PDA

View Full Version : 250r PROBLEM

3Wheels4Life
07-16-2007, 02:39 PM
just put the motor back together and started it up and ran fine then after a little while it seems like it jumps into first gear and dies it will roll after it dies so it is not in gear if you hold the clutch in this does not happen :wondering it will drive if you put it in gear but im afraid to drive it because i dont want to break anything anyone have any idea why this is happening?? :confused: THANKS Bryan

Dirtcrasher
07-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Was your clutch perfect before? Sounds like the basket is grooved up a bit or something is worn out. If you split the cases and something in the tranny was wrong, you'd know it in the first 10 minutes.

3Wheels4Life
07-16-2007, 06:18 PM
I put in a brand new hinson basket and new plates the case was split but i never touched the tranny

jadleybray
07-17-2007, 02:40 AM
if the spring(s) in between gears in the tranny are wore out, it can cause this also.

Dirtcrasher
07-17-2007, 06:24 PM
if the spring(s) in between gears in the tranny are wore out, it can cause this also.

Hmmm, what model has springs between the gears in their tranny??

Jason Hall
07-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Is It possable that one of the shift forks Is not lined up Into the groove on the trans gear? The unheld gear might be vibrating over Into another gear then shutting the engine off. Just a thought.

3Wheels4Life
07-18-2007, 06:02 PM
That is what i was thinkin but wanted someone elses opinion before i split the case ill take a look and let you know thanks bryan

Dirtcrasher
07-18-2007, 06:13 PM
I would pull the clutch cover and clutch. Get a bolt that fits the center of the clutch main shaft. Chop the head of the bolt, put the rest of your bolt in a cordless drill and put it back in the mainshaft. Spin the shaft slowly with the drill and shift through all the gears. I do a "dry run" with all my trannies. It is very easy to do and a quick check that everything inside is operating correctly. It isn't under any huge force either so there won't be any damage to the internals if it's wrong.

Steve

grafitti911
07-18-2007, 06:19 PM
dirtcrasher>> can you do that on automatics too? like a 250es

Dirtcrasher
07-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Course you can, the clutch on an ES is on the mainshaft and the crankshaft has the centrifical clutch. Yank them off and go to town...

Dirtcrasher
07-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Did either of you guys try the "dry run"?? I posted?? Let us know what you found...