PDA

View Full Version : 225 Yamaha starting problem

tri snort
07-15-2007, 05:11 PM
1983 Yamaha 225. My old 225 will start right up if I use the pull rope, but I thought I would put a battery in it and be able to use the starter. The starter turns the engine over, but it will not start. I can grab the rope and it will fire right up. It has started using the starter a few times, but very seldom will it. What may be causing this. It gets ridden very little anymore so using the ropes not to bad for me, but my wife has decided she wants to ride and can not start it with the rope. I'm not always home to start it for her and I got to keep her happy. Any suggestions.

ATCwithdrawals
07-15-2007, 09:42 PM
I have had several machines that would not start with the electric starter because of the starter not turning the engine over fast enough{possibly worn out starter} or does it try to backfire back through the carb when you try to start it with the electric starter?? if so your valves are not seetin properly,possibly out of adjustment.

RedRider_AK
07-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Could be a dead battery, could be corroded wires leading to and from the starter/battery/anywhere in the starter circuit. Might be a worn starter.

mark38090
07-15-2007, 10:58 PM
I am having the same problem with one of my YTM200's right now...

Sargon2112
07-16-2007, 12:02 AM
My 85 DX has that problem if the battery gets even a little low...

tri snort
07-16-2007, 01:49 AM
I have had several machines that would not start with the electric starter because of the starter not turning the engine over fast enough{possibly worn out starter} or does it try to backfire back through the carb when you try to start it with the electric starter?? if so your valves are not seetin properly,possibly out of adjustment.
No back firing throught carb. Battery is new and charged. It turns the engine over easy, but it wont fire unless I use the rope. It's not that big of a deal to use the rope, just thought there may be an easy fix for it and besides the old lady probably should stay off it. I could see it getting her down pretty easy. This is the first one shes ever been on. The 3 wheeler is in excellent condition and has never been abused. It does sit sometimes as long as 6 months without being rode. I have had it for over 17 years. When I bought it it had been used by my uncle to go get his mail. He lived about an 1/8 mile from the road. It was about as close to perfect as it could be. He never left it out, always garage kept. He started hearing all the BS horror stories:mad: about trikes and sold it to me and did the deed and went out and bought one of them things that have 4 wheels.
I'm 43 years old and still get around on three wheels just fine. It's funny to be out on it and hear what some people say about it. Some of the younger kids has never even seen a three wheeler except pictures. I have always had one since 1979. I have went through several since my first Honda 110. When my first 110 finally bit the dust it had to have over 10,000 very hard miles on it. The cylinder was bored to the max and both rear hubs were welded to the axel, which was bent. Chain tensioner welded to the adjustment shaft. Gas tank paint wore down to bare metal from rubbing on my knees. Not a stitch of brakes. On the third set of tires.You talk about a trashed out sad looking three wheeler, this one had to be tops. It sure was fun doing it. I went through 2- 185S's, a 200, I can't rember the model of this one, but it was a 250 white 4 stroke, blue seat, with full suspension and alot of fun. It was in my opinion, not the fastest, but the best trike Honda ever produced. The last Honda was a 250R which was the fastest one I have owned, and it would put the fear of God in you. If you were not an experienced rider, this trike could hurt you. It would get up and go in a short time. I lost about a pound of flesh off of the part of your body that you sit on when it came on over doing a wheelie going about 50 mph on a black top. Worst and most painful case of road rash I ever had. It to was a blast to ride. It took awhile for me to get used to it being a two stroker and its power band. It was a complete different experience than the 4 strokers that I had played with in the past. God I wish I had it back.
Since I got the Yamaha I have settled down and have taken care of this one. Its funny how long one will last if you use a little common sense, which I never had while younger.
Sorry about the long winded post, but those really were the good old days:D .

RacerRichie
07-16-2007, 09:54 AM
starter is not spinning fast enought to get her fired up. You are pulling with more force than a starter motor