PDA

View Full Version : 200S back in business... sort of...???

maxfior
07-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Well folks. I got all my parts last Friday for my 200S, it needed the clutch replaced as it slipped very bad and a few other thing. I'll get some pictures later on today. The clutch install went pretty okay for the most part. It is definitely harder to work on an semi-auto machine then just a plain old manual box. Taking the auto-clutch off was really the only pain, as it was hard to find my dang 30mm socket...
---
So, after getting everything off and putting the new stuff on, I cleaned up the cases, installed a new gasket and got her down from the work table. Tossed in some oil, added gas, and bingo, first pull. Started and ran good... So I thought...
---
Noticed that the 200S shifts good, I had to adjust the auto-clutch a little bit, so it wouldn't clunk into gear and check case bolts and oil levels to make sure everything was okay... Everything seemed fine.
---
So, after about 30 minutes of ripping around on little track and roosting down the street, I come back and notice that the engine will not idle. So I turn it up a bit. Seems good, but now there is surging. I put the thing away since it was going to be dinner time.
---
After din, din, started first pull again, ran really nice for 15 or so minutes, but then started surging again, like it's not getting fuel or something. I HAVE NOT, taken the carb out yet, to look things over and I have not changed the in-line fuel filter yet. I'm just looking for an idea before I tear into this thing as it has me baffled. Part of me things that there is junk in the float bowl or maybe some goo in the carb that needs to be cleaned and then blown out with air. I read the "carb" section sticky and there are some good points that I'll look into... But any ideas would be great. Thanks a lot guys.

Max

team-red-rider
07-16-2007, 01:13 PM
try it with out the fuel cap and report back...sounds like (i think this is the term?> ) vapor lock

maxfior
07-16-2007, 01:18 PM
try it with out the fuel cap and report back...sounds like (i think this is the term?> ) vapor lock

you know, that's what I was thinking too... maybe vapor lock, it was pretty NASTY hot out yesterday... I'll give that a try too before I rip into anything... other ideas are welcome too... Thanks!

Max

team-red-rider
07-16-2007, 01:44 PM
*Edited**Edited* hot and the hot here is aALOT diffrent lol..in florida nasty hot is like death to u guys lol...an *Edited**Edited* nasty hot is like winter to us lol

maxfior
07-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Well... It's not vapor lock. It ran okay for about 2 minutes or so, then started acting like it was not getting fuel. I'm thinking that maybe that fuel filer is plugged or there is junk in the float bowl. It seems like it is just not getting enough gas to the motor. Any other ideas... I bet this carb needs taken off and cleaned well too. When I picked this machine up, it looked like it had been sitting for a few years.
Thanks all!

Max

maxfior
07-16-2007, 01:46 PM
*Edited**Edited* hot and the hot here is aALOT diffrent lol..in florida nasty hot is like death to u guys lol...an *Edited**Edited* nasty hot is like winter to us lol

Oh man, I forgot to look at where you were at... You're RIGHT! Florida IS VERY NASTY HOT! My parents live in Sarasota, while they are pretty close to the gulf, it's still nasty. When you are on the beach the water there is like bath water, maybe 80's or higher. It's crazy!

Max

84honda200s
07-16-2007, 02:09 PM
id say clean the carb out. my 200s did the sane exact thing and all it needed was a real good cleaning. just remember where all the settings are.

team-red-rider
07-16-2007, 02:41 PM
yeh florida SUXXXXX

maxfior
07-16-2007, 02:41 PM
id say clean the carb out. my 200s did the sane exact thing and all it needed was a real good cleaning. just remember where all the settings are.

Yeah... I'm going to leave worky a little early to clean that sucker up! I have a feeling after I got it back together and was able to "really drive" it, something might have got knocked loose or goo moved and plugged something... Now, as far as all the settings, I'm not going to mess with the clip, I'll have to just check the specs in the book... Good thinking though, thanks man!

Max

maxfior
07-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Yes sir! That's all she needed, was a good cleaning! :) There was all sorts of muddy dusty looking junk in there... Cleaned everything and put it back together and all seems well in 200S world... Now it's time to tackle the fork bearings... ;)
Thanks all!

Max

84honda200s
07-16-2007, 05:02 PM
i dont know if its a 200s thing but even with my airbox and so on i was always cleaning that dam carb. but now im moved up to a 200x carb and havnt had any problems since.

84honda200s
07-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Yes sir! That's all she needed, was a good cleaning! :) There was all sorts of muddy dusty looking junk in there... Cleaned everything and put it back together and all seems well in 200S world... Now it's time to tackle the fork bearings... ;)
Thanks all!

Max

no problem. glad to be a help to ya.

maxfior
07-16-2007, 05:28 PM
i dont know if its a 200s thing but even with my airbox and so on i was always cleaning that dam carb. but now im moved up to a 200x carb and havnt had any problems since.

Interesting on the 200X Carb... I might have to give that a try if I'm still having issues... So far so good... And now that you mention it, my airbox was looking a little bit nasty... I might have to give that a wash too... Thanks again!

Max