problem but I doubt you'll do it. You need to weld shut one of the two small oil return holes on the bottom of the damping rod. I've mentioned this mod several times but nobody seems interested.

BigGreenMachine
07-19-2007, 10:07 AM
I would imagine that works great. Ride report from after doing so 250rAL?

eddie pettengil
07-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Very interested,great Idea, but I must ask some questions. Have you had this done to your own forks? Did you try heavy oil and could not come up with the rebound you were after? Did you end up with what you wanted. Would it be better to weld each hole just a bit smaller?

Could there be something wrong with my forks to make me think the rebound is way to fast. Are they all like this. I just rebuilt them because of that reason and found nothing wrong. They do the same after the rebuild with ATF.

250rAL
07-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Yes I did this to my machine back in the early 90's to correct the too quick rebound when landing from large jumps. My front would bounce back up and make it difficult to get back on the gas quickly. I planned on welding a hole shut and redrilling it smaller but I thought I'd try it with one hole shut before I drilled. I liked it that way so I left it. It really does make a noticable difference. I tried running different oils up to 30wt but that didn't have the effect I wanted. I now run 10wt. with the mod and no air pressure.

eddie pettengil
07-20-2007, 04:13 PM
I am having the same issue, when pulling in the clutch from end of 1st to 4th the wieght transfers to the front ,when I let off the cluth and on the gas hard the wieght seems to rocket ship to the rear wheels and almost like bounces the front tire off the ground. If I could get the front to just rebound a little slower I could be in the throttle hard and still steer.

I'm really going to look into this and thank you very much for the reply. Have you ever thought about an idea to make it adjustable.

edog
07-20-2007, 08:08 PM
I put Progressive spring in mine and it went away.Also added 10 PSI to the shocks.